Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 247 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Buying a replacement phone in Thailand

Hi

Like many of us I'm very reliant upon my phone, and like many of us I'm pretty useless when it comes to taking care of it, and in my case transferring all the data etc to a new one.

On this trip I managed to bust my bottom of the range Huwaei, so a trip and urgent replacement was needed before Mrs Butch sent some hitmen from the Philippines to ask me why i wasn't answering. I decided a visit to TUK com was in order, so on the baht bus and it turned right at the end of Bukhao and dropped me pretty much on the doorstep. I did spend a good hour on the second floor of (first floor for yanks) looking around Tuk com for my old one to be repaired, one guy said he could do it so I left it with him, he told me to return in an hour. 1700 baht for a new LCD and glass. One hour later I returned and he told me it couldn't be fixed. Fucking cheers mate.

Anyway, I went back down the escalator and went to a store I had seen earlier while waiting, basically it's not a "stall" but an official looking set up, on the right hand side as you walk into Tuk com (up the 3 small steps, keep right and you'll see it, it is adjacent to 4 ATM machines). There are phones on display and they have several Nokias etc, all new, no second hand stuff here. They couldn't repair my phone but offered me a similar but slightly higher spec Nokia N3 for 3600 baht, relucantly I agreed, in the knowledge that when I return to the UK I'll get my old one replaced free from the insurance and I can punt it out on Ebay for about the same money.

So, basically it works like this (remember TiT):

I agree to buy the phone. Different sales girl comes over, speaks to the other sales girl and then goes somewhere and returns with a bag, a box, some plastic covers and a coffee. She then takes my laminated credit card copy of my passport, tells me to sit down, gives me the coffee and walks off. Sales girl #1 returns, opens the box, removes the new phone and proceeds to add plastic covers, goes to take her coffee from the table to realise it's now half empty because I thought it was for me. She throws me a dirty look. She asks for my old phone which I give her and swaps the SIM over, it's at this point I've realised I'd been given a dual SIM model nokia. Result. she then plays around with the settings in Thai on both phones, does the NFC thing and walks off.

Sales girl #2 returns with a bill. 4100 baht. "Hmmm" I think - then I realise there must be a charge to swap the info over and for the plastic covers I didn't want but turns out I most definitely need, but I'm not going to quibble, after all I did steal the coffee. I hand over 3.5k baht , then a futher 600 in 100 baht notes.

Sales girls # 1 returns, talks to sales girl #2 who then disappears and returns with...500 baht in 100 baht notes as change. Righto.

Both sales girls pack everything into a very fetching blue canvas bag with "I love nokia" all over it, give me a wai and say "thank you sir". I leave TUK com, as I'm about to climb on the baht bus I check my spanking new Nokia phone and realise everything is now in Thai, both on that and my busted screen Huwaei, I then decide I might have a problem so return to the TUK com store. I smile, hand back both phones and explain that I can't read, write or work out how to change it back from Thai. "Busy have customer, one hour" comes the response. One trip to the coffe shop and 2 frappes later and i'm on my way out within 10 minutes ,all contacts, apps and media transferred and backed up.

I was half expecting to be ripped off for a moody Nokia, but it's actually very good, faster than my old Huwaei and it has been confrimed as genuine by the local Carphone warehouse, and they told me the Nokia warranty remains valid in the UK.

Added to that, it was also cheaper to buy it in Thailand than the UK. Over here they retail for around £129, over there it worked out about £85 give or take, plus the freebies (silicon cover, 10 screen protectors and a gay bag) that range from £10 upwards over here.

So if ever you find yourself in need of a replacement phone, I recommend this place located on the ground or bottom floor of TUK com on the right adjacent to 4 ATM machines. I don't know the name of the place as it's written in Thai on the receipt. When I compare it to the 1700 baht (probably unreliable) repair option, getting a whole new phone for just over double that seems to be a better idea.

Edited by Butch
  • Upvote 2

Hi Butch, fun read.

I wasn't sure until the last paragraph whether this was a positive or negative review of the shop! I have been here too long and all that 'Thainess' might have got my gander up!

