Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 247 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Do you Book direct or through a Travel Agent?

Often asked and perhaps covered elsewhere, but following on from a reply to BigD from Jacko regarding Expedia, I thought I'd ask and give an account of my experiences. I've done a couple of lists, they do of course overlap each other.

These days I prefer to book direct with the Airline. The pro's and con's listed below (feel free to disagree):

Direct to Airline:

Pro's

Instant ticketing.

Instant seat selection (optional with some depending upon cabin class or pre payment)

Instant and immediate flight status reports

Direct comms to the Airline themselves should there be a problem or changes needed (biggest plus IMO)

Mileage accrual / potential upgrade (again not commonplace these days).

Con's

Higher prices.

Sometimes less weight allowance

often no discounted "options" such as Hotel stays (We used to get 2 free nights at the Manila hotel with our old TA)

Travel Agent

Pro's

Cheaper ticketing often with more date options.

Frequent additional weight allowance

Sometimes 24/7 dedicated helpline (not always).

Additional "perks" - free seat selection or discounted parking / car hire.

Many TA's allow booking through a "cashback" site like Quidco (We got £120 back on our last trip which basically gave us free airport parking and a decent meal out!).

Cons

If you have a problem or need an upgrade, the airline will always refer you back to the TA who, in many cases are not bothered as they have already had their money.

Seat selection not always available direct.

More bloody booking references to deal with.

Perhaps I'm too inflexible to go through a TA these days. Saying that our last trip was booked with AMEX, so we got points and cashback via quidco (or topcashback - can't recall as Mrs Butch did it). We did save a lot of money by going through them, but it was through gritted teeth. Ever since we were stranded in Manila during the Volcanic Ash Cloud and BA did nothing to help us ( but Cathay Pacific did everything they could) I have insisted on going direct with the airlines.

I think I was most annoyed in the past when the airline just refer you back to the TA, I ended up in a game of ping pong with one TA in London as they mis spelled a name on the ticket. (Note, NEVER use Crystal Travel in London).

When we book Thailand I pretty much always go direct to EVA, it is just so much easier to do it online and the prices are not too much different, often a matter of £20 or so. Same for the Philippines, direct to Cathay, even though we saved a chunk of money this time, it has still not endeared me to using a TA in the future.

Edited by Butch
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I've booked with Travel Trolley once I've got the Qatar reference number I just log into my booking with Qatar and picked our seats without any problems... Same with the other agencies I've used.

I've used Travel Trolley twice with no problems what so ever....

Often asked and perhaps covered elsewhere, but following on from a reply to BigD from Jacko regarding Expedia, I thought I'd ask and give an account of my experiences. I've done a couple of lists, the

I use a mixture of both and use Cashback links before making my actual booking . I do plenty of researching the options before doing the actual booking.

My October trip was booked using Traveltrolley via a cashback link, but my internal flights in Thailand was via Thai Airways and Bangkok Airways websites.

I use a mixture of both and use Cashback links before making my actual booking . I do plenty of researching the options before doing the actual booking.

My October trip was booked using Traveltrolley via a cashback link, but my internal flights in Thailand was via Thai Airways and Bangkok Airways websites.

Yes, forgot internal flights. Always direct through the airline

I usually just use the travel search engines to look for good deals and then I check with the airline directly. if the prices are the same or not too much different, I usually try to book with the airline directly. That way, it's easier to make changes, if need be.

Last two trips I booked KAL with a decent price but it included two 50lb bags/boxes....this is huge to some travelers but useless to me.

I would gladly travel with carry on only if the savings were significant...that weight allowance has to have value to the airline.

I usually just use the travel search engines to look for good deals and then I check with the airline directly. if the prices are the same or not too much different, I usually try to book with the airline directly. That way, it's easier to make changes, if need be.

I've had no problems booking via an agent, and no problems for things like seat selection......

Last year my daughter was due to fly to Thailand to spend 2 weeks gaining work experience at a maternity hospital in Phitsanulok. She is currently doing a midwifery degree. Sadly the placement got cancelled 10 days before her flight..... Her flight tickets with Etihad were "non-refundable" cheapies..... the travel agent she booked with obtained a full refund for her, she would not have got that if she'd booked directly with Etihad.

Edited by TheFiend

I've had no problems booking via an agent, and no problems for things like seat selection......

