Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Apparently this was known to be coming for a while, but on Sunday, I encountered the new TM.6 arrival/departure card upon my return from a short trip to Singapore. It has some improvements. You no longer have the one letter per block spacing which made it impossible to actually enter a Thai address.

Even more important, the departure card is now a short stub which fits in the passport without folding. I have my reentry permit, latest arrival stamp and departure card on facing pages.

And for the paranoids, the reverse once again calls for some information.

new-tm6-oct-2017.jpg

Still calls entry permit a visa.

?? No :unsure: . They don't talk about Re-Entry Permit AFAIK

BTW here is a good scan of the TM.6 release 2017 : (as the image in the first post doesn't seen to show...)

DGyfkREUQAAR3ET.jpg

• Upvote 1

Perhaps it isn't specifically designed for those with extensions.

Actually it is called a RE-ENTRY Permit.

Not on the form.

It is on the one sitting on my desk waiting for me to get my ass over to immigration (TM8), and on the half dozen or so stamps in my passport.

Edited by jacko

Perhaps it isn't specifically designed for those with extensions.

Actually it is called a RE-ENTRY Permit.

Not on the form.

Gentlemen, for the majority of people who have to enter a number in that block on the TM.6, it will be a visa number. Edited by nkped

It is on the one sitting on my desk waiting for me to get my ass over to immigration (TM8), and on the half dozen or so stamps in my passport.

Yes I agree......It was for me too when I completed my TM8. My point is despite the redesigned TM6.........

......It still asks for 'visa number.'....but that is where they expect you to put in your 're-entry permit' number. A wrinkle that I think it's useful to know.

I was once informed this by an immigration officer at the passport desk........ I'd reasoned that the number of available boxes for inserting this information on the old form, being much more than 4 must correspond to my visa number + the 4 numbers of my re-entry permit.

Logical to me but wrong. I wai'd and grovelled my foolish falang mistake rather than point out the form actually asks for a visa number but expects only the re-entry permit number.

Gentlemen, for the majority of people who have to enter a number in that block on the TM.6, it will be a visa number.

But for those re-entering, (minority or otherwise), it won't.

Yes I agree......It was for me too when I completed my TM8. My point is despite the redesigned TM6.........

......It still asks for 'visa number.'....but that is where they expect you to put in your 're-entry permit' number. A wrinkle that I think it's useful to know.

I was once informed this by an immigration officer at the passport desk........ I'd reasoned that the number of available boxes for inserting this information on the old form, being much more than 4 must correspond to my visa number + the 4 numbers of my re-entry permit.

Logical to me but wrong. I wai'd and grovelled my foolish falang mistake rather than point out the form actually asks for a visa number but expects only the re-entry permit number.

I used to always put my visa number where asked for, until one trip back last year the officer kindly told me it's the re-entry permit number that should go there. On previous trips back the officer must have been correcting the number w/o telling me. Millions of travelers must have made the same mistake over the years. Shame they didn't take the opportunity with the redesigned form to make it clearer what is required.

• Upvote 1

Actually I similarly learned that I was required to do this by a school-marm like immigration lady officer on coming into Thailand many years ago. I felt suitably scolded, informed and never forgot since!

> Gentlemen, for the majority of people who have to enter a number in that block on the TM.6, it will be a visa number.

But for those re-entering, (minority or otherwise), it won't.

Unsure why you quibble on that. :huh:

For Thailand a Visa is an "Authorisation to Enter in the Country". For the huge majority of people, they need a Visa to enter Thailand, except if their country allow them to benefit of a Visa Exemption. This Visa/Exemption allow them to get an "Authorisation of Stay" when they enter.

The Re-Entry Permit is in fact a special Visa that allow entrance to people who already have an "Authorisation of Stay". We often see it named "Re-Entry Visa" in other countries, or even in Thailand ;)

'Idefix Post 12

Unsure why you quibble on that. :huh:

For Thailand a Visa is an "Authorisation to Enter in the Country". For the huge majority of people, they need a Visa to enter Thailand, except if their country allow them to benefit of a Visa Exemption. This Visa/Exemption allow them to get an "Authorisation of Stay" when they enter.

The Re-Entry Permit is in fact a special Visa that allow entrance to people who already have an "Authorisation of Stay". We often see it named "Re-Entry Visa" in other countries, or even in Thailand'

I don't agree that 'quibble' is a fair characterisation of my objection here. One definition of 'quibble' is: 'the use of ambiguous, prevaricating, or irrelevant language or arguments to evade a point at issue.' I agree my complaint might be termed as petty but it is a complaint about the ambiguity of the form.......and its' continued ambiguity despite the recent re-design.

Let me explain.........

If you ask for a banana.......and I hand you a banana........That's great!!

Then you ask me for a banana but this time you expect me to know that even though it's a banana you're asking for it's not a banana you want........This time when asking me for a banana you're expecting me to give you an orange.......And somehow it's my fault for not knowing this.

If the form asks for a visa number that's fine.

If it asks for a re-entry permit number.....that's tickety-boo to.

