Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Thoughts on swimming in the water

I usually do running as my cardio but need something lower impact for a while. I've stayed away from the water upon hearing rumors that the Thais run their sewage lines right into the gulf. Sounds preposterous but in a 3rd world country one can't be sure.

Are the rumors overstated, or is it really best to avoid swimming in the ocean?

I usually do running as my cardio but need something lower impact for a while. I've stayed away from the water upon hearing rumors that the Thais run their sewage lines right into the gulf. Sounds preposterous but in a 3rd world country one can't be sure.

Just take a look at the concrete outlet building located right next door to the PBG pier!!!

That should answer any questions you have regarding sewage in the sea!

Just take a look at the concrete outlet building located right next door to the PBG pier!!!

That should answer any questions you have regarding sewage in the sea!

Just fill a glass with the sea water then make your mind up

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

PBG pier? Is that the small one next to beer garden?

Yes.

Despite the numbers I see on the beaches and in the water....(Most of them having anyway gone in for a piss).....I keep away from the polluted stuff.

When it rains like it did yesterday, with all the street grime and shit washed into the mix......You're not swimming.....You're going through the motions.

• Upvote 1

I have mentioned this before but unsure if its the truth. There was a report that due to all the food and wastes in the beach area that it was attracting sea snakes. Truth or not I propose to stick to the hotel pool.

Whether they are being attracted or not, sea snakes don't have the ability to open their jaws wider to strike as land snakes do. So unless you're very unlucky and get bitten on a toe or finger, not much to worry about. Infections are the bigger worry.

Edited by Bob Belzy

Whether they are being attracted or not, sea snakes don't have the ability to open their jaws wider to strike as land snakes do. So unless you're very unlucky and get bitten on a toe or finger, not much to worry about. Infections are the bigger worry.

Sea snakes may not be the most venomous in the world, however, their venom is more toxic than that of Mojave rattlesnakes and king cobras. Sea snakes venom contains some of the same chemicals found in cobra venom, only more concentrated in form.

I might worry, but it is just the filth of the sea in the Jomtiem, Pattaya and Wong Amat areas that would keep me out.

Concentrations of stinging jellyfish have also been a concern.

Edited by jacko

Despite the numbers I see on the beaches and in the water....(Most of them having anyway gone in for a piss).....I keep away from the polluted stuff.

When it rains like it did yesterday, with all the street grime and shit washed into the mix......You're not swimming.....You're going through the motions.

Piss said to be good for jellyfish stings. Along with vinegar.

The rumours are nonsense. Sewage is treated in Pattaya city but the plants can be overwhelmed with flood waters just like anywhere else. The drainage in Pattaya is so poor the treatment plants get overwhelmed often. The drainage runoff is likely more toxic because folks/businesses often just dump crap in the streets/ditches, many/most which are not connected to treatment plants.

Take your hints from locals, just like anywhere else. Most Thais avoid swimming in Pattaya beaches ... chinese not so much.

The rumours are nonsense. Sewage is treated in Pattaya city but the plants can be overwhelmed with flood waters just like anywhere else. The drainage in Pattaya is so poor the treatment plants get overwhelmed often. The drainage runoff is likely more toxic because folks/businesses often just dump crap in the streets/ditches, many/most which are not connected to treatment plants.

Take your hints from locals, just like anywhere else. Most Thais avoid swimming in Pattaya beaches ... chinese not so much.

A huge new pipe has been embedded under Soi Watboon in Jomtien. It runs from a sewage plant somewhere and the out about 100m into the sea. The road was dug up and closed for months....... and the dredgers and pipe layers visible in the bay opposite for almost as long. During instillation in the rainy season raw sewage flooded Jomtien beach road from traffic calming bump to bump. Bricks and slabs were laid by local shops so that people could cross beach road. But baht buses would just stop wherever and the passengers took their chances sploshing down into the stuff.

When the waters receded crews were out with disinfectant sprays to clean up.

Then the rains would come again and so would last night's 'gang kee lek'

Thankfully we've gotten past all that ...However my point. I'm informed by a know-it-all, well-connected local that many of the new builds feed into pipes that feed directly into this main pipe and just mingles in with the treated sewage on it's journey to the sea.

I'm not 100% sure that's true .......but I wouldn't put it past them. Would you?

Edited by atlas2

A huge new pipe has been embedded under Soi Watboon in Jomtien. It runs from a sewage plant somewhere and the out about 100m into the sea. The road was dug up and closed for months....... and the dredgers and pipe layers visible in the bay opposite for almost as long. During instillation in the rainy season raw sewage flooded Jomtien beach road from traffic calming bump to bump. Bricks and slabs were laid by local shops so that people could cross beach road. But baht buses would just stop wherever and the passengers took their chances sploshing down into the stuff.

When the waters receded crews were out with disinfectant sprays to clean up.

Then the rains would come again and so would last night's 'gang kee lek'

Thankfully we've gotten past all that ...However my point. I'm informed by a know-it-all, well-connected local that many of the new builds feed into pipes that feed directly into this main pipe and just mingles in with the treated sewage on it's journey to the sea.

I'm not 100% sure that's true .......but I wouldn't put it past them. Would you?

I'm not in the know either but I have worked on similar sewage/drainage projects world-wide and it would be unusual to undertake a large infrastructure project like that just to move untreated raw sewage a little differently.

Just my experience, but it is more likely the pipe part you are referring to which a well-connected know-it-all has surmised is to do just that is rather an initial part of a project that will take the feed to a treatment facility or new aggregation point to then head to treatment and that the treatment facilities are 'further down the road.'

If you want to swim in the sea , then you must go to Koh Larn. I have been a few times to the far side of the island and the water is clean and clear. at least it was the last time I went but that was 9/10 years ago. I now only swim in the pools that are in the places I stay.Not for any minor amount of cash would I swim in either Pattaya or Jomtien.

A couple of photos from my walk yesterday on the way down to PBG.

I have seen it much worse than that were you could almost walk on the floating debris and after rain the sea was black.

Saw what looked like a Russian lady in the sea with a baby. Personally I would not dip my big toe in there.

20171229_112358 (Small).jpg

20171229_112451 (Small).jpg

• Upvote 1

Even back in the early 80's we were warned never to swim in Pattaya bay and if we wanted a sea swim to go to Jomtien. I did swim in the bay in the 70's though and there didnt seem to be a problem. Water was clean then and plenty of fish (live ones)

We go a bit further down the coast where the water is better - na jomtien, Bang Saray , Navy Beach. You need transport but a songthaew could be hired if you dont own a vehicle

We go a bit further down the coast where the water is better - na jomtien, Bang Saray , Navy Beach. You need transport but a songthaew could be hired if you dont own a vehicle

It does get better, but raw sewage and other BS is still a big problem. There are no treatment plants in this area. So business and houses waste water goes right into the storm drains...then into the creeks.

Take a look at the outlet near the Ambassador hotel. Disgusting.

It does get better, but raw sewage and other BS is still a big problem. There are no treatment plants in this area. So business and houses waste water goes right into the storm drains...then into the creeks.

Take a look at the outlet near the Ambassador hotel. Disgusting.

There is a creek that flows into the sea in Naklua too, just where the seasonal weekend Walking St starts on the Banglamung end.

Not my idea of somewhere to sit and enjoy a bit of food and drink with the smell but many do. As I looked at it on Sunday evening a big collection of garbage drifted downstream, obviously recently dumped from around the corner.

Edited by jacko