Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Red wine - Do you drink it when you're out?

One thing I remember about MM was his fondness for Wine. I intended and indeed promised to bring him a bottle of South African white this upcoming trip for him to enjoy.

What always struck me was that Martin was one of only two people I've known to drink wine when out and about in Pattaya in the bars themselves, the other one being Andy from Electric blue. I know our now-left-the-forum member Bullfrog enjoyed a bottle or three but I never met him sadly.

I will enjoy a bottle of red at home (white gives me heartburn) but for some reason I can never bring myself to order it in a bar or even in a pub in the UK. Yes, I have been known to raid the Wine cooler of a close friend when I'm in town, but the crafty sod locks the good stuff away and fills it with plonk upon my arrival ;) ;)

So my drinking habits are perhaps slightly skewed, red wine at home (seldom as I work shifts but if I've got a day or two off then why not?) but Beers followed by Gin & tonic when I'm out in Manila or anywhere else.

Anyone else feel that drinking a glass of Red in a GoGo seems slightly out of place?.

Martin always drank white wine (Jacobs Creek Chardonnay) in my Bar but the red Shiraz from Silverlake is our most popular wine in the bar.

Got rid of the Mont Claire as soon as I bought the Bar as it’s awful.

I haven't had any alcohol in over a year and a half, although I'm not sure I've quit forever. When I was at home just sitting around, I'd usually have some wine rather than beer, and also with dinner. In the US bars and restaurants, I usually skipped it because they seem to overcharge, even for "house" wine. I assume in Thailand the situation is even worse, because wine isn't cheap there. I've seen California wine I could buy around here for $8 that somehow cost 1000 baht in Thailand. At least when you order a beer you know what you're getting and there's enough competition that you probably won't overpay too much.

I agree, the wine in Thailand scare's me, not really a wine drinker anymore. Question the authenticity and the price does seem to reflect Western price's, when I see it on a menu.

I am not much of a beer drinker at home. Mainly red wine. Primarily drink beer in LOS. Buying red wine here in Thailand is hit & miss in most restaurants. Pricey, sometimes old or improperly stored. Have had a few red wines at Pete's Beer Garden this trip that have been drinkable, decent pours.

Had some at the Golf Club the other evening. Very generous pour!

The Avenue Mall used to have a decent wine store, now closed. The Villa Market has has some promotion specials, screwtop, Aussie or S Africa in the 200-300 baht range. Not too bad.

TQ has some low quality red chilled.

Edited by BigusDicus

I am not much of a beer drinker at home. Mainly red wine. Primarily drink beer in LOS. Buying red wine here in Thailand is hit & miss in most restaurants. Pricey, sometimes old or improperly stored. Have had a few red wines at Pete's Beer Garden this trip that have been drinkable, decent pours.

Had some at the Golf Club the other evening. Very generous pour!

The Avenue Mall used to have a decent wine store, now closed. The Villa Market has has some promotion specials, screwtop, Aussie or S Africa in the 200-300 baht range. Not too bad.

TQ has some low quality red chilled.

Speaking of screw top, how many of your remember this lovely Rosa wine , that tasted like strawberry's upon the first taste, then the taste went to that of a paint thinner, growing up in the 70's ?? BUT, it always guaranteed gettin laid, the girl's loved it !! HA! HA! HA!

boonesfarm wine.jpg

We had Blue Nun....

I remember my parents drinking Blue Nun. It was very popular in the States for a while. Remember Boone's Farm also.

I remember my parents drinking Blue Nun. It was very popular in the States for a while. Remember Boone's Farm also.

We had Blue Nun....

attachicon.gifbluenun.jpg

Blue Nun and Black tower, both high quality wines from our European neighbours. I had you down as more of a "party 7" or "Hoffmeister" man Jacko ;)

I remember my brother running a bottle of Blue Nun through the sodastream at a party and trying to pass it off as Champagne.

I've had the free pour wines at Mantra and also the Hilton. If you can drink a fair amount then the Mantra has some good choices, and the one price for all you can quaff in 3 hours or however long it is some see as a challenge rather than an option.

Myself and another BM who remains nameless did stagger out of there one afternoon, ended up in TQ and from there everything is a blur.

Speaking of screw top, how many of your remember this lovely Rosa wine , that tasted like strawberry's upon the first taste, then the taste went to that of a paint thinner, growing up in the 70's ?? BUT, it always guaranteed gettin laid, the girl's loved it !! HA! HA! HA!

attachicon.gifboonesfarm wine.jpg

I well remember drinking Boone's Farm Apple wine in the 80s, and that tasted great, but I have never heard of the rose, was this an American thing only?.

I well remember drinking Boone's Farm Apple wine in the 80s, and that tasted great, but I have never heard of the rose, was this an American thing only?.

I believe it was the first of the line flavor we had, we did get apple and then some more flavor's later, but I drank so much of this shit, don't know what they're distribution was world wide, could of only been usa.

Martin always drank white wine (Jacobs Creek Chardonnay) in my Bar but the red Shiraz from Silverlake is our most popular wine in the bar.

