Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Under 300 Baht ... And Mediocre (Updated Jan. 15, 2020)

I really have little to add to the topic other than the following. Most Farangs that I know would say that perhaps the most mediocre eaterie in Pattaya is Kiss. For me when I want a substantial snack the club sandwich and chips at under 100 baht is fine. The strange thing is that in the last few months I have been asked on 3 occasions by Thai girls to take them there and have had no complaints. I would never have thought of talking someone there but this experience is changing my thinking. Perhaps mediocre has a different meaning to different people?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Have had Thai girls drag me to Kiss in the past. Usually, the fried fish can be OK (though even that sometimes fails) and most other dishes I have tried are mediocre at best. The Jomtien shop is no improvement yet often see Thais eating there. Best I can figure is that it is still relatively cheap though the portions are small.

I really have little to add to the topic other than the following. Most Farangs that I know would say that perhaps the most mediocre eaterie in Pattaya is Kiss. For me when I want a substantial snack the club sandwich and chips at under 100 baht is fine. The strange thing is that in the last few months I have been asked on 3 occasions by Thai girls to take them there and have had no complaints. I would never have thought of talking someone there but this experience is changing my thinking. Perhaps mediocre has a different meaning to different people?

Most of my trips I have had lodging within walking distance of Kiss. I have eaten there twice on my own and once because a Thai girl wanted to eat there, though I would have taken her to any eatery of her choice.

:clueless

I tried the Sunday Carvery at The Robin Hood yesterday, and my sentiments echo EP's excellent reporting above.

Firstly it was the Sunday, all you can eat carvery, so 395 baht, and I arrived before 1pm, so the stuff had not been sitting out for long.

Mushroom soup for starter, OK but nothing extraordinary, a skin had formed on it.

Carvery had 5 choices, Chicken, Ham, Pork, Beef and Lamb.... I went for those I never get at home. lamb and beef, both okay but not special, they were not joints of meat but more pressed blocks, lamb is best from a nice leg or cutlets. Gravy boat needed for the dry stuffing and bacon wrapped sausage, but as it was help yourself I got a reasonable looking Yorkshire pudding. Choices of bland looking veggies but I went with cauliflower cheese, not very cheesy and a little undercooked, as were the roast potatoes. My second plate I tried mashed which was good.

My seat near the West side window was a little warm for such heavy food. Hence I substituted ice-cream for the flan/ egg custard that was on offer. Along with a pint of Heiny which was cool and refreshing the total was just over 500 baht. The place had filled up while I was there, which meant there weren't any available tables but the place didn't look crowded. Getting to and from food requires limber hips.

A plus, waitresses in short skirts they are always pulling at. They work hard but perhaps need one or two more, sometimes kept waiting... use the bell which I noticed late on!

A reasonable choice but I think there are better carveries around on a Sunday.

Edited by jacko

I tried the Sunday Carvery at The Robin Hood yesterday, and my sentiments echo EP's excellent reporting above.

Firstly it was the Sunday, all you can eat carvery, so 395 baht, and I arrived before 1pm, so the stuff had not been sitting out for long.

Mushroom soup for starter, OK but nothing extraordinary, a skin had formed on it.

Carvery had 5 choices, Chicken, Ham, Pork, Beef and Lamb.... I went for those I never get at home. lamb and beef, both okay but not special, they were not joints of meat but more pressed blocks, lamb is best from a nice leg or cutlets. Gravy boat needed for the dry stuffing and bacon wrapped sausage, but as it was help yourself I got a reasonably looking Yorkshire pudding. Choices of bland looking veggies but I went with cauliflower cheese, not very cheesy and a little undercooked, as were the roast potatoes. My second plate I tried mashed which was good.

My seat near the West side window was a little warm for such heavy food. Hence I substituted ice-cream for the flan/ egg custard that was on offer. Along with a pint of Heiny which was cool and refreshing the total was just over 500 baht. The place had filled up while I was there, which meant there weren't any available tables but the place didn't look crowded. Getting to and from food requires limber hips.

