Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

first time in pattya celebrating my 60th

Hi ive booked a two week say at the i rovers at lk metro from 2 July till 15th to celabrate my 60th this is my first visit to pattya so would appreciate any advice or what too see ect.as looking at you tube it dose seam a little daunting ...lol also if any one is traveling the same dates ect would love to meet up for some company ...you dont have to buy me a birthday drink lol ..also is there any good english bars ect thanks in advance Ian

Well, there will be no shortage of activities on Soi LK Metro. You could spend your entire vacation right there. Otherwise, you should visit the beach and spend a night or two on Walking Street.

Hi ive booked a two week say at the i rovers at lk metro from 2 July till 15th to celabrate my 60th this is my first visit to pattya so would appreciate any advice or what too see ect.as looking at you tube it dose seam a little daunting ...lol also if any one is traveling the same dates ect would love to meet up for some company ...you dont have to buy me a birthday drink lol ..also is there any good english bars ect thanks in advance Ian

It all depends on what you expect to find here but i rovers is a okay bar a sports bar where can watch most sports also they do a lovely English breakfast there is so much to do here i can't begin to start hope you enjoy your birhday Paul

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Hi ive booked a two week say at the i rovers at lk metro from 2 July till 15th ................also if any one is traveling the same dates ect would love to meet up for some company ...

I hope to be around from 11 July. I'd be happy to meet for a beer at that time if you still wish.

However, 9 days into your stay, I'm sure you'll have discovered a lot of new friends. :D

I stayed at I-Rovers last November , price was cheap but found the room I was staying in to be basic.... I've stayed in better for not much more..... The plus side to it being it is close to the action.....

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum.

Plenty of English bars around LK Metro and soi bukhao. for a first timer I'd reccommend searching out "Kev in Thailands" early videos on youtube which are useful for orientation and work as a general "FAQ" for new guys.

As an intro I always usually raise the following points:

Before arriving in Pattaya:

Get a map , familiarise yourself with the location you are staying in and the layout of the town, try to orientate yourself by watching youtube vids of walks down Sois 7 and 8, buakhao and LK Metro, you'll soon realise that they are fairly close to each other.

Transport is everywhere in Pattaya, it might be a 10 baht bus ride or a 50/60/70 baht Motorcycle taxi ride but you can literally get anywhere fairly quickly.

Don't change ANY money in the UK, once you land and get through immigration, change about £100 at the airport cash desks (located near the baggage carousel) to cover Taxi costs and just to give yourself a small float until you get into Pattaya where the rates are better. Cash not TC's by the way.

Pre book your Taxi, use either Nams (highly recommended) or PT Taxis Pattaya. They wil be at the airport with a card with your name on it.

Bring an unlocked phone, get a tourist SIM at the airport (1000 baht) insert and don't worry about topping up, the girls will always do it for you if you give them the money.

Once in Pattaya:

Grab a couple of cards when leaving your hotel and write your room number on the back of them, because when you are pissed on the first night, you can then hand it to the Motorcycle Taxi guy along with a 100 baht to get you there safely (to the hotel, not your bedroom) as you'll probably end up lost somewhere on Waling Street. Personally I wouldn't recommend irovers, especially if you're a light sleeper. There's much better within that budget juust as close to the action, but it is your choice.

Change money at the TT currency exchange booths. They offer the best rate but you might need to take your passport when doing so, once done, go back to your room and put your passport back in the safe, don't be tempted into a bar for a beer with your passport because losing it is a right royal fucking pain in the arse.

If heading out alone, the girls don't bite but they can spot a first timer a mile away. be careful about getting rinsed for drinks, and if you don't like the look of the girl, tell her to politely leave, it is that simple. your money, your holiday, your choice. billabong opposite the irovers is a great place to get orientated and maybe meet up with someone who knows the ropes. If you are feeling brave then head into a GoGo bar alone, but again be very careful of being rinsed for drinks. Maybe buy a maximum of 2 lady drinks if the girl sits with you for any decent amount of time. Ask here on the forum for prices for Longtime and shortime, plus maybe get an idea of the abbreviations used here for general chat (just ask if you can't find it) eg: LD= Lady drink, ST= Short time , LKM = LK Metro etc etc.

Any questions just ask.

lastly, whatever you do, don't fall in love.

Edited by Butch
  • Upvote 4

Good advice from Butch but surprised he states the cost of a tourist SIM is 1000 baht. I live here so it's a while since I bought a SIM but remember it as being nearer 100 baht plus some airtime. Also as it's the OP's first trip to Pattaya I assume he doesn't know anyone in Patts he needs to call, so he could wait to purchase a SIM in Patts, (at a 7-11 or Tukcom for example).

• Upvote 2

Again good advice from Butch.

One thing that is easily overlooked not just by newbies but also by regular visitors is that however appealing and attentive a girl may appear to be she is still a prostitute. It's her job to separate you from your money be it through tipping, buying her drinks or providing a sexual service and like prostitutes everywhere they want to do so with as little effort and in as little time as possible. It has not always been like that but it is now unless by a stroke of good luck you get a good 'un. Nowadays you've always got to be on your guard.

