Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Qantas Perth to London non stop

Qanats can't have been that confident... They had a standby aircraft rostered just in case

Bit bewildered by the hoohah over this flight seeing Qatar already have a longer sector in existance daily to New Zealand from Doha (not by much I agree)

Exactly...... Not exactly groundbreaking, it's only just a wee bit longer than the longest A380 flight from DXB to AKL and with a lot fewer passengers....

Exactly...... Not exactly groundbreaking, it's only just a wee bit longer than the longest A380 flight from DXB to AKL and with a lot fewer passengers....

I think it is groundbreaking for people with UK links in Western Australia, and UK people wishing to travel to WA. I know some of these... not sure if they will use it though. One friend booked a while ago and is on Emirates.

Edited by jacko

o

I think it is groundbreaking for people with UK links in Western Australia, and UK people wishing to travel to WA. I know some of these... not sure if they will use it though. One friend booked a while ago and is on Emirates.

What would be groundbreaking is London to Sydney/Brisbane direct flights..... I believe Qantas are actually thinking about doing it

What would be groundbreaking is London to Sydney/Brisbane direct flights..... I believe Qantas are actually thinking about doing it

I said it because I believe there is a very high percentage of those in the Perth area that have UK roots.

But there isn't a high population of local people, Perth itself having only 2mil, most of the WA total of 2.5 mil. Perth is quite an isolated city, the nearest other big city being Adelaide 2,000 km away.

I don't imagine many Aussies will connect through Perth, most seem to hate the place who don't live there! More rather get on with the trip and head NW. So I wonder if it will make Qantas money.

Manchester non-stop to Bangkok is my dream, but NOT BA!

Edited by jacko

I said it because I believe there is a very high percentage of those in the Perth area that have UK roots.

But there isn't a high population of local people, Perth itself having only 2mil, most of the WA total of 2.5 mil. Perth is quite an isolated city, the nearest other big city being Adelaide 2,000 km away.

I don't imagine many Aussies will connect through Perth, most seem to hate the place who don't live there! More rather get on with the trip and head NW. So I wonder if it will make Qantas money.

Manchester non-stop to Bangkok is my dream, but NOT BA!

Manchester is the top unserved route between Europe and Bangkok..... the demand is there for it

http://www.anna.aero/2017/01/24/europe-thailand-trends/

Manchester – Bangkok #1 unserved route

An estimated 135,000 passengers travelled between Manchester and Suvarnabhumi airports in 2016, making it the #1 unserved route between Europe and Thailand. This means that the unserved airport pairing welcomed 184 PPDEWs (Passengers Per Day Each Way) last year. When referring to OAG Traffic Analyser data, just under 54% of traffic on the city pair originated from Manchester. The most popular connection points for passengers in 2016 included Dubai (29% of traffic), Doha (27%) and Abu Dhabi (22%). The leading connection point in Europe from Manchester was Amsterdam, with 4.9% of passengers choosing to connect via the Netherlands hub. Looking back at traffic data for 2012, just over 100,000 people travelled between Manchester and Bangkok, meaning demand on the city pair has grown by nearly 31% during the past four years.

TOP-12-Unserved-routes-1.png

Source: OAG Traffic Analyser data 2016.

Along with Manchester, a further three links from the UK make it into the top 12, with the one other to Bangkok being from Birmingham (eighth largest unserved market). The connection between Birmingham and Bangkok averaged 59 PPDEWs last year. Like Manchester, the top two connecting points for Birmingham traffic in 2016 were Dubai (53%) and Doha (23%). Demand between Birmingham and Bangkok has risen at a much faster rate than the unserved Manchester link, with data highlighting that the estimated passenger flow between Birmingham and the Thai capital has risen by 134% during the past four years.

• Upvote 1

Qantas have approached Airbus and Boeing and asked them to build a jet that will do this hop in one leg by 2022

Qantas have approached Airbus and Boeing and asked them to build a jet that will do this hop in one leg by 2022

Well they would have to buy a lot of them to justify the development!

Yep, then Perth will be back to having one international QF flight a day....B737 to Changi.

Well they would have to buy a lot of them to justify the development!

Agreed absolutely that was my first thought. It was on Business Traveller couple months ago will see if I can dig out the article

I have mixed feelings about the 17+ hour flights. I've been on several of the BKK to LAX and BKK to JFK non-stop flights on Thai Air (before they were discontinued), and while you might arrive a little quicker with a non-stop, I have no problem with the trips that require a short stopover along the way. It's nice to be able to get of the plane, sketch your legs, etc.

Anybody got a tracker image of the route this flight took?

Intrigued to know if it did a long stretch over the Indian Ocean.

Out of interest I watched a bit of this flight heading West yesterday, on one of the tracker programs.

The Dreamliner and flight actually started out from Melbourne, then landed in Perth, and was there for about 90 minutes before taking off for London.

So I wondered if most of the passengers originated in Melbourne, as Perth isn't really that big of a City.

When it took off it appeared to follow the path of an Etihad flight from Perth to Abu Dhabi, so not flying the shortest apparent route, or rather more direct using a slightly more Westward heading. Target heading was well off actual.... that of course may be something to do with jet streams or route limitations.

Interesting to have these seriously long hop flights available to people travelling so far... although I have always broken my BKK-UK journeys up about in the middle (East ). When I have taken a long hop (be it BA change in London or KLM change in Amsterdam) I have always felt I was at my patience limit and getting a bit edgy when we landed.

Edited by jacko

Out of interest I watched a bit of this flight heading West yesterday, on one of the tracker programs.

The Dreamliner and flight actually started out from Melbourne, then landed in Perth, and was there for about 90 minutes before taking off for London.

So I wondered if most of the passengers originated in Melbourne, as Perth isn't really that big of a City.

When it took off it appeared to follow the path of an Etihad flight from Perth to Abu Dhabi, so not flying the shortest apparent route, or rather more direct using a slightly more Westward heading. Target heading was well off actual.... that of course may be something to do with jet streams or route limitations.

Interesting to have these seriously long hop flights available to people travelling so far... although I have always broken my BKK-UK journeys up about in the middle (East ). When I have taken a long hop (be it BA change in London or KLM change in Amsterdam) I have always felt I was at my patience limit and getting a bit edgy when we landed.

The direct route (aka great circle) is not far off the route that this flight takes to and from London. There are minor variations over the Indian Ocean and some variations that occur due to political issues of various types. Over the Indian Ocean most flights will adjust their flight in the southwards direction to get the optimum jetstream to take them to the east coast ports of Australia. On any given day this might be crossing the coast near Port Hedland to skirting the WA coast south of Augusta (about 2000 or more kms difference between those two spots).

I've flown the B787 a number of times and have found benefits in its lower cabin altitude and higher cabin humidity. However, I wouldn't relish spending 17 hours in any economy cabin.

Edited by Bob Belzy
  • 2 weeks later...

As others have said, it is Sydney that needs the direct link, not some wasteland in the west.

I want to get back to Cairns and also visit friends in Melbourne and Sydney so the idea of flying into Perth is a joke.

I have mixed feelings about the 17+ hour flights. I've been on several of the BKK to LAX and BKK to JFK non-stop flights on Thai Air (before they were discontinued), and while you might arrive a little quicker with a non-stop, I have no problem with the trips that require a short stopover along the way. It's nice to be able to get of the plane, sketch your legs, etc.

Qantas were hooting about their 'generous' seat pitch of 32", which was just the same as Thai, but generous I suppose compared to the Jetstar cattle trucks.. What I hadn't realized until recently was that the seat width actually reduced on the -9 version of the B787 that QF use on the flight; down from 18" to 17.2".