If it asks clearly for a visa number but castigates me for writing a visa number and not a re-entry permit number I object to that.

Call me childish........call me petty .........call me a grouchy old fart........But bear in mind there are other threads on here...(currently the very useful 'driving license thread') where it's clear ex-pats go to extreme lengths and are anxious to comply and get right first time the bureaucratic requests from Thai authorities.

The re-designed TM6 form is still open to different interpretations with respect to visa and re-entry permit numbers.

But hey!.....If Immigration officers who must have individually corrected thousands of TM6's haven't bothered to address this confusion when the re-design was signalled...........Why should I care?

Edited by atlas2
Call me childish........call me petty .........call me a grouchy old fart...

You misspelt 'licence' shame on you.

• Upvote 1

You misspelt 'licence' shame on you.

..I admit to feeling terrible shame...........I should know a British English noun from a British English verb by now........I blame my American English self correcting spell-check....Sometimes I correct it when it was right to correct me. I need more practice....or is that practise ? :huh:

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 1

I don't agree that 'quibble' is a fair characterisation of my objection here. //

First sorry for my English :(. I used "quibble" with this definition in mind: "to argue about, or say you disapprove of, something that is not important" - dictionary.cambridge.org: quibble

The re-designed TM6 form is still open to different interpretations with respect to visa and re-entry permit numbers. //

I don't really understand your confusion. You know that to be taken into account your Visa or Re-Entry Permit number must been the TM6. If you have a Re-Entry Permit, you have nowhere else where you could put its number, and you have no valid Visa number to put in anyway. So seems logical to put it there, not? :unsure:

'not' ...... Im not confused. Im saying the form is.
If you think it's logical and clear to ask for a visa number and expect you to write a permit number....... fine.

If you think the man-hours, (or Trudeau people-hours), wasted looking for somewhere else on the form where it says, 'enter permit number' and then after failing to find that digging out their visa number and adding their permit number to the end in order to 'logically comply' as being not wasted time........ fine.

If you think the time wasted by immigration officers deciphering the numbers and thus adding to the queuing time and length of queues at airports unimportant........ fine.

You think it's trivial..... not important enough for comment, or just quibbling........Fine. What are you making of the, 'How to make lasagna in pictures' thread?

I'll stick by my comment that the re-designed TM6 needs re-designing. It still sows confusion and wastes time....

Unimportant you say?.... Fine.

Atlas gave a gallic shrug.......oops!

Edited by atlas2

'not' ...... Im not confused. Im saying the form is.

If you think it's logical and clear to ask for a visa number and expect you to write a permit number....... fine.

If you think the man-hours, (or Trudeau people-hours), wasted looking for somewhere else on the form where it says, 'enter permit number' and then after failing to find that digging out their visa number and adding their permit number to the end in order to 'logically comply' as being not wasted time........ fine.

If you think the time wasted by immigration officers deciphering the numbers and thus adding to the queuing time and length of queues at airports unimportant........ fine.

You think it's trivial..... not important enough for comment, or just quibbling........Fine. What are you making of the, 'How to make lasagna in pictures' thread?

I'll stick by my comment that the re-designed TM6 needs re-designing. It still sows confusion and wastes time....

Unimportant you say?.... Fine.

Atlas gave a gallic shrug.......oops!

I'm with you on this one Atlas, and my solution is to simply leave that item blank, while looking bemused at the immigration officer who will find the correct number to put in there. Half the time I can't read their writing anyway, so it works out.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I'm with you on this one Atlas, and my solution is to simply leave that item blank, while looking bemused at the immigration officer who will find the correct number to put in there. Half the time I can't read their writing anyway, so it works out.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

You obviously have not met the immigration lady who educated me, then you might do as you were told! :D

• Upvote 1

My marriage visa doesn't have a number on it. As Atlas said i use the number on my re-entry permit. This was explained to me the way to do it by the immigration officer at "she-wanna-boom".

My marriage visa doesn't have a number on it. As Atlas said i use the number on my re-entry permit. This was explained to me the way to do it by the immigration officer at "she-wanna-boom".

There is no such Visa as a marriage visa.

There are Non-Imm O Visas that you can get based on marriage to a Thai, and 'extensions' to those. I guess you mean an Extension.

As said before, without the Re-Entry Permit that would be cancelled on leaving the country.

There is no such Visa as a marriage visa.

There are Non-Imm O Visas that you can get based on marriage to a Thai, and 'extensions' to those. I guess you mean an Extension.

As said before, without the Re-Entry Permit that would be cancelled on leaving the country.

I know, just easier to say and usually needs no explanation

• Upvote 1

I know, just easier to say and usually needs no explanation

Lot of long fuzzy useless discussions and suites of wrong questions/answers would be avoid if people were using the correct vocabulary. Mainly true on ThaiVisa where very often the question is not what his writer wants to ask!

My marriage visa doesn't have a number on it. //

Apart from the fact that it's not a Visa, how did you get one without a number ??

As far as I know, every Visa, Extension, Work-Permit, Re-Entry permit, etc. has a number !