Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Suggestions please (yeah I know it's been done before)

Hi,

I'm hoping to get a trip in next year, guys can anyone suggest a hotel that meets the following criteria :

Quiet area

Pool / Gym (Must have a pool at least)

Clean rooms with a decent size (38 SQ M upwards)

Good English speaking staff

Within a walk to the end of the road for a baht bus route.

Price not too important but under 1800 per night inc taxes etc would be good.

I'm looking for one in the Bukhao Area and one in the Soi 2/3/4/5 area of town. I last stayed at the Blue Sky in Soi 5, but they're shit at answering emails and I've tried to book through Agoda on the site here, but my provisional dates won't come up.

Free virtual beer to you all, and Merry Xmas. :party :party :party :gulp :gulp :gulp :nod

Edited by Butch

Short, Sir, you are a top banana. Will drop them an email.

Try the AUGUST SUIETES

Would suit your needs perfectly

MRBILL2

• Upvote 1

Hi Mr Bill,

I did ping the August suites an email last year, i was going to stay in July but it seemed overpriced for what it actually was, they were asking 1800 baht per night iirc when I emailed them, which to be honest is taking the piss, especially as the location isn't that great. Thanks anyway, but August / April suites are a non starter for me.

Edited by Butch

Sorry but I cannot recommend the D. Stayed there once but not twice. Crap pool area.

Suggest that you trawl Soi Diana. There is the Areca and two well recommended LK properties. Great locations. All the extras and girl friendly.

• Upvote 1

August and April suites are a no go for me. I'm not keen on the location and 1800 baht a night is way overpriced for what you get. I can get a better room in an LK hotel, if I liked the decor in them (which I don't - it reminds me of my Aunt Joans council house).

D apt sent me a reply within 24 hours which is always a good sign. I've read reviews on Trip Advisor and it seems to be well recommended.

Teelack, what was it that you thought wasn't good about the place?. Pool area is important to me as that's where I spend a majority of my early mornings and afternoons, so somewhere clean and uncrowded with decent loungers is important.

Edited by Butch

Absolute Nirvana Place. Also it's in Jomtien. Can't remember the prices but It's got everything else you want, including a gym and a pool.

• Upvote 1

August and April suites are a no go for me. I'm not keen on the location and 1800 baht a night is way overpriced for what you get. I can get a better room in an LK hotel, if I liked the decor in them (which I don't - it reminds me of my Aunt Joans council house).

D apt sent me a reply within 24 hours which is always a good sign. I've read reviews on Trip Advisor and it seems to be well recommended.

Teelack, what was it that you thought wasn't good about the place?. Pool area is important to me as that's where I spend a majority of my early mornings and afternoons, so somewhere clean and uncrowded with decent loungers is important.

Right, where do I start.

The pool area is small. There are very few loungers or seats and the only cover was a sail cloth possibly 4x4. I really felt sorry for the girls as you know what Thai girls and sunlight are like. If there was no space under the sail cloth they scuttled around trying to find a shaded spot. Just to add more pain the pool got a bug in and it closed down for a week or so. I had no issues with the room or the attitudes of the staff but for me the pool, or lack of it is a deal breaker and I would rather head back to Soi 2 and the Sabai properties.

All I can tell you in summary is this. I have stayed or visited hotels all over Pattaya and of those with a pool this is the worst that I have stayed in. I have seen worse but not much.

Like yourself I need the daily swim and a place to stretch out and have a comfortable read. I have also found that the pool are can be a good social spot for making the odd acquaintance. One other thing is that if you are into LT or LLT girls a pool with recliners and shade id a necessity.

I would appreciate it some one in Pattaya would make a trip up there (its on the roof) and gave an up to date report.

• Upvote 2

Butch

This recommendation is a bit betwixt and between the 2 areas you've mentioned, however it does tick many of your boxes. It's View Talay 6 next to Central Festival.

Large pool with several loungers and areas of shade from the trees. No gym though.

Apartment size is 48 sq m.

Definitely on a baht bus route whichever direction you want to go as it has a private exit/entry onto Beach Road and the main entrance is on 2nd Road. You are only about 15-20 minutes walk of Soi Buckhaow.

There are several different agencies that rent apartments there, so some speak English better than others, but the two agencies I've used I've not had a language problem with them (Honeys and Dancewatchers). To a certain degree you decide on how often your room is cleaned and some include cleaning in the room price, but Dancewatchers charge on top of the room price.

Quiet area? Well, hard to fully define that. Across the road from it is the 'Made in Thailand' complex and depending how close to that end of the building and how high/low your room is will depend on your noise level, however I never found it a deal breaker. Plus if you like beer bars, it's not a bad complex to have across the road!

Prices vary, depending on which agency you use and location of your apartment within the complex. Dancewatchers are often the higher price , but the rooms are generally better, however the other apartments aren't bad. The longer you stay, the lower the daily price as well.

I've stayed there a few times, for about 3 weeks at a time and will probably stay there again next year for a couple of weeks. Some guys here have had long term lets of a few months, so what may niggle them may not have been an issue for me only staying a few weeks. It's definitely worth considering, even as a form of comparison for other places you look at.

Hope that helps and if you have any other queries about it, just let me know

KM

• Upvote 1

Hi chaps and thanks for the detailed responses Teelak and Keyman.

Given what you've said about D'apt Teelack, I think I'll give it a miss. It's a shame because everything else seems to be pretty spot on, however a decent pool is an absolute must and I'd never consider a hotel without one. Actually Teelack the only reason I changed from the Sabai wing last time was that the rooms are getting very tired, plus I had a big problem with ants in the room. Do you know if they've had a refurb lately?. Also, have you ever stayed in the Empress - if so any thoughts?.