Only take out as much money as you think you may need for an evening. I'd suggest 5000 baht the first night and see how it goes thereafter. Don't get drunk, you can do that back in England. Be very careful about buying girls drinks in gogo bars because that's when you get ripped off. The bigger your bill the more inclined they are to stick an extra two or three hundred baht on it thinking you won't notice. It happened to me on three separate occasions on one holiday but I noticed it and got the bill corrected each time but it still leaves a nasty taste in your mouth.

Unless you can't resist a girl try not to agree to a fee of over 2000 baht plus whatever the barfine is. And tell her what you expect and how long you expect her to stay. Like the rest of us I've only learned this the hard way after years of visiting Pattaya.

Personally I would not bother with a phone unless you need to ring home. If you give a girl your number they can ring you up in the small hours if they have not got a punter and that can be a nuisance especially if you have already fired your gun or hired another lass for the night.

LKM is an ideal location for a first time trip to Pattaya.

• Upvote 2

Read, read, read not just this forum. There are a few others as well. It's all good info.

My first trip was during my 56th year, so not much different to you.

You'll have a ball.

The area is perfect for a first timer. I always stay in the area.

Literally tons of great food, plenty of massage places, laundry's all over the place, wot's not to like.

Get yourself on google maps and take a wander around before you leave to get a feel for where you are going.

If you have a short time or long time with one of the ladies, you don't need to pay them up front........you can wait until after the deed is done......

Call in and have a drink at Cherry bar on Soi Diana.... there's a good chance you'll meet some forum members drinking there..... Adam is a great host, and I would recommend going on a Ban Chang bar crawl with him......

• Upvote 2

Thanks for all your advice will check out all the advice and will call in the Cherry Bar and say Hi ....once again thanks for the reply's and advice .Ian

If you do want to meet Adam at Cherry Bar (recommended), go after 23:00, he's nocturnal - some think he's possibly a vampire. :yikes: (sorry Adam, you know I love you really)

Cherry Bar;

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Cherry+Bar/@12.9304253,100.8803409,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3102960efad30823:0x6d66b489f8081949!8m2!3d12.9304201!4d100.882535?hl=en

Gotta love being a newbie and having the power of a smart phone to let you know your location....took me some 4 years and 8 trips before I could get from Walking Street to Soi Bukaho without getting on the Baht Bus headed to Jometin Beach.

Gotta love being a newbie and having the power of a smart phone to let you know your location....took me some 4 years and 8 trips before I could get from Walking Street to Soi Bukaho without getting on the Baht Bus headed to Jometin Beach.

Absolutely right! not wanting to TF but showing a MC Taxi guy on google maps where I want to go is soooo much easier than saying it (wrong) with my rubbish Thai.

Absolutely right! not wanting to TF but showing a MC Taxi guy on google maps where I want to go is soooo much easier than saying it (wrong) with my rubbish Thai.

I have found Thais useless at understanding maps.

Fortunately they all seem to know 'TOPS' which isn't there any more!

butch is right in most of what he says but i would definately steer away from a tourist sim ... just get a sim from the ais stand load it with 200 baht ... im sure someone in irovers can load you some internet on it very cheap ...

• 2 weeks later...

Don't sweat it too much as if you have reached the ripe old age of 60, then you will have enough sense to look before you leap. Pattaya is that sort of town where everything your mother said about bad places is both true , because its an adult Disneyland, and untrue because it won't kill you or send you to hell, but you will enjoy yourself . I will be there in your break as I am going from may to the end of July but again don't sweat it there are so many blokes our age around you will not lack a drinking buddy. I would say watch how much you drink as its easy there in the heat to drink beer like soda and to be semipermanently pickled.

First rule Don't fall in love , with "a" girl, there are too many to waste yourself on only one.

Second rule , only for the straight guys, look closely that very beautiful girl may not be. There are very few tall Thai ladies,but many short Thai ladyboys. Ask if worried they dont judge .

When in town message me and we can have a drink or a meal as I don't drink, and I can always give a heads up of what's happening.

One more rule never change your cash or TCs before you get here and avoid if at all possible changing at the airport. All banks and money changers in Pattaya give better rates than anywhere else, and the difference can be quite large depending on how much cash you change. I am told they don't like some denominations of some cash but I need to find out more , maybe someone will enlighten us on this thread.

• Upvote 1

Tourist SIM? 1000 baht seems like way too much unless it also includes lots of minutes and airtime. Assuming you don't need a "tourist" SIM, I'd look at some of the regular plans and get a SIM for one of those in Pattaya. Anyplace that sells phones should be able to help.

I can only suggest that you keep the thread alive. I am happy meeting members but I am never 100 % sure about my time table. July is a way off. Ask the question again and I am sure that there will be a boardie or two to have a drink with.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tourist SIM? 1000 baht seems like way too much unless it also includes lots of minutes and airtime. Assuming you don't need a "tourist" SIM, I'd look at some of the regular plans and get a SIM for one of those in Pattaya. Anyplace that sells phones should be able to help.

The tourist SIM comes with data, minutes and texts etc, valid for 15 days (I think) and the data throttling is not applied until you hit your limit. I tend to eat a lot of data while in LOS doing LINE and Skype to the Philippines and UK, and sometimes WiFi is not always reliable enough. There are more cost effective ways of getting a SIM of course, but for the first time traveller, if he needs reliable internet and a quick SIM option then the various packages are available, http://www.ais.co.th/travellersim/ I didn't mention I normally add a few hundred baht on top for credit.

Edited by Butch