I bought my last phone at Jaymart in the Central Festival Beach Rd, the service was quite good there and I liked that they had a guy with good English. No need to see any passport stuff as it was a straight SIM swap to the new phone. They too stuck these things to the phone that protect it making me wait ages as he did a great job without any bubbles under them, but I was buying a Samsung specific hard see through cover and it was unnecessary and they got peeled off when I got home. A little gay box of goodies came with it too. Only aggravation was that the protective cover I bought they got from the Samsung dealer a few shops away and they tried to rip me off with a high price. If a Thai doesn't try to rip you off here each week you aren't going anywhere.

Is your shop what used to be the Sony Centre?

VAT may explain some of the difference in price, 7% in Thailand, 20% in the UK, also the phones are often different model numbers with slight spec differences. The EU forces them to make sure they don't burst into flames in your pocket, Thailand isn't as fussy.

Enjoy the new phone.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

Hi,

Mr Fiend, I'm pretty impressed so far, time will tell. It did come with some "bloatware" on it which I've since removed but all in all it I prefer it to my Huwaei.

Jacko, I hadn't considered the VAT element so yep, spot on, that along with what I think is a different spec (dual sim being one) that's going to be the reason.

In my last para I was being serious, on balance repairs never seem to be 100% reliable, wherever they're done, so in buying a phone (but taking a slight risk at the same time as to the authenticity) kind of made sense to me at the time. It was one of those situations where I had to just swallow my pride and the 3600 baht bill and crack on. For some reason I've never seen a successful permanent repair of tech stuff, especially not in the RP so in my twisted logic I thought I'll end up spending 1700 on a crap repair plus another 3600 on a phone, so I went for the more expensive but perhaps more cost effective option. I'll understand if you tell me that makes no sense, because I'm struggling to see it myself lol.

I think it might well be the old Sony centre, it looks a decent outfit and is staffed by 3, all wearing uniforms with name tags etc.

My only problem is that the default "save" for videos and photo's is the phone itself, I don't know how to transfer and get it to default transfer to the memory card. Probably have to google it or the better option, get a BG to do for me.

Overall it was a lot less painful than I had expected, and it was all sorted out much faster than I expected as well. In and out within 2 hours isn't a bad turnaround considering an hour was wasted.

My only problem is that the default "save" for videos and photo's is the phone itself, I don't know how to transfer and get it to default transfer to the memory card. Probably have to google it or the better option, get a BG to do for me.

You will figure it out in time, also might depend on which version of Android you are using.

Obviously when a memory card is in there and being seen..

I have to select 'Camera', then Settings (a cogwheel)

Scroll down to 'Storage Location' etc

For moving things you may need to download a file manager App unless you have one already.

Edited by jacko

I don't know much about Nokia phones these days, but 4100 Baht for a new phone seems like a great deal. The last time I bought a phone in Thailand was in 2006, and back then the little flip phones were everywhere so that's what I bought, and as I recall it was almost 15,000 Baht. In any event, I guess I'll be bringing my phones with me from the USA, an iPhone X, a Samsung Galaxy S8, and a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I don't use the Samsungs much, mostly just the iPhone X at this point, and with that phone, everything is backed up to the cloud. So I think when I get a new Thai Sim card for the iPhone, all I have to do is restore my contacts, bookmarks, etc. from the cloud and I'll be set.

Jacko, I hadn't considered the VAT element so yep, spot on, that along with what I think is a different spec (dual sim being one) that's going to be the reason.

Yes a little less VAT but UK wise you likely cannot get a like for like model anyhow so its academic.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a phone without dual SIM function (pre-smartphone era I actually used a quad SIM)

Ask a mobile phone salesperson about their range of dual SIM phones in the UK and they'll need a lie down in a dark room :D

Two SIMs one Thai / one home, never miss a OTP from the bank, or any other necessary communications

I bought a phone from the tech mall in Pattaya when I had stupidly left mine in a night club. The guy told me it was a copy Samsung S5 and the price reflected that. Fine I thought as I just needed something to get me through the next few days. Well when I got home and switched back in Australian sim I found it would just restart itself in a never ending loop. The phone must have been tied to the Thai network or something. I kept it for a bit in case I was going back to Pattaya but after a few months threw it in the bin.

Lesson learnt - don't buy copy phones when on holiday.

