Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Best Deal England to Bangkok

Try www.opodo.co.uk   i just done a quick search on one of the dates you gave the 22nd august from manchester coming back 7th sept for £556 inc tax  probably get better on other dates good luck.

travel bag have a lot of offers that sound good in principal. royal jordanian, for £330+tax, qatar £335+tax, turkish £362+tax, eva £407+tax. offers available for your dates, only you will be very lucky for availability. i am booking for november and the only availability for my exact dates, guess who? qantas-ba.

I am in Scotland, and will be going to LOS late October.

I am flying Glasgow-Amsterdam-Bangkok with KLM.

After a lot of internet site searching, found that KLM fares were competitive and more importantly, AVAILABLE, unlike many of the deals that popped up.

I booked at a Going Places travel agency as I get a small discount with them through a work-related scheme, but the fare was exactly the same as available on OPODO.

I also booked my internal THAI flights at the same place, and the fare on the ticket is exactly that shown on the Thai Airways website, in Thai Baht along with the exchange rate prevailing at the time of issue.

I,am also searching the web, for that elusive deal,and just like you said,KLM-via Amsterdam, keeps poping up for GLA departures, for SEPT, OCT, AND STILL AVAILABLE. JEM

• 1 month later...

I'm flying to BKK in January out of Amsterdam.  KLM was by far NOT the best deal for me.  KLM came in at €800 return, and the cheapest deal I could find was China Airlines for €650 (two nights in BKK hotel thrown in for free).

€650 = 405 British Pounds.  Add onto that a cheap "easy-jet" return flight Amsterdam-Glasgow (approx 33 uk pounds return).

Wouldn't that be cheaper than what KLM are asking for Gla->BKK ???

oh btw, hello to everyone on the forum. ;D.. been reading here for a few days but this is my first post.  Great forum, very informative!

Being in the aviation industry, I much prefer sticking with the major European airlines, and although it means paying a bit more, at least you get the service.

I am flying KLM all the way, so will not have the potential problem of EasyJet being late/cancelling flights etc and missing a connection in AMS.

Please, KLM, don't let me down !

The main problem with searching the net for for flights, in particular the regional airports, is that the airline schedules are spread over various computer reservations systems (CRS) which are subscriber based i.e. the airlines have to pay to have their flight information included on the system.  Not all airlines subscribe to all of the main CRS (Sabre, Amadeus, Galileo and Worldspan) so it is hit and miss which flights will show up depending on which CRS the website is using as the basis for its search facility.  If you have a good independent agent (not one of the high street chains) they will be able to search across all of the CRS.  

It is obviously to your advantage if you have a good idea of which schedules and connections are available before you speak to your agent so that they can then concentrate on finding the lowest prices for your preferred route/carrier(s).  The best way that I have found to do this is to use the OAG search facility - it won't give you prices but it will show you the routings, carriers and availabilty within classes across all of the CRS rather than just one.  The link to the site is:

http://www.oag.com/web/default.asp?SID=sjz...puiLN111YFFSMFJ

For example, entering a flight query from Glasgow to Bangkok on 16 Nov throws up over 30 options connecting to all the major airlines (SAS, BA, Qantas, KLM, CI, Thai, Eva, Garuda, Lufthansa etc).  You can then check each option individually for availability within classes.  Armed with this info you can then hit your travel agent with your preferred itinerary and let them source the best fares available.

The only drawback the system has is that you have to check outward and return journeys seperately otherwise the possible combinations would run into four figures.  Although it is slightly inconvenient it is giving you up-to-date accurate information of all of your options rather than the limited information provided by the one CRS search facilities used by most online agents.

Hope this is of some use.

Regards,

Tom

The problem with flying via Amsterdam is the way in which many travel agents will persuade you that its possible to transfer through the airport in short time (forgive the pun).

A number of things can really screw up your day and miss your connection (or your bags not making it).

The most common is the weather in Amsterdam. During the morning and afternoon peak, or wave, as KLM call it, either low visibility, or a surface wind of westerly more than 15 knots will shut down runway 19R which is the preferred landing runway. One less runway means holding for inbound aircraft. Because the long haul boys are already on their way in, they get priority and  ATC will delay the departure of flights leaving the UK for Amsterdam. Ive sat on the ground in the morning at Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh and others for up to 2 hours waiting for the weather to improve or the inbound peak to ease, before being given permission to push back.  Other problems can happen, such as technical delays, but these you can't help with any aircraft or airline.

The moral of the story is, leave yourself plenty of time in Amsterdam to make your connection - ideal 2 hours and better still 3.

Regards to all

Captain C

Well Pattayaman, they lost my bags once in Amsterdam, and I'm bloody crew!

I checked them in clearly marked for Amsterdam and three days later they found them in Hamburg!

Lost luggage said they would find them as quick as they could, but they had their hands full with another 1000 lost bags.

The BBC watchdog program said that Amsterdam was the worst airport in the world for losing luggage.

Pack a spare pair of undies in the hand luggage I say, together with the condoms.

C

There was a new baggage handling system installed at Schiphol last year and it is widely accepted that the baggage "black hole" at Schiphol is a thing of the past. The problems were, in any case, pretty much linked to the increase in traffic during the summer months.  This is reflected in Schiphol being voted the best European airport (4th in the world rankings) in the recent Skytrax survey.  On the plus side your connections are all contained within the one terminal and, unlike Thiefrow, most of the staff speak excellent English!  ;)

Tom

Better still, get yourself an MBNA  CC and pay for your flight with it.

They supply free travel inconvenience insurance that pays you £250, for the emergency purchase of essential clothing if your luggage is delayed by 12 hours or more and up to a  further £250 if the delay carries on for over 48 hours.

You just use the CC to purchase the stuff you need and then send the covering letter from the airline confirming the delay and they void the spend from your statement. Good perk.

If you have the Gold or Platinum card you have the added benefit of Lost Luggage Insurance of up to £1500  if the luggage proves permanently lost.

Actually,Tom,most flights do show.Occasionly it's necessary to make a 2nd short entry,such as S*OA,to get the other airlines availability.I work for Delta which uses Worldspan.

John

Actually,Tom,most flights do show.Occasionly it's necessary to make a 2nd short entry,such as S*OA,to get the other airlines availability.I work for Delta which uses Worldspan.

John

LTGTR,

Sorry, I thought I made the point:

"If you have a good independent agent (not one of the high street chains) they will be able to search across all of the CRS."  

The point I was making was that, for example, Travelbag's online flight search engine is powered by Sabre and therefore only shows those airlines on the Sabre CRS.  Unfortunately, most Boardies, including me, don't work for airlines or travel agents and don't have access to a system to carry out the function you suggested.  

That's how it works here in the UK.

When you are flying out Eastabout via Euroland are you intending to return Westabout or continuing RTW?  If you are continuing eastwards EVA does an excellent 3/4 RTW ticket from UK - you have to buy the transatlantic leg to complete the circle. (London/Bangkok/Taipei/Seattle/New York for £635 economy, £835 Evergreen).  PM me if you need details of the UK agent.

Regards,

Tom