Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I went to immigration yesterday Chiang Rai for my 90 day report and to get a re entry, when the lady gave me back my passport she told me when I return to Thailand come back and check in with immigration office. my 90 days won't be up for 10 day later. I been in Thailand for 14 years now and was never asked to check in with immigration on my return. Is this something new now?

I went to immigration yesterday Chiang Rai for my 90 day report and to get a re entry, when the lady gave me back my passport she told me when I return to Thailand come back and check in with immigration office. my 90 days won't be up for 10 day later. I been in Thailand for 14 years now and was never asked to check in with immigration on my return. Is this something new now?

Very curious,your new 90 days shouldnt start until you re-enter.

No I should have 30 days on my re-enter, US doesn't need a visa for under 30 days

If you are doing a 90 day report,you must have a retirement extension?

If this is the case and you obtain a re-entry permit,then when you re-enter Thailand your 90 days until the next report,

commences on that date.

There seems to be some growing confusion on this, i have heard many discussions pertaining to the 24 hours tm 30 report and re-entering the country. This is my understanding of it. With a visa extension, tourist visa, or visa obtained with an address outside Thailand any re-entry must be reported with in 24 hours by where you check in or you personally.

With a one year visa obtained in Thailand residing in Thailand as long as you have not checked out your status is still valid provided you are still staying at the address on your visa application, therefore where you are staying or you personally do not need to check in.outside of your 90 day check in.

I believe however if you travel around Thailand and check into a hotel that reports your stay after checking out and returning home you will need to check in with in 24 hours to re-stablish your where abouts. A few mates of mine got caught out and had to pay a 1600 baht fine. How you check in when your wife owns your house i don't know. Any insight?

This is what i have been led to believe so far, other bm's please feel free to correct what is in accurate

There seems to be some growing confusion on this, i have heard many discussions pertaining to the 24 hours tm 30 report and re-entering the country. This is my understanding of it. With a visa extension, tourist visa, or visa obtained with an address outside Thailand any re-entry must be reported with in 24 hours by where you check in or you personally.

With a one year visa obtained in Thailand residing in Thailand as long as you have not checked out your status is still valid provided you are still staying at the address on your visa application, therefore where you are staying or you personally do not need to check in.outside of your 90 day check in.

I believe however if you travel around Thailand and check into a hotel that reports your stay after checking out and returning home you will need to check in with in 24 hours to re-stablish your where abouts. A few mates of mine got caught out and had to pay a 1600 baht fine. How you check in when your wife owns your house i don't know. Any insight?

This is what i have been led to believe so far, other bm's please feel free to correct what is in accurate

What 'visa' do you obtain in Thailand, or are you referring to an extension?

A guy who makes a living around 'visas' in my area suggests that even if you have been out of the country, go and do your 'previous' 90 day report anyhow. if you are back in Thailand when it is due. They can only send you away or process it, and thus avoid the 'confusion'. Personally I have never had an issue and usually reset the 90 day clock when I land back in Thailand. I don't do the TM30 either as 'haven't been asked'..... living at the same address many years.

Such is the confusion and variety around Thailand.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

I can't believe we have to register after a night in a hotel somewhere in Thailand!

That's some disincentive to visits to BKK or the odd weekend away.

Let us say, I was under the impression prior, that a single night away, didn't require a re submittal of a TM30.

Also I have had these odd nights in a Bangkok Hotel, and had no consequences, and they were not little places.

So living in Pattaya I don't think they aren't being too stringent. It's when they are pressured to send more money to Bangkok they will tighten up.

As to the OP, he is using Chiang Rai, I have friends up there who give me positive feedback as to their dealings with immigration.

Edited by jacko

I can't believe we have to register after a night in a hotel somewhere in Thailand!

You don't! B)

Hotels have an Internet access to the Immigration Portal to make the registration of all their guests (equivalent of TM.30) and for them it's nothing new, they do that for years already.

Many other places (and in fact more and more) do the same: condotels, guesthouses,... but not all! In such case you should ask them if they registered you. If no, they you should push them to do it, or do it yourself.

The "TM.30 problem" mainly happen when you rent from a private person (Thai or foreign changes nothing) or even when you stay as a guest in a friend or family house or condo. Many owner don't want to do it, or don't even know about it. Then do it yourself.