I bought the phone I am currently using in Pattaya. I got from a shop in central as they matched the Tukcom price and I was reasonably sure it was genuine.

As a bonus I got a proper tax invoice so I could claim the VAT on the way out of the country. Also used the tax invoice to claim the phone as a business expense on my tax that year.

Hi,

Mr Fiend, I'm pretty impressed so far, time will tell. It did come with some "bloatware" on it which I've since removed but all in all it I prefer it to my Huwaei.

My Nokia 8 came with just the basic Android OS, no bloatware whatsoever..... and within less than a week the update to Android 8.0 was made available and now updated to Android 8.1.... I'm loving mine.

The quality on the new "Nokias" is as good as it ever was, certainly better than the Samsung mobiles I have come across..... my wife and my daughter have Samsung..

• Upvote 1

Hi Butch,

What insurance do you have that will refund you a phone you fucked up yourself - and without any own risk (having to pay the first 50 or 100 pounds yourself)?

On this trip I managed to bust my bottom of the range Huwaei, so a trip and urgent replacement was needed before Mrs Butch sent some hitmen from the Philippines to ask me why i wasn't answering.

They couldn't repair my phone but offered me a similar but slightly higher spec Nokia N3 for 3600 baht, relucantly I agreed, in the knowledge that when I return to the UK I'll get my old one replaced free from the insurance and I can punt it out on Ebay for about the same money.

Hi Odense

I trust you're well my friend.

In the UK I use the "team knowhow" which the Carphone Warehouse sell when you buy a new phone. It covers everything except "malicious" damage, so basically don't admit you chucked the phone at your girlfriend in a rage which broke it, but instead it fell onto the floor from your pocket.

There used to be 2 options, a one off policy payment of £50 with no "excess" (payment when you claim) or £25 with a £10 excess. so effectively I got a brand new phone, in the box and all accessories for £35 , there is no restriction for the number of claims either. Technically I did pay for the phone via an insurance policy so it wasn't "free" but that's insurance for you lol. It does vary depending upon the value of the phone however.

If they cannot provide a phone because it is discontinued, then you get the next model up or the updated model. I've claimed every year so far, when the policy nears it's renewal I "drop" my phone and get a new one, very often it is updated but in this case it was not, it's still last years model.

Cheers

Butch

Edited by Butch
  • Upvote 1

Hi Butch,
Thank you for the great answer.
I am still well thanks - and I it good to see how well you are doing.

I can see you are covered on the phone you actually lost in Pattaya so that is a good option.

I break several rules myself so I am not on any high horse - but the phones that you "accidentally" drop each year is insurance fraud. The insurance premiums would be impossible high if all insured did that.

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk

Edited by Odense

I have bought two copies in Patta from Tocom and both looked beautiful and were worthless. Totally a waste of money and time. Unless I lived here I would never buy a phone locally. Why give up waranty rights?

Twin SIM phones.Never and here is why. Like others I have lost my phone in Thailand and didnt recover it. Luckily it only had my Thai SIM and not the home one. It took me time as I had to file a police report but AIS then supplied a duplicate SIM for me and I was back on track. Imagine the total disaster had I lost my home SIM. Also, as a precaution I always turn of Roaming Data in each respective country. Get this matter wrong and you can get hit with a shit load of bills.

And finally, when I get home I always remove my SIM from the Thai phone. Everyone in Thailand has Line or Whatsapp and as I have heaps of date to spare at home l can get all my Thai messages, video calls etc for free. I can see zero reason for either buying a heap of shit phone or a double sim phone..Incidentally, having two phone exactly the same (Galaxy) allows me to use one as a battery charger. Another great reason for two phones as I always seem to be running the batteries down and they seem to take longer to charge in Thailand which I put down to lower voltage..

Good info Teelack, I was in a bit of a tight spot and needed a phone though. It is at the lower end of the market and is also a genuine Nokia item, I made sure of that. As I mentioned, many of us I'm sure have had repairs done, or purchased phones in good faith only for them to be crap. There are numerous copies out there, as well as ones which are marketed as smartphones but have inferior chipsets etc in them, so after a few weeks they get to be useless.

