Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

China Southern 777 ER

I have been looking for flights into Bangkok and by far the lowest cost is China Southern. It is in fact the lowest cost I have ever seen. It does have a 3 hour stop in Guangzhou but I don't care as most of the other details are spot on. The plane is stated to be a 777-ER.

Has anyone any comments to make re the airline or the plane type? It is yonks since I have used a Chinese airline. Skytrax isn't all bad but some personal feed back would be appreciated.

I flew on one from JFK business class and I thought it was terrific for the price. Transferring through Guangzhou was a breeze and the lounge was decent. Even had time for a shower. The only negative I found was some of the FA's English skills were lacking and they had apparently never heard of a Bacardi and coke.

I found that the seat cushions were very thin and uncomfortable after a few hours. Also, the recline takes up your leg room and if you are over 6 feet, as I am, it put my knees into the seat in front of me and made it difficult to get my feet under that seat.

The bonus was that the person reclining in front of you did not invade your space.

I also thought the toilets were small.

I understand that the 777 is cheaper to operate, but I'm still partial to the A330.

In my opening post I mentioned that the fare was the lowest that I had seen. Well bugger me! Today I logged on and that price was reduced again by over $160! Booked on the spot.

Thanks for the feed back.

On China Southern can you book your seat online? I have been looking at them for a while but hesitant to take a budget carrier for such a long flight

On China Southern can you book your seat online? I have been looking at them for a while but hesitant to take a budget carrier for such a long flight

I have never bothered booking seats as I always ask for the emergency seats or I am last on and look for a bunch of empty ones. I am usually lucky and land the extra leg room.

When you talk about a budget carrier I have to say that for my money when you are at the back they are all 'budget' and I have flown with many carriers. There seems to me to be very little difference between them. As for China Southern. I flew with them possibly four years ago and mentioned in my trip report that what they needed was a few years of dealing Euro passengers in order to understand their needs. According to what I read in Skytraks they have indeed learned their lessons and I don't see that the reviews are any worse than Thai Air or Swiss Air for example.

I have never bothered booking seats as I always ask for the emergency seats or I am last on and look for a bunch of empty ones. I am usually lucky and land the extra leg room.

When you talk about a budget carrier I have to say that for my money when you are at the back they are all 'budget' and I have flown with many carriers. There seems to me to be very little difference between them. As for China Southern. I flew with them possibly four years ago and mentioned in my trip report that what they needed was a few years of dealing Euro passengers in order to understand their needs. According to what I read in Skytraks they have indeed learned their lessons and I don't see that the reviews are any worse than Thai Air or Swiss Air for example.

Thanks for the feedback, i just may give them a go this year. Just hard to give up EVA and terminal 2 at TaoYuan airport, kind of like an old shoe but for a couple hundred $$$ less???

Thanks for the feedback, i just may give them a go this year. Just hard to give up EVA and terminal 2 at TaoYuan airport, kind of like an old shoe but for a couple hundred $$$ less???

I completely agree with you and understand but against Thai Air special price for instance the saving for me is $600 and that is not to be sneezed at. I also tie in well with regional flights and arriving at 10.50 am is like having an extra day.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

That is a brilliant price Jim. That's $400 less than the best price I can get flying from here. Would be worth flying to Auckland first (Which I try to avoid). Arriving at that time is great too, virtually every flight I get arrived at midnight. Well done that man.

That is a brilliant price Jim. That's $400 less than the best price I can get flying from here. Would be worth flying to Auckland first (Which I try to avoid). Arriving at that time is great too, virtually every flight I get arrived at midnight. Well done that man.

Hi there and thanks. Here are a few more details. The direct Thai Air has been about $1750 for the last 2/3 years so I gave up using them. They recently extended to flying seven days a week and have cut the price to $1200. The price that I have paid via STA Travel is $604.00. Here is the point. The plane leaves at midnight from Auckland with a stop over in China and then arrives in Bangkok at 10.40am and this should land me in Pattaya by 1.00PM. Haircut, bank, money exchange swim and nap and its like getting an extra night in town. The Thai Air flight gets in at 8.55 PM. You will also note that the flight follows a normal sleep pattern whereas the Thai Air expects you to shut up and sleep about 6.00PM NZ time. No wonder I never sleep.

On the way back the flight departs Bangkok at a very reasonable 6.55PM (Allows me to book a 250 baht bus trip at 3.00PM on Bell Bus before I leave home) and gets into Auckland at 4.00PM. This is the only drawback against the Thai Air direct but there is a flight Jetstar to Hawkes Bay at 6.55 PM and this was all up only $79! I am happy for the trade off.

I checked STA and they have a load of dates at the above price. I got in as soon as I saw it as I never expect to see it again. As a side issue. I am happy to travel Malaysian however they have stopped the morning flight into Auckland and the only time that you can arrive now in midnight. The price has also gone up. I enjoyed their budget service so I am sorry about this.