Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Upgrading Invision Power Board from version 3.4.9 to 4.2.8 - problems, errors, fixes and corrections. A trip report for our server!

Your making good ground.. Just a but of input for you ...

There's now two ways to do the database conversion one been applying the patch it the old package and the other is to upload the full new package via FTP and then go to /upgrade

You have all the tools in the new 4.8 version to do it while upgrading.

I hope it goes to plan and remember you do have the support of IPS and they are very helpful

xxxxxxx.png

Edited by lanzalad
  • Upvote 1

Whew! That is why I am in hardware...

Thank you for your hard work Frosty.

My first degree in 1991 (at age 18 - almost 19) was in Electronic Engineering Tech, and my 2nd a year later was in Automation Technology (Robotics its called now I think). I still love hardware, and miss the old school Radio Shack. That place was like walking in to a candy store for me. I still have and use breadboards from time to time to test circuits out, but have not yet found a place in Thailand to buy stuff to make my own boards. Technology has changed a whole lot too, so I likely wouldn't know how anymore lol. Still I used to love doing that stuff.

• Upvote 1

There's now two ways to do the database conversion one been applying the patch and the over upload the full package via FTP and then go to /upgrade

I hope it goes to plan and remember you do have the support of IPS and they are very helpful

attachicon.gifxxxxxxx.png

I have been in constant communication with them. They did offer to do it for me, but I felt (and still do) that my learning all of this is essential to the future well-being of the site as a whole, and so I opted to do it all myself. I may bring them in to do the live site upgrade when the time comes, or may not... will see how it goes. This is step one - thats like step 5. :)

• Upvote 1

There's now two ways to do the database conversion one been applying the patch it the old package and the other is to upload the full new package via FTP and then go to /upgrade

attachicon.gifxxxxxxx.png

Btw, I do not have the Conversions sub-section that you show there. Perhaps because I have already upgraded... the bottom most section on mine is "Support"

Btw, I do not have the Conversions sub-section that you show there. Perhaps because I have already upgraded... the bottom most section on mine is "Support"

This version is installed onto my mac for local testing and so then i can apply changes to the software and see how it works before making any changes to a live forum.

Yes you only see this if you run the upgrade and ask for the conversion at the start then it will install it.

I have been in constant communication with them. They did offer to do it for me, but I felt (and still do) that my learning all of this is essential to the future well-being of the site as a whole, and so I opted to do it all myself. I may bring them in to do the live site upgrade when the time comes, or may not... will see how it goes. This is step one - thats like step 5. :)

Yes they are very helpful and will step in if things are not right for you.

• Upvote 1

This version is installed onto my mac for local testing and so then i can apply changes to the software and see how it works before making any changes to a live forum.

Yes you only see this if you run the upgrade and ask for the conversion at the start then it will install it.

With any luck then, this will complete and it will work properly. I suspect the reputation and calendar systems will be intact now too, which leaves the only open issue being the Skin.

We have a fairly simple skin I think... but I say that with absolutely no experience in working with skins to back it up lol. My current plan rather than learn the ins and outs of skin design, I am likely going to go to freelancer.com and get someone to create a new skin for me, using the live site as a template. That way it gets done right.

• Upvote 1

With any luck then, this will complete and it will work properly. I suspect the reputation and calendar systems will be intact now too, which leaves the only open issue being the Skin.

We have a fairly simple skin I think... but I say that with absolutely no experience in working with skins to back it up lol. My current plan rather than learn the ins and outs of skin design, I am likely going to go to freelancer.com and get someone to create a new skin for me, using the live site as a template. That way it gets done right.

The default skin is very clean and clear to use but you will need to set up the streams and one as default so members will see the NEW CONTENT ...

Edited by lanzalad
  • Upvote 1

Whew! That is why I am in hardware...

Thank you for your hard work Frosty.

Yep, same with me...The company I work for tried to push me towards software at one point, but I liked working on hardware systems and fault finding....

@Frosty..... thanks for all the hard work your putting in....

I've still got my Commodore 64 and Amiga 500 stored away in my attic, could never, ever part with them!!!!

Last time I walked into a Radio Shack and asked for a transistor radio the sales person was like a dear in the headlights. Actually told me that they don't carry them. I knew the end was near.

• Upvote 1

What a great write up on the trials and tribulations of what goes on behind the curtain. Mr. Google sure has made investigating problems a lot quicker and easier, and good on you frostfire for giving back to the online community with searchable issues and how you overcame them.

OK, another update.

The "background processes" finished about 2 hours ago, making it a total of right around 20 hours to run. Again, we will not need to do that when we port the live site over, but I wanted it to be finished before I did my initial testing.

When I first visited the forum after the completion of the processes, it looked... ok. The skin was obviously gone, and I noticed another heretofore invisible (to me) link to agoda that I will need to find and kill (since nobody can ever collect that money lol), but when I tried to log in or visit a forum (browse), I got hit with a 404 error (page not found). Oops.

After consulting with Invision, we finally deduced that mod_rewrite was not working for some reason, even tho it was active in PHP... turns out the apache config file needed a small change to allow access to the .htaccess files in order for things to work properly. Now why couldn't the forum detect that little problem? Strange, but fixed. So, I now have a fully working test version of Pattayatalk upgraded to the latest Invision, sans skin. Its naked as a jaybird. But it works.

Now the fun part will begin... I need to learn how to skin the bugger to look and feel like the Pattayatalk we all know and love. (or hate. Whatever). This is the process that will likely take a bit of time, since I know fuck-all about skinning and will be learning from scratch with zero knowledge base to work from. But it should not be too tough - we don't have a very complex skin here I don't think. There are some UI changes that will have to happen tho once the upgrade is done, since there are new features that this old version does not have and we will want to take advantage of - but I will attempt to get as much as possible to appear like it does now.

For anyone interested, a screenshot of the forum as it is freshly upgraded is below.

Also, if I know you personally and/or you are a mod here, and if you want to take a look at the new forums, send me a PM and I will send you a link to it, where your existing user/pass will work to check it out - just don't get it confused with the real one and start posting shit, cause all of that will be deleted at some point :)

Capture.PNG

• Upvote 4

Has anyone else had a look on the test forum..... I've had a little nosey and it's looking good!!!!

You're doing a grand job Frosty!!!!

No need most other fora have done it already so we know what we are in for. Frosty sounds like he knows what he's doing so it should all go without a hitch.

No need most other fora have done it already so we know what we are in for.

Yes, no need for most, but as a mod it was quite handy to check out the tweeks to the mod tools....