Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

B 52's over the UK

Hi,

Not really "Airline discussion" (unless you are bomber crew) but I've recently been watching and hearing (mostly hearing) B52 bombers coming in over the UK and dropping into RAF Fairford as I've been visiting the area the past few days.

They're incredible machines, and if you are in the area or lucky enough to be on the flightpath, keep and eye or ear out. Here's a schedule:

https://ffdmovements.blogspot.co.uk/

sorry if in the wrong area, Mods feel free to move and my apologies.

Edited by Butch

Just browsing the 'Hoy thread' and it seems to me that Idefix obviously has exceptionally high, quality control standards.... and must be a dammed fine looking fellow. Congratulations to him on his matinee idol good looks!

The thought crossed my mind that he must apply the B52's famous nickname of.... 'BUFF'.......(Big Ugly Fat Fucker).... to most of the girls in Pattaya.

I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing?

I suppose it could also be applied to the role that girls like 'Hoy' fore-fill.

I'd love to see a B52 close up.........Hoy too.

Edited by atlas2

Growing up, we lived under a B-52 training route. Having one of them drive through at 500 feet was noisy and impressive. A few years later, I had the opportunity to crawl through one on the ground--gee whiz opportunity for the young guys. The crew space was quite cramped.

Edited by nkped

They are flying relics 1950 designed and the aircraft flying today are approaching 50 years. Notice the black soot trails when in flight.

The last one rolled off the line in 1961. I would be reasonably certain they have been re-engined multiple times.

They are flying relics 1950 designed and the aircraft flying today are approaching 50 years. Notice the black soot trails when in flight.

Still, they may be the only way to get nuclear payload to their intended targets.

Growing up, we lived under a B-52 training route. Having one of them drive through at 500 feet was noisy and impressive. A few years later, I had the opportunity to crawl through one on the ground--gee whiz opportunity for the young guys. The crew space was quite cramped.

I did that once. Long story, but I was in the Army and on a trip with one of my buddies. He had a friend in the Air Force who worked on B-52s, so one night he insisted we go inspect a B-52. We were in the cockpit when the MPs showed up and wanted to see everyone's IDs. We didn't get in trouble, but we had to leave.

• Upvote 1

The last one rolled off the line in 1961. I would be reasonably certain they have been re-engined multiple times.

Then approaching 60 years. The original engine configuration was eight turbo jets in groups of two.

I have seen one in the past week or so, they still chuck out a fair bit of soot (in comparison to an airliner) and the noise they make is unmistakeable, as far as I've googled they stil have 8 engines - I might be wrong though.

now this is dirty:

36e4314837fa2aafa4253a5a1ed4067f.jpg

Considering what the payload of a B-52 is, I don't think many people would be too concerned about how unhealthy the engines are!! :lol:

......The B-52 completed sixty years of continuous service with its original operator in 2015. After being upgraded between 2013 and 2015, it is expected to serve into the 2040s.[Note 2] The B-52s are expected to reach the end of their service lives by 2045, and be replaced by B-21 Raiders.[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_B-52_Stratofortress

The engines and avionics have been updated more than once.

I had always thought of it as a large, very large aircraft, until I saw one parked at a civilian airport not far from a Boeing 747-400,

Edited by Samsonite

" Russia has rolled out the latest upgrade of the world’s largest supersonic strategic bomber, the Tupolev Tu-160M2 “White Swan” NATO codename “Blackjack. "

Pretty glad the USA still has these B-52's