A plus, waitresses in short skirts they are always pulling at. They work hard but perhaps need one or two more, sometimes kept waiting... use the bell which I noticed late on!

A reasonable choice but I think there are better carveries around on a Sunday.

I usually have the 199 baht Sunday meal. It is more than enough for me and while not as good as the Queens Arms is still good value for money.

The all-you-can-eat international buffet at the Atlantis Restaurant at the Centara Azure on Soi 15 falls squarely in the mediocre column. It runs Monday through Thursday, 6.30 p.m. to 10.30 p.m, and costs 299 baht.

There isn't much variety- about eight main dishes ( four each of Asian and farang food), a measly salad bar and a few side dishes, appetizers and desserts to choose from. It's not a bountiful buffet. The food is undistinguished and dining can be hassle due to Chinese and other tour groups. We got there at 7.00 p.m. but the serving trays had already been heavily plundered and the staff was slow to refill them.

IMG_0084.jpg

It's a rather off-putting experience to see Chinese tourists hit a buffet and much worse if you have to compete with them. I'm not going to say more, but I think you get the idea.

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

The best thing about the Atlantis is the decor and huge aquarium. Kids love it, but it's sad when watching fish in a restaurant is more enjoyable than eating fish.

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

I haven't tried the BBQ buffet and never will, but a friend who did try it thought it was not just mediocre but bad considering the price.

IMG_0088.jpg

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 2

If the roasts and carvery at Robin Hood are mediocre what does that say about other offerings around town? I think it ranks amongst the best options available and compares favourably to the much vaunted Sportsman carvery.

In the past I have tried the carveries at Jolly's and Robin's Nest and came to the conclusion that there was something wrong with a carvery where the best parts of the meal are the soup and the ice cream.

The main positives on the Robin Hood Sunday Carvery are the quality of the meats and the inclusion of lamb, (this forced the Sportsman to start including lamb in their carvery price again). I like the fact that they include a proper cooked dessert, although this varies from week to week, rather than just a couple of dollops of ice cream. Some of the soups, like Jacko's mushroom soup and the pumpkin soup maybe a bit bland, but the carrot and ginger soup was better than expected, and the tomato and basil soup is very good.

The daily carvery offered during the week is a welcome improvement on reheated roasts offered by other places.

Edited by tallguy

If the roasts and carvery at Robin Hood are mediocre what does that say about other offerings around town? I think it ranks amongst the best options available and compares favourably to the much vaunted Sportsman carvery.

In the past I have tried the carveries at Jolly's and Robin's Nest and came to the conclusion that there was something wrong with a carvery where the best parts of the meal are the soup and the ice cream.

The main positives on the Robin Hood Sunday Carvery are the quality of the meats and the inclusion of lamb, (this forced the Sportsman to start including lamb in their carvery price again). I like the fact that they include a proper cooked dessert, although this varies from week to week, rather than just a couple of dollops of ice cream. Some of the soups, like Jacko's mushroom soup and the pumpkin soup maybe a bit bland, but the carrot and ginger soup was better than expected, and the tomato and basil soup is very good.

The daily carvery offered during the week is a welcome improvement on reheated roasts offered by other places.

Like me, you are an old timer of Pattaya. Did you ever have the carvery at the old Shenanigans, when it was approximately where Dicey Reilly's is now? It was pretty expensive but very very good.

Edited by jacko

Like me, you are an old timer of Pattaya. Did you ever have the carvery at the old Shenanigans, when it was approximately where Dicey Reilly's is now? It was pretty expensive but very very good.

As a two week holiday maker I didn't spend much time in that area. By the time I started staying around the Buakhau / Dianna area on longer trips Shenanigans had moved to The Avenue. I did enjoy the carvery there as an occasional treat, I especially enjoyed the prawns on the salad bar. Unfortunately it did go downhill a bit during the year or so before Shenanigans closed.