(You need copies of the house book and owner ID, and the owner may not want to give that to you. So take the owner phone number with you and the Immigration Officer will have a small talk with him/her :rolleyes:)

PS: As usual interpretation of rules differ in various regions. Pattaya seems to not bother long stay residents (like people on Retirement Extension) but Chiang Mai and Phuket seem to be extremely strict and many people got fines.

PS: And I confirm what as been said before: the 90-Days process is reset every times you enter Thailand, so no 90-Days report needed 10 days after your arrival in the country

Edited by Idefix

For everyone to get it straight I have a retirement visa, going to Cambodia needed a re-entry to Thailand. Getting back to Chiang Rai on April 25th but my 90 day check in is on May 6 but the lady said as soon as I get back to Chiang Rai come to the immigration office to check in.I asked and she told me the same thing, OK I'm smart enough don't start trouble at the immigration office just do what they say!

That's some disincentive to visits to BKK or the odd weekend away.

As a late after thought along these lines, when living here on an extension, one has to get 'permission' to leave and return, ie a Re-Entry permit. Not only that, on the form you use, TM 8, they want to know where you are going ,when, and when will you return. Seems intrusive....

Still must say today's visit to immigration not so bad, in at 10.05, out at 10.35 with a Re-Entry Permit and completed 90 day reporting. Busy in there, no where to sit or even stand while waiting, but things got done swiftly.

Edited by jacko

As a late after thought along these lines, when living here on an extension, one has to get 'permission' to leave and return, ie a Re-Entry permit. Not only that, on the form you use, TM 8, they want to know where you are going ,when and when will you return. Seems intrusive....

Still must say today's visit to immigration not so bad, in at 10.05, out at 10.35 with a Re-Entry Permit and completed 90 day reporting. Busy in there, no where to sit or even stand while waiting, but things got done swiftly.

'Luck was your co-pilot.'

The question of, 'When you're leaving and where you will be leaving for' I nowadays just make up a date a few days later than my application. Since I was once turned away...as it was considered by the immigration officer (with the perfectly coiffured hair) that there was time for me to come back the next day. The next day I returned and was turned away again.

I pointed out I'd been told the same thing yesterday and I'd returned as requested.........My testimony was soberly weighed and sustained........

Edited by atlas2

'Luck was your co-pilot.'

The question of, 'When you're leaving and where you will be leaving for' I nowadays just make up a date a few days later than my application. Since I was once turned away...as it was considered by the immigration officer (with the perfectly coiffured hair) that there was time for me to come back the next day. The next day I returned and was turned away again.

I pointed out I'd been told the same thing yesterday and I'd returned as requested.........My testimony was soberly weighed and sustained........

Yes I was expecting that comment. But of course one is expected to complete the forms truthfully, you even sign to certify the above statements are 'true and correct'....

I have not had the issue you did, did you arrive late in the morning or afternoon?

I think about 10'ish. ......I'm never late for anything...... but didn't think I needed to be in the queue at 8:15. The 2nd time I was in earlier but still would have been turned away had I not protested. It was a good few years back and things seem slicker these days.

I think about 10'ish. ......I'm never late for anything...... but didn't think I needed to be in the queue at 8:15. The 2nd time I was in earlier but still would have been turned away had I not protested. It was a good few years back and things seem slicker these days.

Yes, in the older days I always got a multiple soon after renewing the extension, and duly arrive soon after they opened.

It became apparent I was just making life hard for myself as there are plenty of people who live closer and can get up earlier than me! Now it is midweek, no recent holidays, and at about 10am. I also do my extension early to avoid the peak season time... I know you pick Christmas day.

When the Jomtiem place opened it was to a bit of a fanfare, but it soon became rather small for the needs! I am still amazed people even bother to try and turn into soi 5 from Beach Rd or Second Rd in trucks and cars only to get stuck on the street!

I've been going midweek, mid-afternoon to avoid the lines and crowds. Although in the last couple of years that is becoming a less effective strategy due to the increase in the number of people requiring immigration services. And even more so in the last six months with the enforcement of the TM30 reporting. Wonder how long it will be before immigration makes a move to larger quarters.