Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

How to make a donation for the boards server fund

so many things are broken

Yes thats normal if your running the 3.4 version and upgrading... on one upgrade i had 1,300,000 errors on the database but it was easily fixed

If you have cloned the live forum onto a test server, does the test forum before upgrading work fine..?

Did you covert the database on the old software or on the new software while doing the upgrade..?

Yes and Yes.

In short, the reputation system is totally fucked, and so is the skin. Everything else seems ok so far, but I admit I have not dug too deep yet.

I work a shitton, so getting time on this is kinda tough - so it will take some time. But I will work thru the issues and fix them one at a time. Current plan then once all the fixes are in place is to try to do a differential database port from the current server to the test server, and if that works, ill clone that server on to new hardware, turn this forum's "maintenance mode" on, port it over, then move DNS and turn maintenance mode off on the other side. But that whole process is weeks away at least as I can only work a few hours a week on it :)

It is all the bells and whistles that complicate software and introduce security holes. Every time new features are added old holes seem to be reopened because "workarounds" are what was used to fix them. I've yet to find a way to hack a Model T using Bluetooth. Maybe we would be better off going to a simple system with few capabilities.

• Like 1

Yes and Yes.

In short, the reputation system is totally fucked, and so is the skin. Everything else seems ok so far, but I admit I have not dug too deep yet.

I work a shitton, so getting time on this is kinda tough - so it will take some time. But I will work thru the issues and fix them one at a time. Current plan then once all the fixes are in place is to try to do a differential database port from the current server to the test server, and if that works, ill clone that server on to new hardware, turn this forum's "maintenance mode" on, port it over, then move DNS and turn maintenance mode off on the other side. But that whole process is weeks away at least as I can only work a few hours a week on it :)

Take it as one task at a time...

1, upgrade the software.

Create a subdomain "TEST-INSTALL.pattayatalk.com"

Clone the forum and then you most remove all the plugins and hooks that are installed onto the forum to upgrade.

Run the convertor and install "ready for IPS 4" run the patch and for check list.

Then upgrade and test the new forum any issues submit a ticket to IPS and they will fix it and if your happy then direct the main domain name to the sub-domain.

2. Run it for a while live and then when your happy transfer it to the new server..

Edited by lanzalad

Take it as one task at a time...

1, upgrade the software.

Create a subdomain "TEST-INSTALL.pattayatalk.com"

Clone the forum and then you most remove all the plugins and hooks that are installed onto the forum to upgrade.

Run the convertor and install "ready for IPS 4" run the patch and for check list.

Then upgrade and test the new forum any issues submit a ticket to IPS and they will fix it and if your happy then direct the main domain name to the sub-domain.

2. Run it for a while live and then when your happy transfer it to the new server..

Ya... I'm actually pretty good at this stuff... seein' as I've been in I.T. for 25 years :)

Just read the bar crawl thread and it made me wonder if, perhaps, you could charge a small amount (say, 100 Baht) to attendees?

Alternatively, if we don't ask for two-for-one beers in the gogos, maybe the gogos managers would be willing to pay you a kick-back for bringing people to their places?

With regards to the security of registering for an account can there not be a manual verification ie submit a request then choose how to verify something like a recommendation from a current long standing member or photo id?

Upgrades can be some troublesome! Im trying to recall what caused the loss of so much of the early posts from winston and the likes back in the early 2000's cant recall if it was a server crash or an upgrade by PP at the time

Edited by thegrim

Just read the bar crawl thread and it made me wonder if, perhaps, you could charge a small amount (say, 100 Baht) to attendees?

Alternatively, if we don't ask for two-for-one beers in the gogos, maybe the gogos managers would be willing to pay you a kick-back for bringing people to their places?

Ya.... I don't want to do that. I know there are some of the guys that live here on a very strict budget. While 100b is not a lot of money for most people, It may be to others - and I do not want our events to be about money. Again, I would rather just continue fronting the costs myself if it came to that. We have had a great response to this thread so far tho, with enough to cover several months of costs, so its not critical by any means looking forward.

With regards to the security of registering for an account can there not be a manual verification ie submit a request then choose how to verify something like a recommendation from a current long standing member or photo id?

Upgrades can be some troublesome! Im trying to recall what caused the loss of so much of the early posts from winston and the likes back in the early 2000's cant recall if it was a server crash or an upgrade by PP at the time

Currently to register and actually see the members section users have to send a email to me, and in the email explain why they want access. These emails were going to Martin until just 3 days before his passing, but since that time I have activated about 20 new accounts, and I have rejected 3 other requests. One because he only wanted the account to sell stuff (I almost let him in, but instead I suggested he join the pattaya selling groups on facebook), and the other 2 because their use of broken English made me wonder if they were Thai nationals (e.g. police), and their email accounts were a bit weird.

There are other checks I do as well before letting someone in... and yes I would like to semi-automate that process, and will be looking at ways to do that. ID will not be one of them. Anyone can get a copy of someone's photo ID - you can even find a few on google - and the privacy issue associated with asking for and recording that data is not something I'm interested in. I want it to be easier, not harder, to become a member.

Now that said, I will be creating a new group for "Advanced" members at some point, and will be providing multiple pathways to join - such as being known by another known member, or coming on one of the bar crawls or monthly meetings. This advanced section will be totally invisible to people that are not in that group, and will contain anything even remotely "iffy" so that we can relax our grip on the standard members section a bit. To be honest I have no idea what threads there are currently that may be an issue - some trip reports surely, etc. Its going to be a huge job to find and move those... but I'll figure something out on that.

I don't expect any of these changes to come fast, but they will come.

• Upvote 3

Hi Frosty

If you wish to define "iffy" to me via PM, I'm happy to go through any given section between any given dates. Maybe if the workload is shared between a few BM's who could each take, say, 6 Mo / 1 year of TR's and then go through and check, then decide if the TR qualifies for moving. might release some workload from you in that respect.

Is there a way to donate by credit card, or by bitcoin?

Credit card is easy, following the link above - it uses PayPal which accepts Credit card.

Bitcoin is a bit tougher, but can be arranged if necessarily.

• 2 months later...

Maybe we need to bump this thread more often. how's the fund doing FF?.

Did great for a few days as I expected, but nothing since :)

Its all good tho. It is taking me way too long to get technical shit done on the site. Now I know how MM felt 555.

• 2 months later...

If it wasn't for PattayaTalk I'd still be going to BKK. I've made a $50USD.

• Upvote 4
  • 5 months later...

It's been a year already since we lost MM, and the barcrawl last night reminded me to put a little cash in the pot. And give this thread a bump.

• Thanks 1