Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

English is a strange language. It is considered a Gernamic language but having studied German in high school and college (I am the oldest and my mother was German - work it out) I can say that German is a very structured language but a pain in the ass to memorize the article "the" preceeding a noun. Der, die and das. Nouns are masculine, feminine or neuter. It gets worse beyond that. Accusative case. Dative case and so on.

:ahhgg:

I will take I before E any day.

'i' before 'e' except after tea.

1. Avoid alliteration. Always.

2. Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.

3. Avoid cliches like the plague. (They're old hat.)

4. Employ the vernacular.

5. Eschew ampersands & abbreviations, etc.

6. Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are unnecessary.

7. It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.

8. Contractions aren't necessary.

9. Foreign words and phrases are not apropos.

10. One should never generalise.

11. Eliminate quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson once said: ``I hate quotations. Tell

me what you know.''

12. Comparisons are as bad as cliches.

13. Don't be redundant; don't more use words than necessary; it's highly superfluous.

14. Profanity sucks.

15. Be more or less specific.

16. Understatement is always best.

17. Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.

18. One-word sentences? Eliminate.

19.Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.

20. The passive voice is to be avoided.

21. Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms.

22. Even if a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed.

23. Who needs rhetorical questions?

• Upvote 3

An old favourite...........Punctuate...

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher

This one loses me even when I see the explanation..........(Thai translation could get you arrested).

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Edited by atlas2

English is a strange language. It is considered a Gernamic language but having studied German in high school and college (I am the oldest and my mother was German - work it out) I can say that German is a very structured language but a pain in the ass to memorize the article "the" preceeding a noun. Der, die and das. Nouns are masculine, feminine or neuter. It gets worse beyond that. Accusative case. Dative case and so on.

:ahhgg:

I will take I before E any day.

As one of my fellow students in my freshman German class said, "How many fucking ways are there to say 'the' in this language??" :wacko:

It's what English would have looked like if it hadn't been bombarded by French.

As one of my fellow students in my freshman German class said, "How many fucking ways are there to say 'the' in this language??" :wacko:

It's what English would have looked like if it hadn't been bombarded by French.

So true. A German teacher once told us, When a cow is in the field in England or America it is German (Kuh). When it's on the table it's French (Boeuf).

Your friend was dead nuts on with his comment.

Vocabulary tests were very complicated.

One thing that I have realised about English is that it is just as tonal as Thai. The entire sense of a word or sentence can alter on the curl of a lip, twich of an eye and by raising or lowering the volume or accentuation.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that I have realised about English is that it is just as tonal as Thai. The entire sense of a word or sentence can alter on the curl of a lip, twich of an eye and by raising or lowering the volume or accentuation.

That's' actually intonation, not tone. As in the difference between Really?? Really!! and Really.

An old favourite...........Punctuate...

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher

This one loses me even when I see the explanation..........(Thai translation could get you arrested).

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

A2, I stole your punctuate and added it too my coffee mug I have posted elsewhere. Just received below:

My kids gave me a coffee mug that says “Let’s eat Grandma” - for Mothers Day.

Punctuation is important.

Edited by BigusDicus
  • 2 weeks later...