Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

How on earth can you pick Ederson in your all time Premier team when he hasn't even completed one season yet

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi,

Well done for noticing that. I feel he has brought a new dynamic to the position.

• 2 years later...

The PL is back and no wacmedia. That is concerning. This American is not a competent replacement. I hope one of you UK partisans, or many, will pick up the slack.

It was great to see the games back on TV. However, I found the fake crowd noise annoying. I would rather hear the players chirping.

The players are out of condition. First half performances were largely absent but there were many exciting second half moments since Wednesday. De Bruyne had a great game for City. A winning goal was missed by officials and technology for Sheffield United. Adama Traore' comes in at 60+ and dominated for the first Wolves' goal. Paul Pogba owned Eric Dier for a penalty kick - successful.

There are still more than a few games left but any championship drama could be over tomorrow as Liverpool could clinch with eight to play. It will be interesting to see how they play after this long layoff.

Rosters are deeper and substitutes are up to five but there are windows of opportunity for making substitutions.

I appreciate why they have Black Lives Matter on the back of the jersey but this American still needs to see player names. That should be next week.

Anyway, wac - hope you are OK!

37 minutes ago, gs joe said:

Don’t Liverpool need two games .

As I heard it, a win and a loss by City. I checked the table.

A Liverpool win gives them 85 points and a City loss keeps them at 60. So City could only then have 84 points max as after Monday there are only eight games remaining.

What has it been, 30 years since Liverpool won the league?

A shame the season needed to be interrupted. A bigger shame the fans can't be on hand to enjoy it (at Everton) but that's life currently.

Congratulations to Liverpool. Chelsea beat Man City  at Stamford Bridge and Liverpool take the Premiership.

Liverpool are crowned Premier League champions 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2020/jun/25/liverpool-win-the-premier-league-title-live-reaction

Edited by jacko

Football is an integral part of life in many places, not so much in America. Maybe we have too many sports and too many teams. How many cities in the UK don't have a football team? You grow up with a team and stay loyal for life. I'm happy for the fans of Liverpool. 30 years is a long time between league titles. It's a shame that the city can't celebrate as shown above but that is the times. They have a great manager, great players and a promising future. 

7 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

Football is an integral part of life in many places, not so much in America.

More accurately 'not so much in the USA'.......I was amazed by what it meant to Brazilians!

1 hour ago, jacko said:

More accurately 'not so much in the USA'.......I was amazed by what it meant to Brazilians!

We love our sports and our teams but it isn't like what you all have. Maybe if we had just one sport...but you all have cups and the best of Europe have a championship and then leagie players are off to their national teams for World Cup play. There is no other love affair in sport like your form of football.

In South America, wasn't it so raucous at one point they built moats in the stadiums? That was a story many decades old, if true.

edit: I found this

https://imgur.com/gallery/JBjNv

Edited by midlifecrisis

Just to add to the celebrations, Liverpool are currently the holders of 4 major trophies.

The Premiership.

The Champions League.

UEFA Super Cup

FIFA Club World Cup.

I think that is right... pretty impressive.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

We love our sports and our teams but it isn't like what you all have. Maybe if we had just one sport...but you all have cups and the best of Europe have a championship and then leagie players are off to their national teams for World Cup play. There is no other love affair in sport like your form of football.

We also have many other sports, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Cricket, Horseracing, Boxing etc. The same applies to other European countries, although the sports will vary. It is just that football is far bigger than any of the others.

14 hours ago, tallguy said:

We also have many other sports, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Cricket, Horseracing, Boxing etc. The same applies to other European countries, although the sports will vary. It is just that football is far bigger than any of the others.

Yes. In many ways all of our sports are equally popular in the USA. In your football, there is also relegation which we don't have. A club can be in the top league one year, back down the next and then back up again. Being in a lower league does bot mean you won't play a team(s) from an upper league for a cup. We have nothing like that. We have lower leagues but it is players that move up or down (or overseas) and not teams (owned by top clubs for player development). Even our pro "soccer" league has no relegation.