IMG_0041.jpg

A lot of people favor the Sailor Restaurant on Soi 7, mainly because it is cheap, but I've never had much luck. I've eaten there five times in the past six years Three meals were bad (one totally inedible), one was good and the most recent (last night) was mediocre.

IMG_0035.jpg

I tried one of the more expensive items on the menu, the T-bone steak for 150 baht. It came with a choice of potatoes, boiled vegetables and a smattering of cabbage salad.I'm fully aware that for 150 baht you're not going to get imported beef, so my expectations weren't too high. I asked for the steak to be done medium and that's how it came.As soon as I had a piece of it in my mouth, I was reminded of the children's story "The Little Engine That Could." Chew, chew, chew and me tell myself, "I think I can, I think I can." It wasn't impossibly tough, but tough enough to place it in the mediocre category. The mashed potatoes tasted weird and the veggies had been boiled way too soft for me, but some like them that way.

IMG_0039.jpg

I knew before I stepped into the Sailor I was entering the heart of Cheap Charlie darkness, where price and portion size are much more important than taste. I figured I'd get a mediocre meal and that's exactly what happened. But whatever its culinary faults, the Sailor has been in operation for many years and remains popular. I sat down at the last available table about 8.00 p.m. At least 30 people were dining, including three groups of eight. It thinned out a bit as I ate my meal, but still had plenty of customers when I finished.

IMG_00321.jpg

The day the zombie apocalypse comes to Pattaya, the Sailor Restaurant will be one of the last outlying bastions of Cheap Charliedom to fall before the final stand at New Plaza. I'll check back in 2019 to see if the Sailor has changed.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 3

I dont in general subscribe to food threads as I have no kind of special palate and am generally happy with most things put in front of me, well those things I chose because I like them. But I do love the food at the Golf Club in LK metro . I love the green curry and they do a great barbecue 3 nights a week . Now some of their meals are over the 300 but those meals I have seen big guys with big appetites take home doggie bags . The place cant be all that bad as I am sure most of its trade is from patrons of other bars who order their food at the golf club and delivered to other bars all over LK Metro by the very hard working girls and the BBQ guys is really good. Even as an admitted cheap charlie I find the food in the golf club to be wholesome tasty and economic if not the cheapest it is for me the best all round place to eat in fun town and I eat there 5 or 6 days a week when in town. Mind you I eat mainly their green Curry , which I think IS the best in town their burgers which are tasty and the BBQ chicken breasts and baked potatoes .

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Early this week I tried the daily special (roast chicken dinner, 139 baht) at Malee Restaurant on Soi Honey. I've had several meals at Malee 3 off Soi Buakhao and the Malee branch on Soi Lengkee and they had been pretty good.

Unfortunately, the meal at Male Soi Honey wasn't. It was merely mediocre. It consisted of a quarter chicken (thigh and leg), mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables and packet gravy.

IMG_0165.jpg.b3c3a697f3d3a9f87ee1a81ac81

The chicken was dry and the skin had a weird texture, as though it had been cooked, left to stand and reheated. The potatoes were crudely mashed with a fork. The veggies were OK and not overcooked.

IMG_0169.jpg.3c36112f11a6aea8e04849ed602

On the positive side, portion size was fine and the service was friendly. The restaurant was clean and well-lit.

Bottom line: a mediocre meal at a cheap price.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • 3 weeks later...

Untitled-2.jpg.dc35c72bc8523f2b3de955549

I used the Eatigo discount (50% at 1.30 p.m.) to have lunch the other day at the Garden Cafe at the Avani Hotel on 2nd Road. I had been tempted by the "Recommended Menu" selections on Eatigo, but none of the dishes I wanted to try were available on the limited lunch menu. I chose Lamb Rogan Josh at 350 baht as the best option. it came with basmati rice; tiny pieces of naan bread; a tiny dish of chutney, unknown flavor; and an equally small dish of a super-salty pickled vegetable.

