Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Qatar Airways ex Gatwick

• 2 weeks later...

Never flown Qatar. We have considered it in the past for our Manila trips as they seem to have a good price point, decent timings and half decent tackle, but I prefer to break the back of the trip in one hit (LHR-HKG-MNL).

I take it the flight will be into the hub at Doha then pick up a connection to BKK?.

I flew on Qatar on their "premier" flight QR002 to Doha in summer of 2016. Evening departure 9.30pm (think its 8.30pm when its GMT) and it was on a A330 with the most appalling leg room and instrusive underseat entertainment boxes I have ever seen.

Notwithstanding that we were parked on a remote stand and bussed to the terminal

2nd leg on A380 was fine same in reverse sectors

I flew on Qatar on their "premier" flight QR002 to Doha in summer of 2016. Evening departure 9.30pm (think its 8.30pm when its GMT) and it was on a A330 with the most appalling leg room and instrusive underseat entertainment boxes I have ever seen.

Notwithstanding that we were parked on a remote stand and bussed to the terminal

Ever flown on a Qatar 787 Nightmareliner??? Now they have the most appalling legroom..... the A330's have better legroom and wider seat.

That has happened to me frequently on arriving at Manchester on Qatar, and even once or twice on departure.

Not sure what their policy is on it but I am not impressed when it happens.

Edited by jacko

Ever flown on a Qatar 787 Nightmareliner??? Now they have the most appalling legroom..... the A330's have better legroom and wider seat.

Not on their 787 no but have on other carriers and they are not good either.

That has happened to me frequently on arriving at Manchester on Qatar, and even once or twice on departure.

ah ok I thought perhaps it was just one of those days but clearly not

Only once in many years of flying from Manchester, with various airlines, have I had a plane stop at a remote stand. That one time was with Qatar when the flight arrived early and there was still an aircraft on the gate they normally use.

Also one time at BKK boarded an Qatar A380 parked remotely....

I'm not sure that it is entirely up to the airline - when I worked in civil aviation (many years ago) gates and/or parking were allocated by air traffic control.

I'm not sure that it is entirely up to the airline - when I worked in civil aviation (many years ago) gates and/or parking were allocated by air traffic control.

Not a cost factor involved too? You would sort of expect gate parking to be at a premium.

Not a cost factor involved too? You would sort of expect gate parking to be at a premium.

Could well be so, but I would have thought that the buses and drivers would cost more than opening the gate - either way, the xost would only be a small proportion of the operating cost.

Could well be so, but I would have thought that the buses and drivers would cost more than opening the gate - either way, the xost would only be a small proportion of the operating cost.

Well what it costs and what is paid by airlines may not be related. Gate sure is more convenient for the passengers in Manchester, where it always seems to be raining! The old Qatar airport was always buses to and from the plane too. Perhaps pay by the hour... can't remember how fast they turned the plane around.

Well what it costs and what is paid by airlines may not be related. Gate sure is more convenient for the passengers in Manchester, where it always seems to be raining! The old Qatar airport was always buses to and from the plane too. Perhaps pay by the hour... can't remember how fast they turned the plane around.

I.m sure there are several factors involved, cost being only one. Others might be congestion in the arrivals hall and availability of gates