Your football is far more about community than anything we have. My late boss was a New York Yankees fan but he was raised in a coastal community in Northern California. That is how it is here. My daughter grew up with me a 49ers fan, She loves the Green Bay Packers. Her husband is from North Carolina. He brought his Panther's loyalty out west. That's a microcosm of who we are as fans. I think that is why we are so player oriented. If you grew up watching Michael Jordan on national TV, you might be a Chicago Bulls fan for life.

edit: I forgot one critical aspect to American sports. Teams leave cities and move to another. The most recent is the Oakland Raiders of the NFL will this year be in Las Vegas. They had previously moved from Oakland to LA and back to Oakland. To my knowledge there is only one sports franchise tied to a community. The Green Bay Packers are owned by the city of Green Bay and not a private owner or ownership group. By contrast, Chelsea will always be in London and Liverpool will always have their club. We have no permanent ties to a community here. The Yankees will likely always be in New York but people also thought the same of the Giants and Dodgers in the 1950s.

Edited by midlifecrisis
  • Downvote 1

I'm not sure why a red for simply explaining how I see your better system in Europe. I was not promoting ours over yours. I wish the coward would come forth and explain why the red. It was cowardly.

I think your system is better. It is community based. Ours is profit based on the side of owners. I may be wrong but I would like to learn why I'm wrong in my comparison.

38 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

I'm not sure why a red for simply explaining how I see your better system in Europe. I was not promoting ours over yours. I wish the coward would come forth and explain why the red. It was cowardly.

I think your system is better. It is community based. Ours is profit based on the side of owners. I may be wrong but I would like to learn why I'm wrong in my comparison.

Because it is off topic and a distraction!

1 hour ago, midlifecrisis said:

It was related to the Premier league and a wonderment how you do things so I disagree. I take it you were the red.

Any BM can use the reputation system within the rules, and expect not to be called a coward, something you seem to like to do.

Your post had 23 references to USA, USA Cities, teams or players, and only 3 to the UK, where the Premiership is.

We need not discuss this.

Edited by jacko
typo
  • Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, jacko said:

Any BM can use the reputation system within the rules, and expect not to be called a coward, something you seem to like to do.

Your post had 23 references to USA, USA Cities, teams or players, and only 3 to the UK, where the Permiership is.

We need not discuss this.

jacko. A red is unnecessary for a moderator.

I am not fighting with you but you seem to have continuing issues with me. My use of language was only to draw things out and not therefore meant purely pejorative.

If I was not on topic, I apologize. I sincerely applaud the Premiership and how your leagues function. Go Reds!

I was out having a few socially distanced beers with my mate Tom and his dog the other day. Now Tom's a life long season ticket holding Burnley fan, and he is not happy at all. 5 first team players refusing to play because the board never renewed their contracts. And then this BLM stupidity. 

I'm not much of a footy fan although I do the sky sport super 6 cos we have a cash league on it at work. Anyway.... Being less than 10 miles from Burnley, as you can imagine there are quite a few Burnley fans around here. I'm quite surprised at the amount of people I know who say they'll never go to Turf Moor again.

It's seems a pretty even split between the contracts fuck up. And denouncing one of their own fans for the plane banner that merely pointed out the obvious. 

I think Burnleys run of always turning a profit may very well be about to end. 

42 minutes ago, la8rat said:

I was out having a few socially distanced beers with my mate Tom and his dog the other day. Now Tom's a life long season ticket holding Burnley fan, and he is not happy at all. 5 first team players refusing to play because the board never renewed their contracts. And then this BLM stupidity. 

I'm not much of a footy fan although I do the sky sport super 6 cos we have a cash league on it at work. Anyway.... Being less than 10 miles from Burnley, as you can imagine there are quite a few Burnley fans around here. I'm quite surprised at the amount of people I know who say they'll never go to Turf Moor again.

It's seems a pretty even split between the contracts fuck up. And denouncing one of their own fans for the plane banner that merely pointed out the obvious. 

I think Burnleys run of always turning a profit may very well be about to end. 

I am very naive about your football on a professional  level. The sport itself is worldwide of course.

I don't know the motivations of individual owners or who most of the owners are.

From what you are saying, if I read it right, is that you have many owners who are more concerned about profit than in winning cups. I am not saying that to be disruptive in any way. That describes my country's entire professional sports industry, which I enjoy.

My points earlier are that I enjoy the way your system works also. Nothing is perfect. I respect the loyalty to city and citizens to team over a lifetime.

When I started watching the EPL many years ago, I knew nothing and latched on to players. Then it was Renaldo, Lampard and Gerard and a few others. I still don't know about life in Burnley and Leicester and Aston Villa and many other places in the UK but because you all have passion between team and town, I am perpetually curious to understand more.