IMG_0008.jpg.7b998d8c215bb90f53862f39d0e

I'm not a portion fanatic, but the serving of lamb rogan josh was small even by my standards, You can use the fork in the pic for a sense of scale. It was a large plat, but it didn't have much food on it. It wasn't value-for-money even with a 50% discount.

IMG_0010.jpg.c4be298be572eae58136347b393

The aromatic sauce was great, but a couple of the chunks of lamb hadn't had the fat trimmed properly and were gristly. To me, unrendered lamb fat is gamy and inedible. On the whole, it was a mediocre dish, despite the sauce. The menu price doesn't include VAT and service, so the real cost was 205 baht. The cheapest bottle of mineral water was 80 baht, bringing the total cost of the meal to 299 baht. To be fair, Eatigo makes clear the menu prices are ++.

The interior of the Garden Cafe is very nice, but I was the only person eating there.

IMG_0011.jpg.ccb194e6410c194b8ae1d8a446a

IMG_0012.jpg.553ca44af6d2e054ec3c49292f0

IMG_20180927_134515.jpg.81bc9cb113c2e1ac

There's also an extensive outdoor eating area and its own herb garden. I saw one of the cooks snipping fresh herbs. Service was friendly and attentive.

IMG_0017.jpg.8792b430baaa4db2f2b5f533b16

IMG_0016.jpg.cccd82aef5f7b77c6bb9342947e

Untitled-1.jpg.75ccc4b19cdcaa7bf85083ca4

Bottom line: You have the potential for an excellent dining experience at the Garden Cafe, but the Lamb Rogan Josh was only mediocre. I expected better at the Garden Cafe.

Evil

• Upvote 1

I had the American Breakfast at Retox Game On at the beginning of the week. The normal price was 179 baht, but I got it on the Eatigo 50% discount for 90 baht at 7.30 a.m. Sadly, it wasn't a very cheerful start to the day.

Things turned negative as soon as I showed the waitress my cell phone screen with the Eatigo confirmation code. She claimed it wasn't valid because it didn't include the date. I tried to explain that the confirmation code indicated "Today," as it always does when you make a reservation the same day you eat. She insisted the Eatigo confirmation message had to show the date in numerical form.

I kept my voice calm and my tone polite, yet nothing I said had any effect on her. I showed her the app and how it worked, even offered to make a new reservation in front of her eyes, but she just shook her head "no." I was about to ask for the manager when she grabbed my phone and scurried off with it. I was NOT pleased she'd done that, but I figured she was taking it to show someone for a final decision. She came back in a few minutes, returned my phone and asked what I wanted to eat like nothing had happened. Weird and unprofessional behavior, but I let it ride. It's one more example of failure to communicate and nothing to harp on with her after the fact, although I did have a few frustrating minutes.

Retox' American breakfast consisted of two fried eggs; two small pancakes; two slices of streaky bacon; a mystery meat sausage; and what the menu called maple syrup and hash browns. It also came with two slices of toast; two pats of butter; a small glass of orange drink; and a choice of coffee or tea.

IMG_0296.jpg.ea98ff71f0a23c3e687faf89229

The pancakes and streaky bacon were the two best items on the plate. The bacon had a strong smoky and salty flavor that's typical for the U.S., while the pancakes were light and fluffy if a bit thick. The coffee was good, too.

IMG_0293.jpg.31ea64b6724179e628d1ff2ce00

IMG_0291.jpg.9e9b27863ac35df351f7af29da9

On the other hand, the eggs were overcooked for my taste and the formed-meat sausage and fried potatoes were inedible. The sausage had a horrid hot-dog-like smooth texture and the potatoes were greasy and mushy. The pancake syrup was about as far from the sap of the sugar maple tree as the forests of Vermont are from the cane fields of Chonburi province.