Got rid of the Mont Claire as soon as I bought the Bar as it’s awful.

Phil, I had a couple glasses of your Shiraz at the crawl. Very nice. Definitely better than the Mont Claire around town. Thank you again for hosting the pre crawl party. You have a nice little place there. Some cute girls too!

• Upvote 1

Hi,

As I get older I find the volume of wine is easier on the system. A large glass of wine is as strong as a pint of strong beer in half the volume.

• 1 year later...

Best wine in a bar is now Sportsman on Soi 13...If you sit at the bar and chat to the girls it is possible to "encourage" them to put a drop extra in... A large glass for 150....

Boxed wine is bloody expensive nowadays... but a place I use does 3 litres for 920 baht ... 1 box with 2 x Cheers Xtra is 1002 baht...!!!

Generally speaking boxed wine can last longer once opened.   Bottled wines do best if consumed within a day or two.  Air in half full bottle causes oxidation, etc.  Very little air in boxed wine.

21 minutes ago, BigusDicus said:

Generally speaking boxed wine can last longer once opened.   Bottled wines do best if consumed within a day or two.  Air in half full bottle causes oxidation, etc.  Very little air in boxed wine.

I am a little unsure of this "day or 2" concept with bottles....Did you mean to say "hour or 2"..

One thing that should be celebrated is that my local 7/11 that serves me 24/7 even on Bhudda days now have Concha y toro Cassilero del Diablo at 699 a bottle.. Way out of my budget but it becomes so tempting after a night out sniffing girls' perfume and heading home for a wank!!!

1 hour ago, Bullfrog said:

I am a little unsure of this "day or 2" concept with bottles....Did you mean to say "hour or 2"..

One thing that should be celebrated is that my local 7/11 that serves me 24/7 even on Bhudda days now have Concha y toro Cassilero del Diablo at 699 a bottle.. Way out of my budget but it becomes so tempting after a night out sniffing girls' perfume and heading home for a wank!!!

When a bar opens a bottle of wine, pours a glass or two and puts the cork back in the bottle what is left begins to deteriorate.  With limited demand for wine at some bars the bottle can turn bad before they pour the rest.  The box has an inner plastic bag that does not usually leave much air in the bag when a glass is served from it.  So usually a "half" used box of wine will retain it freshness/drink-ability much long than a "half" used  bottle.

Edited by BigusDicus
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, BigusDicus said:

When a bar opens a bottle of wine, pours a glass or two and puts the cork back in the bottle what is left begins to deteriorate.  With limited demand for wine at some bars the bottle can turn bad before they pour the rest.  The box has an inner plastic bag that does not usually leave much air in the bag when a glass is served from it.  So usually a "half" used box of wine will retain it freshness/drink-ability much long than a "half" used  bottle.

Of course you are correct as the subject title is "when you are out" ...My Bad.... Does Mr Egg's place still do wine from the bottle? Most others is box..

• 5 months later...

Never, I'm boring. No wine at all when I'm out drinking, even though I drink it with a meal at home.

Gin and slimline for me. Don't care if its a girls drink. That's pretty much all I ever drink as mixing drinks is a minefield I don't want to enter (again).

On 8/28/2019 at 9:44 AM, BigusDicus said:

Where I live I can't tell if the box wine is of a quality I will enjoy. I think it would be the best option to be able to open the tap periodically but I don't know what to buy?

Typically I don't refrigerate red wine. Does boxed red wine require refrigeration?

2 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

Where I live I can't tell if the box wine is of a quality I will enjoy. I think it would be the best option to be able to open the tap periodically but I don't know what to buy?

Typically I don't refrigerate red wine. Does boxed red wine require refrigeration?

Quality is subjective of course.  Taste it.  If you like it - it is quality (enough?) 

Wine like many things in life there is good and gooder.  Often times "good" is good enough.  My wife and I occasionally enjoy a $20, 30, 40 plus bottle of wine.  On a weekend day when we might be drinking more seriously it is easy to go through 2 bottles or more - too expensive!  If you have friends over costs add up quickly.  There are some very good bottles of wine out there for $10 or under.  Costco has amazing deals!  Nine times out of ten we drink "good" bottles.

My personal experience with boxed wine is limited.  My understanding is you do not need to refrigerate an opened box of red.  Do not know how long it lasts.  I would guess that refrigerating would extend longevity. If you do not care for the chilled red let it sit in the glass for a while.  Never hurts to let it 'breath' (aerate) anyways.

A worthwhile investment for red wine drinkers is an aerator.  Can make a $10 bottle seem like a $12.

• Thanks 1

Strewth no,wine is overpriced here in Thailand, and I certainly would not feel confident about what they might serve me in a GGB!

I find more than a few glasses gives me a headache.

1 hour ago, jacko said:

Strewth no,wine is overpriced here in Thailand, and I certainly would not feel confident about what they might serve me in a GGB!

I find more than a few glasses gives me a headache.

The quality of wine available in Thailand has greatly improved in the last few years.  Mr. Egg at Le Pub was serving a palatable red at a decent price on my last trip.  A few places around town too.  

• 2 months later...