Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I am planning my upcoming trip to SEA. Plan on flying Korean Airlines, Prestige class. They fly the 380 out of LAX and the 777 out of SFO. I really hate flying out of LAX. Is there that big of difference once you are up in the air? I also heard that it can get warm on the upper level.

Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Flew on Emirates A380 SYD to BKK last May and really enjoyed the flight. I agree with the comment on the large open business class area upstairs but was lucky enough to take heed of Seat Guru and ende

Just to add to this. Songkran trips; BKK - Heathrow, Thai Air 777 Heathrow - Glasgow - BA A320-232 (I think), business class though (I had miles I could use) Glasgow - Dubai, Emirates 777 Dubai

The engine mounts have nothing to do cabin comfort.   All down to aerodynamics and efficiency.   Having the most powerful engine fitted to a commercial aircraft on the 777-300ER any further outboa

Posted Images

The A380 feels less claustrophobic and quieter....

As for getting warmer upstairs on an A380....... when I have flown upstairs I haven't noticed a temperature difference compared to downstairs...

The A380 feels less claustrophobic and quieter....

As for getting warmer upstairs on an A380....... when I have flown upstairs I haven't noticed a temperature difference compared to downstairs...

I think it is more to do with what the crew set it at!

You can't please everyone and the crew, being busy one hopes, probably want the place cooler.

Personally I much prefer the A380 to the 777, smoother, quieter, and certainly feeling more spacious. Especially when enjoying cocktails and snacks in the bar!

I sometimes (when I am not in a hurry) catch a Singapore A380 to Singapore, just to enjoy the quietness and relatively better comfort, then transfer to a 777 for the onward journey to Bangkok. I definitely feel the difference. Safety - what the hell? They are both as safe as any other modern plane and, besides, if it crashes we're all dead anyway....

Boeing 777 safer than A380 ?? Please explain

For example, Airbus uses a soft landing suspension that makes for a very smooth take off and landing. Boeing uses a hard landing suspension so that they can slam the tires against the pavement at landing to break through water on the surface of the runway.

Airbus mounts the engines further away from the fuselage to reduce noise in the cabin. Boeing mounts the engines closer to the fuselage to make the plane sturdier.

The engine mounts have nothing to do cabin comfort.

All down to aerodynamics and efficiency.

Having the most powerful engine fitted to a commercial aircraft on the 777-300ER any further outboard would make an engine-out experience very interesting !

• Upvote 1

When at low altitude or landing and taking off I would prefer to be on a Boeing. When at cruising altitude I would prefer to be on an Airbus.

To be fair to Airbus I miss the Thai Air A340 between LAX and BKK nonstop in PECON with 43" seat pitch. Had a 2 hr ground delay on an 18 hr flight and didn't even notice it.

LAX is no great joy to transit but I would probably pick the A380 out of curiosity. FWIW, the quietest plane I have flown on was the 787.

I'm not a fan of the large business class cabins on a lot of A380s. Korean have one but also have two smaller ones fore and aft where I think you'll get what feels like a more personalised service.

One thing to watch out for is the 777s are in a 2-3-2 formation and I'd hate to be in the middle of a 3.

Korean Air Airbus 380-800 has 407 with 94 prestige being 2,2,2 seating in the upper deck.

Korean Air 77 has 277 seats with 36 prestige being 2,2,2 between first and economy sections

Both via Incheon Korea

Since you are choosing between 2 airports I will guess you live in neither city and would have a comuuter flight first.

My choice would depend on total travel time but would also consider the cluster Fxxx of getting on and off. With 777 you get off after first but before any economy, with 380 and being in the upper section, how fast? Do they hold evonomy until all prestige are off or is it a free for all merge at the exit.

Fir me, I have vowed never to fly with 400+ others.

We flew on MH3 (Malaysian's A380 ) in its first week. I found it really cold - (although I was pretty ill anyway) and was told by the CC that as we were near the stairs to the upper deck, the cold air sinks down in that area. Not sure if it is true or not.

It was my first and up until now only time on an A380, it was quieter and smoother than the 777 with slightly more room and a fairly new cabin layout. I didn't feel any turbulence which I found is common on a 777 and really obvious on a 787.

One thing to watch out for is the 777s are in a 2-3-2 formation and I'd hate to be in the middle of a 3.

2-3-2 was the older business class formation for 777-200s. Economy had 2-5-2 but some of the asian carriers went with 3-3-3 (same number of seats). Some are now putting the squeeze on with 3-4-3. The 2-5-2 used 18" seats which you rarely see anywhere in economy lately.

Flew on Emirates A380 SYD to BKK last May and really enjoyed the flight. I agree with the comment on the large open business class area upstairs but was lucky enough to take heed of Seat Guru and ended up booking seat 23A, which is in the smaller aft business class section. Seat 23A also has a bulkhead in front of it so you have extra legroom and feel nicely cocooned. Its also only a short walk to the bar at the back of the smaller business class section. I'm flying this April on the BKK to SYD A380 Emirates flight and have again booked business class seat 23A - Great way to travell!

IMG_1220A.jpg

• Upvote 2

I have flown twice on the Thai A380 and have to say the toilet flushing system is very noisy in the rear economy section. I was halfway down the section on row 71 but still noisy, I am not sure if some of the noise comes from the upstairs loo.

Flew on Emirates A380 SYD to BKK last May and really enjoyed the flight. I agree with the comment on the large open business class area upstairs but was lucky enough to take heed of Seat Guru and ended up booking seat 23A, which is in the smaller aft business class section. Seat 23A also has a bulkhead in front of it so you have extra legroom and feel nicely cocooned. Its also only a short walk to the bar at the back of the smaller business class section. I'm flying this April on the BKK to SYD A380 Emirates flight and have again booked business class seat 23A - Great way to travell!

Hi,

Good on you. Looks good.

I have just had a look at Flightradar24 and TG are having problems with the 380 availability on the LHR route.

Saturday 3rd TG910 arrived at LHR just under 8 hours late, Sunday the 4th it was a 777, Monday 5th again 8 hours late and Tue 6th,Wed 7th and Thurs 8th booked for 777.

It was a good job I had the A380 on the 1st as we had 500 pax on board.

I have just had a look at Flightradar24 and TG are having problems with the 380 availability on the LHR route.

Saturday 3rd TG910 arrived at LHR just under 8 hours late, Sunday the 4th it was a 777, Monday 5th again 8 hours late and Tue 6th,Wed 7th and Thurs 8th booked for 777.

It was a good job I had the A380 on the 1st as we had 500 pax on board.

Presumably the aircraft was late arriving in BKK from another route earlier.

Just intrigued as to why this recurrent excessive delay is happening.

jacko, That's what I thought, but with flightradar24 it is easy to track a particular aircraft as well as a flight, so i had a delve.

On the 3rd it was HS-TUA which arrived BKK at 5-31 am (30 early) on TG 931 from Paris

On the 5th it was HS-TUB which arrived BKK at 5-50 am (15 late) on TG920 from Frankfurt.

As I said, on the 1st we had 500 pax so I guess there has been quite a lot of re-booking going on to get passengers back to LHR.

Going back 20 years it wasn't A380 v 777, but it was A340 v 747, my favourite aircraft of all time is the 747-400, yes,even the BR Combi ones. :)

I admit to liking the A350 but Melbourne have nicked that off the LHR route. :)