Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Suvarnabhumi. Queue for a taxi or go upstairs for drop offs?

Heading into Bangkok after arriving at Suvarnabhumi.

Reading that a few ppl head upstairs and jump in a taxi who has just dropped off. Never done it myself.

Good way to beat the queue or am I likely to be loudly whistled at by someone in authority?

Edited by Chris100UK

You can still do this at Don Muang, I did last year coming back from Chiang Mai. It was raining and it saved me from having to wait in line at least a half hour.

Even when the queues are long the system they have for taxis is pretty efficient and you won't have to wait long. If you have your Thai missus with you it's possible to jump the queue too if you're in a hurry.

Thanks for the replies. I will stick to queuing.

Is it worth arranging a taxi to Pattaya in Bangkok or to just flag one down? In the past I've asked to hotel front desk and they get the bell boy or security to flag one down and get a price. Less likely to be offered a silly price than me standing on the kerb with suitcase sweating in the midday sun.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I went in by the train last time. Very efficient, but busy. Of course depends on your final destination as to whether or not its worth it.

I went in by the train last time. Very efficient, but busy. Of course depends on your final destination as to whether or not its worth it.

I just read the service is struggling during rush hour times due to quite a few trains being out of order awaiting parts.

Why would anyone be using the public taxis from Suvarnabhumbi to Pattaya when Nams, Mr T's, Meows and other providers will wait at gate 3 for a 1000 baht to Pattaya no tolls added either

I recall someone mentioning many years ago the airport taxis were charging 1500 to Pattaya

I cant imagine hopping over barriers with luggage to save 200 baht on probably what will still be a higher fare to start with

Why would anyone be using the public taxis from Suvarnabhumbi to Pattaya when Nams, Mr T's, Meows and other providers will wait at gate 3 for a 1000 baht to Pattaya no tolls added either

I recall someone mentioning many years ago the airport taxis were charging 1500 to Pattaya

I cant imagine hopping over barriers with luggage to save 200 baht on probably what will still be a higher fare to start with

Well the OP was actually asking about a taxi into Bangkok.

Shit, I missed that too. I guess that Nam's Taxi is a bit expensive for that trip too. Only 300 - 350 for a standard taxi....

Edited by yorta2

How do you save 200 baht doing this? Surely it is only the 50 baht airport charge one avoids, no matter your destination? Edited by thinkingallowed
  • 1 year later...

I just looked at Nam's site. The prices are a year old but given things haven't changed much, she quotes a sedan from Swampy to Pattaya as 1200 baht. What do the taxis charge?

Do either, both or neither charge for tolls?

I am leaning toward hiring Nam's service next trip.

11 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

I just looked at Nam's site. The prices are a year old but given things haven't changed much, she quotes a sedan from Swampy to Pattaya as 1200 baht. What do the taxis charge?

Do either, both or neither charge for tolls?

I am leaning toward hiring Nam's service next trip.

I used Nam's Taxi Service last month and can confirm the rates on her site, while a year old, are correct. Price includes tolls. Highly recommend Nam's service.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I used Nam's Taxi Service last month and can confirm the rates on her site, while a year old, are correct. Price includes tolls. Highly recommend Nam's service.

I think I will book Nam. I do want to understand taxis as a backup. I have always had pre arranged transportation. It used to be Secrets years ago...I have not been there in about eight years...and that service no longer exists.

Edited by midlifecrisis

I'm not looking thru......But it's probably been pointed out that you can't pop upstairs and get a taxi that's just dropped someone off.......Not anymore. One way revolving gates stop you and the airport security discourage you from climbing over them.

I'm not looking thru......But it's probably been pointed out that you can't pop upstairs and get a taxi that's just dropped someone off.......Not anymore. One way revolving gates stop you and the airport security discourage you from climbing over them.
Why would you want to do that? It is so easy to book one on line. Generally speaking the drivers have done their homework and know where your destination address is. Get a Bangkok driver from upstairs is a pig in a poke. Only did it once and got to see where he lived and where he gassed up before we got underway. I have use either Mr T or more recently PT Taxi. The price is 1100 baht and tip up to you. Your name will be on a sheet of paper at exit 3.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Flagging a taxi on the departure level was never a good idea but it hasn't worked at all for a long time now.  Pre-booking car service is the best option (cheapest and the driver usually knows Pattaya), but you can also grab a taxi from the public rank.

Evil

I used to flag a departure taxi but now another fan of Nam's . Returning from the the Phillipines last week i forgot to book a driver. Got in the taxi, towel over the meter. "Pattaya 1700 baht"

Told her in Thai, Stop Here!.  I hope Nam's can continue the excellent service provided.

24 minutes ago, sailingbill said:

I used to flag a departure taxi but now another fan of Nam's . Returning from the the Phillipines last week i forgot to book a driver. Got in the taxi, towel over the meter. "Pattaya 1700 baht"

Told her in Thai, Stop Here!.  I hope Nam's can continue the excellent service provided.

Good feedback. I was used to the idea that a taxi from the rank had a 50 baht surcharge on the meter but Pattaya was never going to be on the meter, so you are in the reals of bargaining/ haggling. Not what one needs after a long flight. I gave up on them once when I ended up in a long Q in the rank there and was overdressed and hot. I still use Mr Toom since then. Only drag is walking to the car park.

Edited by jacko

Downstairs.

get a ticket from the machine... it gives a price I believe of 1500 maybe it’s gone up  to Pattaya and a number on the ticket walk straight to the taxi under that number.

Nam is good if you’re booking ahead.

And Mr T

The normal rank guys are always delighted they haven’t queued for a drop off on Sukhumvit 100 baht tip

job done.

i usually drive myself to the airport if I’m going and drive back but for mates  I always recommend  Nam.

Used Nams taxi from central Bangkok to Pattaya last week. Paid a premium price due to the Songkran festivities which was noted on her website and all confirmation emails. I can recommend the service. Have booked a ride to the airport tomorrow and will continue to use her services. 

18 hours ago, atlas2 said:

Downstairs.

get a ticket from the machine... it gives a price I believe of 1500 maybe it’s gone up  to Pattaya and a number on the ticket walk straight to the taxi under that number.

Last time I used a rank taxi I got a ticket from a woman sat at a tin desk, she told me 50 baht plus whatever I arrange with driver if I recall correctly. Also as stated there was a wait as more customers than available taxis. I recall an excited cheer as my driver realized he got a Pattaya ride. But like you I drive myself there, Mrs brings the vehicle back and I now book a ride to return. Never had an issue other than the odd car sounding like it needed a few new springs.Damn sight better than Bali where  I couldn't find the hotel driver in the bedlam and crowds!

Thank heavens I don't bother with the touts of years ago who used to drive you just out of the airport and try to transfer you to his mate's car that was devoid of fuel! Twats.

Edited by jacko