IMG_0297.jpg.e11d9067bdb954befaa39d42ee3

Bottom line: It was a mediocre breakfast and that's being generous considering the hassle with the waitress. It reminded me why I seldom bother with a Western breakfast in Pattaya. I'm not expecting heaven on a plate for 90 baht, but I do expect better than I got.

One point for which I give Retox kudos is that the menu prices are not ++. Service and VAT were included the 179-baht price and the Eatigo discount reflected this.

IMG_0292.jpg.eb7255030397cbe5231fd873abe

Evil

• Upvote 3

I had the American Breakfast at Retox Game On at the beginning of the week. The normal price was 179 baht, but I got it on the Eatigo 50% discount for 90 baht at 7.30 a.m. Sadly, it wasn't a very cheerful start to the day.

Things turned negative as soon as I showed the waitress my cell phone screen with the Eatigo confirmation code. She claimed it wasn't valid because it didn't include the date. I tried to explain that the confirmation code indicated "Today," as it always does when you make a reservation the same day you eat. She insisted the Eatigo confirmation message had to show the date in numerical form.

I kept my voice calm and my tone polite, yet nothing I said had any effect on her. I showed her the app and how it worked, even offered to make a new reservation in front of her eyes, but she just shook her head "no." I was about to ask for the manager when she grabbed my phone and scurried off with it. I was NOT pleased she'd done that, but I figured she was taking it to show someone for a final decision. She came back in a few minutes, returned my phone and asked what I wanted to eat like nothing had happened. Weird and unprofessional behavior, but I let it ride. It's one more example of failure to communicate and nothing to harp on with her after the fact, although I did have a few frustrating minutes.

Retox' American breakfast consisted of two fried eggs; two small pancakes; two slices of streaky bacon; a mystery meat sausage; and what the menu called maple syrup and hash browns. It also came with two slices of toast; two pats of butter; a small glass of orange drink; and a choice of coffee or tea.

IMG_0296.jpg.ea98ff71f0a23c3e687faf89229

The pancakes and streaky bacon were the two best items on the plate. The bacon had a strong smoky and salty flavor that's typical for the U.S., while the pancakes were light and fluffy if a bit thick. The coffee was good, too.

IMG_0293.jpg.31ea64b6724179e628d1ff2ce00

IMG_0291.jpg.9e9b27863ac35df351f7af29da9

On the other hand, the eggs were overcooked for my taste and the formed-meat sausage and fried potatoes were inedible. The sausage had a horrid hot-dog-like smooth texture and the potatoes were greasy and mushy. The pancake syrup was about as far from the sap of the sugar maple tree as the forests of Vermont are from the cane fields of Chonburi province.

IMG_0297.jpg.e11d9067bdb954befaa39d42ee3

Bottom line: It was a mediocre breakfast and that's being generous considering the hassle with the waitress. It reminded me why I seldom bother with a Western breakfast in Pattaya. I'm not expecting heaven on a plate for 90 baht, but I do expect better than I got.

One point for which I give Retox kudos is that the menu prices are not ++. Service and VAT were included the 179-baht price and the Eatigo discount reflected this.

IMG_0292.jpg.eb7255030397cbe5231fd873abe

Evil

This is why I go to iRovers for their 119b American Bkfast... no hassle... and the sausages are better than Retox's... no potatoes though...

.. oops, I guess this belongs in the other thread... 555

Edited by Saddic
  • 1 month later...
I wish I could have included the Chunky Monkey's 99-baht spaghetti bolognese special of the day in the "Under 300 Baht ... And Good!" thread, but it just didn't make the grade.

What I got was tasteless sauteed ground beef dumped on top of a plate of spaghetti. There was no real sauce and no seasoning at all, Italian or otherwise.

IMG_0094.jpg

Some pieces of onion and garlic and maybe a spoonful of tomato puree had been added to the beef, but in such a small quantity and cooked for such a short time they didn't add any flavor. The watery liquid wasn't a sauce. Even the little dish of grated Parmesan cheese from a package was flavorless.

