Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Firepork at The Avenue, 2nd Road

I have usually shied away from those restaurants in Pattaya offering the 'cook at the table' experience' as they seemed to mainly consist of boiling up chopped veggies. This looks lovely though and I love pork! I'm looking forward to EP's review of the dishes.

You certainly won't lack for choice from their bar.

Top shelf drinks look difficult!

Great report but I just don't see the market as you mentioned.

Any comment on prices?

Sorry this got so fractured. The review still isn't finished, but I may have to wait a bit for the final revision and comments. My meal cost 395 baht for the grilled pork and accompaniments, plus 40 baht for the Coke Zero. To that 435 baht had been added 7% VAT (31 baht) but no service charge. I left 20 baht of the change from my 500-baht note on the tray and gave the girl who did the "grilling" 40 baht in her hand.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

Thanks again, Evil, for your post/review. I have only been to two Korean BBQ places and, in each, the Air-con was not up to scratch and I sweated profusely throughout the meal, as the heat from all the stoves rose into the air. Swore not to ever go back. However, if I can have a girl cook my dinner at the table (both times I went, I had to cook my own) and the air con is very efficient, then I may make an exception in April when I again arrive in Patts (maybe).

... and gave the girl who did the "grilling" 40 baht in her hand.

With all the attention she gave you, I'm surprised you didn't ask for her number.

Oh, by the way, were there any Korean staff?

Not in a service capacity. I don't know about the chef/cooks, although they looked Thai to me. There was one young man hovering in the background who I thought might have been a Korean owner or manager, but that's only a guess. I also thought Firepork might be a Korean chain restaurant that had opened a branch in Pattaya, but the hostess/cashier said it wasn't.

Evil

Another good one is FastStone Resizer.

Yes, FastStone is very good. It's what I use if I'm using a computer in an InterNet cafe or otherwise don't have access to Photoshop. It's also very good if you have to batch process a large number of photos.

Evil

Thanks again, Evil, for your post/review. I have only been to two Korean BBQ places and, in each, the Air-con was not up to scratch and I sweated profusely throughout the meal, as the heat from all the stoves rose into the air. Swore not to ever go back. However, if I can have a girl cook my dinner at the table (both times I went, I had to cook my own) and the air con is very efficient, then I may make an exception in April when I again arrive in Patts (maybe).

A 'real' Korean BBQ has a pull down venting steel chimney affair over the grill that 'vacuums' most of the unpleasantness away

But you'll only find this in Bangkok

2017-06-02%2019.55.01-1.jpg?raw=1

Very sensible Regyai; the 2 I went to obviously didn't have that facility. It must add quite an expense to the restaurant, but would bring in more customers.

• 2 weeks later...

This may sound like a silly question but how are pork bellies served in the west. I googled pork bellies and sounds like it is unprocessed bacon. The meat comes from the belly side of the pig. So we aren't talked pulled pork or pork chops, or pork sausages, right? I live in the Northeast part of the states. Pork is not that popular where I live. Perhaps down south, pork is more popular. Aside from bacon and ham ,the only pork that I normally eat are pan fried pork strips at a Chinese restaurant I go. BTW, I wouldn't mind trying some fire pork with some white rice next time I am in town.

Edited by PATFAN

This may sound like a silly question but how are pork bellies served in the west. I googled pork bellies and sounds like it is unprocessed bacon. The meat comes from the belly side of the pig. So we aren't talked pulled pork or pork chops, or pork sausages, right? I live in the Northeast part of the states. Pork is not that popular where I live. Perhaps down south, pork is more popular. Aside from bacon and ham ,the only pork that I normally eat are pan fried pork strips at a Chinese restaurant I go. BTW, I wouldn't mind trying some fire pork with some white rice next time I am in town.

That is pork belly.

This may sound like a silly question but how are pork bellies served in the west.

In the U.S., pork belly is mostly used to make bacon or salt pork, which today is used as a seasoning or flavor accent in soups and stews, especially clam chowder.

But there are many ways in which pork belly can be prepared: 17 Best Pork Belly Recipes. My dad and grandfather were great fans of pork cracklin'.

pork-belly.jpg

Evil

I love pork belly, even if it is ALL fat !!! Fat is flavor !! Although sometime's I have a guilty feeling, as I am stuffing it down , knowing the cholesterol is going straight to the heart and the waist line. The last time I had this feeling was when I made a BLT sandwich, I put 8 slice's of bacon on it, and felt bad, EVERY BITE !! HA! HA! HA!

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what they see as their target customer base. In the U.S. and western focused Korean restaurants in Korea, they start with beef, bulgogi and galbi, along with chicken, fish and various dishes with noodles along with many vegetables and industrial strength kimchee. Not so much pork.