Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

"Flying Greens" Lives Up to Its Name

Pakbungloyfah, which translates roughly as "flying greens" or "flying vegetables," lives up to its name on occasion. An extremely high heat is used to fry the greens, resulting in them catching fire.

IMG_0057.jpg

The content of the wok full of greens is tossed across 2nd Road for the amusement of guests and passers-by.

IMG_0070.jpg

The Pakbungloyfah branch near Walking Street is carrying on an old tradition:

There's a story about two Thai brothers who each ran a small restaurant across the street from the other. The brothers noticed that the higher they tossed the flaming greens, the bigger a crowd formed and the better business became. They got so expert that they eventually tossed the wok's contents across the street for the other to catch. Who knows if this actually happened, but it's the explanation given for the name of the dish from which the restaurant takes its name.

I took these pics back in February during Chinese New Year, but Pakbungloyfah has continued with the greens' tossing on an irregular basis since then. A few months ago, they seemed to be doing it every Saturday, but I don't know if that has continued into low season.

Pakbungloyfah is a Thai seafood and sizzling platter restaurant on 2nd Road. It's located between Sois 13/3 and 13/4 and is directly across the street from the intersection of 2nd Road and Soi 15. It's open between 4 p.m. and 4 a.m. seven days a week.

1.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

From what I've seen on several nights, the guy across the street catches the greens about half the time.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075a.jpg

IMG_0076b.jpg

IMG_0077c.jpg

IMG_0079e.jpg

IMG_0080f.jpg

IMG_0081g.jpg

IMG_0082h.jpg

IMG_0083i.jpg

• Upvote 2

Can you imagine riding past on your bike and getting smacked across the face with hot veggies!! :yikes:

Can you imagine riding past on your bike and getting smacked across the face with hot veggies!! :yikes:

It just missed me last week, I had a marrow escape.

• Upvote 2

Grooooaaaaaannnnnn!!

It flew past like some rocket!

I saw this in quite a few towns in Vietnam. One town had a guy standing on the roof of a pickup who threw it across the road to another guy, also on the roof of a pick up. Rarely missed a catch on the nights I watched them.

Used to happen at the original flying vegetable restaurant on Pattaya Klang, near soi 8, here.

Has the place relocated?

It's not just smoke and mirrors at Pakbungloyfah. Some good meals I've had there:

Duck with mushroom sauce:

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

Shrimp with enokitake (enoki mushrooms):

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

• Upvote 3