Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Any members ever tried the fish pedicure-massage. They are the ones where you put your feet in a tank filled with tiny fish that clean all the dead cells on your feet. Any feed-back, positive or negative is appreciated. Location if you have a favorite.

It works (if the setup is properly run) - but it will only be effective if you only have a limited amount of dead skin.

For feet like mine a Scholl Velvet Smooth or similar is more effective.

Any members ever tried the fish pedicure-massage. They are the ones where you put your feet in a tank filled with tiny fish that clean all the dead cells on your feet. Any feed-back, positive or negative is appreciated. Location if you have a favorite.

A while ago, I read that people ought to be careful about using the fish massages. Apparently, the fish can pass infection from one person to another.

I am with teelack, I found the slight tickling irritating.

I've never paid for one. I have had my feet massaged by fish plenty of times though, but for free, up in Kanchanaburi at Erawan Falls. Plenty of fish at each level of the falls that just can't wait for your to put your feet in.

Thankyou all for your replies. Sounds kind of negative. I still my give it a try when I get to Pattaya.

Make sure you get the right kind of fish.

The cheap alternative in Chinese algae eaters, they will rasp over your feet, but that's all, they won't target the dead skin. A typical Thai fake.

The right fish will be free-swimming, or resting on the bottom of the tank, if they've clamped to the sides with mouth suckers they're the wrong ones.

• Upvote 1

Reading the article, it states that there have been NO known cases infections being passed in the UK.. I suspect that in Thailnd the filtering and lighing is less stict though

There used to be one in the Avenue - all very clean, nice people running it.

Sat with my feet in a tank of cold water watching all the girls go by - I liked it.

The fish did tickle a bit swimming between my toes.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/03/fish-pedicure-causes-woman-to-lose-her-toenails-report-says.html

Fish pedicure causes woman to lose her toenails, report says

1530639651494.jpg?ve=1&tl=1&text=big-top

A woman reportedly lost her toenails after getting a fish pedicure. (istock)

A woman in her 20s reportedly lost all of her toenails after allegedly getting a so-called “fish pedicure,” a treatment touted by many as rejuvenating for a person’s feet.

Fish pedicures involve having small fish nibble on a person’s feet while they soak in a tub of warm or room temperature water. The toothless carp fish – which are plant eaters – voraciously feast on dead human skin.

After having the fish pedicure, the woman said her toenails stopped growing and then started falling off. At first the woman thought she might have onychomadesis, a condition known for having similar symptoms; however, a visit to a dermatologist, ruled that out, Gizmodo reported.

“While the mechanism of action is not entirely clear, it is likely due to the fish traumatizing the nail matrix,” Sheri Lipner, an assistant professor of dermatology at Columbia University’s Weill Cornell Medicine and the woman’s doctor, told the website.

She said the case could be the first documented instance of onychomadesis ever caused by fish.

“I do not recommend fish pedicures for any medical or aesthetic purpose,” Lipner said. “In addition to onychomadesis, there are also serious infections associated with fish pedicures.”

Lipner would not reveal where the woman got the pedicure, but noted the treatment has been banned in at least 10 states, largely due to health concerns.

The woman’s toenails will likely return, but it will take a long time as nails only grow about one millimeter a month on average, Lipner said.

Lucia I. Suarez Sang is a Reporter for FoxNews.com. Follow her on Twitter @luciasuarezsang

Edited by BigusDicus

WOW. SCARY.

Near paranoid......

Probably no more of a health risk than other things I get up to in MPs!

• 4 weeks later...