IMG_0099.jpg

If there were an Olympics of Blandness for restaurant food, this would be a gold medal winner. But as standard restaurant fare, it ranks no higher than mediocre. For 99 baht, I'm not expecting the best spaghetti in town, but it should at least have a proper sauce with an Italian flavor.

IMG_0098.jpg

The Chunky Monkey (on Soi Buakhao across from Tree Town) ...

IMG_00693.jpg

has been open about three weeks and has already established itself as one of the more popular eateries in the area. I certainly wish it well, but I hope the spaghetti bolognese will improve. I've only eaten there twice and so far the Chunky Monkey is batting 50-50 with me: one good meal, one mediocre. You can read about the good meal here (post #259).

Bottom line: The mediocre spaghetti special won't deter me from returning to the Chunky Monkey.

Evil

• Upvote 2

It wasn't value-for-money even with a 50% discount.

The aromatic sauce was great, but a couple of the chunks of lamb hadn't had the fat trimmed properly and were gristly. To me, unrendered lamb fat is gamy and inedible. On the whole, it was a mediocre dish, despite the sauce. The menu price doesn't include VAT and service, so the real cost was 205 baht. The cheapest bottle of mineral water was 80 baht, bringing the total cost of the meal to 299 baht.

Untitled-1.jpg.75ccc4b19cdcaa7bf85083ca4

At least the pesticides were free....!

Edited by capdagde
  • Upvote 1

I wish I could have included the Chunky Monkey's 99-baht spaghetti bolognese special of the day in the "Under 300 Baht ... And Good!" thread, but it just didn't make the grade.
What I got was tasteless sauteed ground beef dumped on top of a plate of spaghetti. There was no real sauce and no seasoning at all, Italian or otherwise.
Some pieces of onion and garlic and maybe a spoonful of tomato puree had been added to the beef, but in such a small quantity and cooked for such a short time they didn't add any flavor. The watery liquid wasn't a sauce. Even the little dish of grated Parmesan cheese from a package was flavorless.
If there were an Olympics of Blandness for restaurant food, this would be a gold medal winner. But as standard restaurant fare, it ranks no higher than mediocre. For 99 baht, I'm not expecting the best spaghetti in town, but it should at least have a proper sauce with an Italian flavor.
The Chunky Monkey (on Soi Buakhao across from Tree Town) ...
has been open about three weeks and has already established itself as one of the more popular eateries in the area. I certainly wish it well, but I hope the spaghetti bolognese will improve. I've only eaten there twice and so far the Chunky Monkey is batting 50-50 with me: one good meal, one mediocre. You can read about the good meal here (post #259).
Bottom line: The mediocre spaghetti special won't deter me from returning to the Chunky Monkey.
Evil

I had the full priced spaghetti and it wasn't to my taste either... back to the Soi Diana spaghetti cart...

IMG_20181019_200727242-spaget.jpg.443b82

I haven't had much luck at the Chunky Monkey. I tried the 99-baht daily special yesterday- chicken rissoles with onion gravy and mashed potatoes- and it was as bland as, well, unseasoned chicken.
 IMG_0105.jpg.4da0a44a82a8edfc01372081c4a
 The only flavor came from the thick, glutenous package gravy to which a few bits of onion had been added. The chicken patty itself was totally lacking in any sort of seasoning and consequently, no taste either.
IMG_0108.jpg.06e8859cc320984c2e3732cc65f

On the plus side, the mash was good and the patty had been cooked properly. It wasn't dry inside, but it had an extremely smooth texture, though, which gave it a weird mouth feel. The rissoles would have been much helped by the addition of diced onion, garlic, carrot, green pepper, whatever, but most of all it needed herbs or spices.