My dual SIM is handy because I can now add my Globe SIM into it from the RP. I'm on PAYG in the UK as well, so losing my SIM wouldn't be the end of the world but it would be more inconvenient to lose 2 rather than one!. :o I use more data in LOS and the RP than the UK.

I fail to follow the 'Ooh I couldnt have one because what if I lost it' credo

do the exponents of this apply it to money, credit cards, keys, tickets, watches, guns, etc etc etc as well

:unsure:

• Downvote 1

do the exponents of this apply it to money, credit cards, keys, tickets, watches, guns, etc etc etc as well

I wish that I had your faith. I come to Thailand and drink, dance, carouse and I sure as hell am not the only person to lose their phone or have it run over on the road. All I can do is to state and offer to rationalise a point of view. You seem to be saying that it will never happen to you. Best of luck with that one.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I've been happy with the Samsung J7 Pro which I bought last October from the AIS shop in the basement of Central Festival. It has 32GB of memory and a very good camera. Had to sign up for a service plan to get the price on the phone but the monthly charge was a few hundred baht cheaper than what I had been paying for pay as go. No, I don't remember the price of the phone with any certainty but I suspect it is lower now anyway.

Edited by nkped

I've been happy with the Samsung J7 Pro which I bought last October from the AIS shop in the basement of Central Festival. It has 32MB of memory and a very good camera. Had to sign up for a service plan to get the price on the phone but the monthly charge was a few hundred baht cheaper than what I had been paying for pay as go. No, I don't remember the price of the phone with any certainty but I suspect it is lower now anyway.

7900 baht at Jaymart No service plan required.

But I have often found they offer special incentives or a discount if you go in person.

I bought one for the Mrs a while back and she seems pretty happy with it.

Lol good point, I do apply it to keys, which is why I've got 3 spare sets of all of them (yes indeedly, I am that organised!!). As for credit cards etc, well I lose my wallet on a daily basis somewhere around the house, but it would be a disaster if I properly lost it, which is why I keep a small float of cash handy for emergencies.

I think that because phones are relatively fragile (unlinke a wallet) they can be busted when dropped, sat on or even just get a mood on and stop working altogether which I guess is why some guys keep a spare.

It's not just the phone. Unless people have everything properly backed up to the cloud, you can lose all sorts of stuff when you lose your phone. Pictures, videos, email, access to mobile apps including bank and brokerage accounts, cryptocurrency wallets, etc. Anyone getting their hands on all that could possible cause you a lot of trouble.

I bought a top of the line Samsung S5. About as soon as it was out of warranty, it died. Samsung wanted 8,000 baht to replace the mainboard. I declined. I found a shop in Bangkok, I think it is called Dr. Smartphone or something close to that name. I sent the phone to them and they wanted 4,000 baht to replace the mainboard. I transferred the money to them. I got the phone back and it worked for less than a week. I sent it back to them and they replaced the mainboard again. The 30 day warranty expired and the phone died again. I should add that that mainboard was Russian. The phone was put in a drawer for more than a year. I took a trip down to Jomtien and took the phone with me. A trip to Tuk Com and a small shop said they would try to repair it. That cost me 500 baht. It worked for just a few hours so I took it back to that shop. They did refund my 500 baht and told me the phone was not worth repairing. Being stubborn, I took it to another shop. I think it is called We Fixit or something like that. They replaced the mainboard for 2,500 baht with a 30 day warranty. It has been working fine for a couple months now. Since I had paid more than 20,000 baht for the phone, I was loath to throw it away. My backup phone is now a Xiaomi Mi A1. It was my daily driver and has never had a problem. The Xiaomi is much faster and I think it is a better phone. The camera is capable of taking good pictures, BUT, not every time. That sucks. The S5 camera is great and I think the Samsung call quality is also a little better. The battery life sucked but I found that the Ultra battery saver option gives me about a week of light use. When the Samsung dies again, I will bounce it off the wall so I won't be tempted to repair it again. I'm now a fan of Chinese phones. Half the price and better quality. I also have a 8.6 inch screen Huawei tablet and it is also much faster with great top and bottom speakers for listening to audio books. It can also make phone calls. It has replaced my slower heavy laptop for traveling. The laptop speakers suck. No more expensive Samsungs or Apple products.