Keyman I'll have athink about the apt idea. I was considering a DW condo rental a couple of years back, but the price was a bit higher than I wanted to pay at the time. these days I spend a bit more on accomodation so will definitely check the website out and see what they're offering. Cheers mate, I actually had forgotten all about Dancewatcher!.

Mars, Jomtien is too far out for me, I also visit my friends in Naklua and it'll be a long journey every day there and back!

definitely some food for thought there guys, thankyou all.

Given what you've said about D'apt Teelack, I think I'll give it a miss. It's a shame because everything else seems to be pretty spot on, however a decent pool is an absolute must and I'd never consider a hotel without one. Actually Teelack the only reason I changed from the Sabai wing last time was that the rooms are getting very tired, plus I had a big problem with ants in the room. Do you know if they've had a refurb lately?. Also, have you ever stayed in the Empress - if so any thoughts?.

Keyman I'll have athink about the apt idea. I was considering a DW condo rental a couple of years back, but the price was a bit higher than I wanted to pay at the time. these days I spend a bit more on accomodation so will definitely check the website out and see what they're offering. Cheers mate, I actually had forgotten all about Dancewatcher!.

Mars, Jomtien is too far out for me, I also visit my friends in Naklua and it'll be a long journey every day there and back!

definitely some food for thought there guys, thankyou all.

Thanks for the comments. I agree that the last time I stayed at a Sabai property it was a bit tired but still good value for money. Sorry I cannot help you about a refurb. As for the Empress. It is new enough to be good but no, I have not stayed there. Excuse the repeat comment but I still think that in terms of location and within your price structure Soi Diana is worth doing some Agoda trawling.

I would also suggest August Suites

I read/watched something recently that said not to 'walk in' as the rates were much higher than booking through an agency. Same may apply if you try to make a direct booking via email? Otherwise looks to be a good choice, fitting the OP points.

The other alternative to Dancewatchers is Honeys. http://www.honeyscoffeehouse.com - they are based in the complex, unlike DW, and speak reasonable English. They include cleaning within their price, but they can be a little hit or miss when they turn up, but easily resolved as they are only downstairs. As I mentioned earlier, there are other agencies in the complex, but I can't confirm what their apartments are like, but may be able to find their details if you need them.

Just check which side of the building the apartment is on. On the South side, you get the views and often cost a bit more than on the North side, which gives you a view of Central Festival or the Hilton and the hum of their aircon units!

KM

I like the August suites as firstly the rooms are huge. Nice pool, Nice fitness suite and also secure parking for the Moped.

However I have noticed their price increase of nearly 100% in 2 years

• Upvote 1

I stayed in D Apartments about 3 years ago.so They referred t it as the New Wing I assume there is an Old Wing as well. I paid about 1000 baht pr night over the Songkram week. We are not talking about 5 star accommodation but it was comfortable friendly and clean. I liked the pool but I wasn't doing laps. They were very accommodating with my visitors with no extra costs.

Good value for money and an easy stroll to Made in Thailand complex if you want company

If you liked Sabai Wing before but had issues with the age of the rooms, have you considered their newer Studio or Superior rooms that were only built a couple of years ago?

They're also actually cheaper than the old Sabai Wing rooms, which haven't been refurbed other than having the old CRT televisions replaced with wall-mounted LCD ones.

• Upvote 1

Hi Monkeyman

I have considered it, and it might be an option for my next trip. I'm finding that some of the hotels I would have considered a few years ago are out of the running now, the "Flipper" and "Eastiny" groups for example , perhaps I'm getting more discerning as I age. The Empress looks fine but again, being a fussy bugger, the rooms don't have balconies and the pool area is too small.

After trawling through Agoda and Trip advisor, looking at some potentials only to read in the reviews a list of horror stories, it seems that the one place in LOS which is saturated with accomodation still hasn't come up with anything.

I'll keep on looking, meanwhile if anyone has anymore suggestions, i'm all ears!.

Right I've whittled it down to 2 , the LK Royal Wing which has better decor in it than the LK Royal Suites, which look like my aunt joans council house, and the Sabai Empress.

The Empress is slightly cheaper but not much, however, the rooms have no balconies and the pool area seems small as mentioned. The RW has decent size rooms, not sure about the pool or location though. I know Buakhao has a baht bus route, but does it go past the end of the road (in both directions) that the RW sits on?. I imagine (hope) it does.

Reservation:

I usually arrange for a friend to put down a nights deposit and the pay in THB on arrival or the following day, Barclays give a crap rate and charge a %tage per transaction, so by doing this I often save a chunk of cash. Sabai group are fine with this, and in fact allow me to just pay on arrival but not sure if the LK group are the same. Agoda is too unreliable I've found so won't be using them.

Edited by Butch

I am looking at LK Renaissance Hotel , rooms are good size 60sqm for superior or deluxe, some reviews say its great, some say its a dump,

i will just roll the dice and take a punt, and hope it works out ok.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been looking at Empress online, looks very Nice, looking at Hard Rock Hotel aswell, given up on Avani.

i still have 2 months before my trip, so plenty of time.

I stayed there on my first trip, the thing that irked me were the tiny balconys.

other than that it was all good, being able to enter via the Family Mart is a bonus, not that the desk bothered to chase me to card the girls anyway.

Cando is another and the cheapest ive found. Office is also located in the building directly across from Honeys coffee house.

Seems to be run by Norwegians but the Thai girls that work there who you deal with have good English.

Stayed with them 3 times, had an issue of a leaking toilet once, they had it fixed the next day which was reasonable as i arrived in the evening.

One thing ill recommend, if youre staying here look for rooms with a washing machine, the laundromats down stairs can be pricey so its convenient to just grab a bottle of washing liquid and get your girls to do your washing before they leave your room 555

• Upvote 1