There are dozens of variations to Australian-style rissoles. There's no one right recipe, but there is a wrong way. I scraped off the icky gravy and gave the rissoles a few splashes of HP Sauce from the condiment basket. That improved them, but it didn't make them good.

IMG_0109a.jpg.bfec97015f558178436890af77

Bottom line: The Chunky Monkey now has two strikes against it in my book. In the near future, I'll try either the Sunday roast or the meatloaf dinner. A third strike will put it out for me as a dining option for quite awhile.

That's unfortunate, as it has a convenient location and an enclosed air-conditioned dining area. It's well-lit, clean and spacious, with the background music played at a blessedly low volume and friendly service. Not many budget restaurants in Pattaya tick all those boxes.

The prices for bottled beer are very low (55 baht for Leo and Chang, 65 baht for SML) and big bottles cost 79 baht. Perhaps that will be enough to attract customers who aren't concerned about bland food. However, the cocktail van across the street could give it a run for the money.

IMG_0111.jpg.2d8540385c8326fe5ed58c7502e

IMG_0116.jpg.c8912ea9833ea34d8a2218d8072

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to Steak 9 Rai on Third Road last night at about 9.30 p.m. to have a steak. Unfortunately, the beef steak for 139 baht and the T-bone steak (300 g) for 229 baht were both finished. Considering the restaurant is open between 4 p.m. and 1.00 a.m., it seemed a bit early to run out of beef, but maybe they were busy earlier in the evening. There were six other diners when I arrived.

Anyway, the waitress recommended I take the chicken steak for 85 baht.

Untitled-2.jpg.cd7989e0477bce23a55f35359

I wasn't thrilled but I went ahead with the chicken. This is what I got: a good-sized piece of chicken breast fillet; a handful of industrial crinkle-cut fries; a mound of salad, mostly lettuce; and a tiny bowl of stone-cold generic gravy from a packet.

IMG_0045.jpg.b6072436574402cb6cbfe46dbf3

The fries were hard, dry and room temperature. They had obviously been sitting for awhile. The gravy was straight from the refrigerator. The salad was fresh, but had been covered with bottled Thousand Island dressing, much I dislike.

IMG_0050.jpg.6dae42b41f2786130ea33bae75d

The chicken was tender, but overcooked and totally lacked any sort of seasoning. even salt or pepper. The liquid on the plate in the photo below is from the Maggi sauce bottle in the condiment basket. I had doused the fillet to give it some taste.

IMG_0053.jpg.c9557276bb004f2d28c60f29a2b

A bland grilled chicken fillet is good as a low-calorie source of lean protein, but not much of an eating experience. I finished the fillet and left the fries and most of the salad.

IMG_0056.jpg.cec535e0bcdff67232a055a8409

The worst part of the meal was crossing Third Road. Even at that hour it was busy and I had to wait a long time for a break in the traffic both coming and going to Steak 9 Rai. Crossing Second Road is bad enough, but Third Road is a nightmare due to cars, motorcycles, trucks and buses zooming along at a higher rate of speed.

Bottom line: Steak 9 Rai is regarded fondly by resident ex-pats for its inexpensive but good quality beef. I've also had good pork chops and fish fillets there and have written positive reviews of them. That said, last night's chicken steak was a disappointment.

Once I summon sufficient courage to attempt to cross Third Road again, I will go back to Steak 9 Rai for the beef. But it's a bit of a Catch-22 situation for me. The best chance of getting a steak is between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., but that's also when Third Road is busiest.

Evil

Trivia: In one of those unintentionally humorous transcription errors, Steak 9 Rai has become Steak 9 Rat in the blurb for free WiFi on the cover of the menu.

Untitled-0.jpg.cc754583c30eb30e9c71405e2

And in case anyone is unfamiliar with the location, here's a map:

Capturea.jpg.5a8ff65dd954e89bb01daca45d4

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 2

Perhaps the Cairo solution is required, use a taxi to get across the road!

Thanks for the report.