Last year my daughter was due to fly to Thailand to spend 2 weeks gaining work experience at a maternity hospital in Phitsanulok. She is currently doing a midwifery degree. Sadly the placement got cancelled 10 days before her flight..... Her flight tickets with Etihad were "non-refundable" cheapies..... the travel agent she booked with obtained a full refund for her, she would have got that if she'd booked directly with Etihad.

I think you left a "not" out of your last sentence.

Even when I book directly through an airline and I book discounted but not non-refundable, they usually still charge me for cancelling. That's cool. The airlines I have booked with make it clear up front.

Edited by midlifecrisis

Have used Expedia many times sometimes they can be just as expensive as the airlines and cheaper other times, never had any problems with Expedia over the years, best thing is i can exchange my Sainsbury's Nectar points for cash voucher up to £100 pound to use towards my next flight, cheapest Bangkok flight i have had cost me just £280 with my £100 voucher off.

Last two trips I booked KAL with a decent price but it included two 50lb bags/boxes....this is huge to some travelers but useless to me.

I would gladly travel with carry on only if the savings were significant...that weight allowance has to have value to the airline.

I'm getting ready to go to Thailand for an extended period, so I'll take two 50 lb. bags and a carry on. I might as well take advantage of the baggage allowance, even though I usually hat dragging around a bunch of luggage. I thought about sending more, but the cost for excess baggage seems ridiculous. Something like $430 for one extra suitcase from the USA. Does that sound right? For that much, I can buy a lot of T-shirts and blue jeans in Thailand.

I'm getting ready to go to Thailand for an extended period, so I'll take two 50 lb. bags and a carry on. I might as well take advantage of the baggage allowance, even though I usually hat dragging around a bunch of luggage. I thought about sending more, but the cost for excess baggage seems ridiculous. Something like $430 for one extra suitcase from the USA. Does that sound right? For that much, I can buy a lot of T-shirts and blue jeans in Thailand.

Yes, don't want to lose out on something I paid for, so I always pack some bricks to get me up to the weight limit. :D

A couple of things, I wasn't talking about a Travel Agent, ie that shop on the High st which is really superfluous these days, but some like that personal touch. They also makes things easier if you are not computer literate or don't even have one at home. I meant the Expedia, Lastminute, Airticket.co.uk etc shops.

I have had a couple of aggravations with them, once I booked a short ex-UK flight, and grabbed at the cheaper price via an online agent, when I got to the airport I realized it was a budget carrier, and check-in baggage wasn't included. They gouged me for the case. I hate having a lot of carry on, I ain't dragging 10-15 kgs 2 miles from lounge to gate and through security. Another incident was Expedia Thailand, I booked to UK Biz Class and got a good deal on Finn Air. Sadly, there was a death in the family when I was there and I had to cancel the return leg. Rescheduling had quite a cost to it and I really didn't know when to reschedule for. The way they fucxed with me (I think I always got to be connected to India when phoning them, Expedia UK, not interested, Finn Air, same). On the phone for hours, repeating the same shit, supplying documentation, them not calling back, going in circles, being lied to, was infuriating. It was 3 months later I got a refund. It was nearly 40,000 baht so worth chasing, even the UK taxes alone were worth chasing. Why the hell should they keep them!

I believe I only got it because I started hassling Finn Air, who of course originally pointed me back at Expedia.

I promised myself, never again. Always booking directly with the carrier for long haul from then on.

Come this year, summer ticket prices ex Thailand Biz to UK are through the roof, and I couldn't come close, a saving of 30,000 baht is not to be ignored!

I get Expedia points and BA Avios, there is nobody likely to die in the UK, I am next in line! Hopefully all will go well.

I suggest looking for good prices on Skyscanner, and seeing if the Carrier will match them. I have done a few trips to Bali with Expedia too without issue, but could find better flight timings and prices directly with Malaysian Airlines. So Expedia got me the hotel deal.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

The airline website. If I flew infrequently and had zero status in an airline flyer program, I would probably use search engines for cheapest flights.

Always book EVA direct. Annoying that they don't offer seat selection until after you have paid and received confirmation. Other airlines I've used allow seat selection before completing the transaction. Since I need an aisle seat I have to call EVA before I book to make sure any are available. Still, in my experience a terrific airline.

I use airlines direct. Yes it may cost slightly more, but if i need to change a flight (and it has happed several times) its easier to deal with them than an agent, especially if the agent is half way around the world, and isnt really interested...

This is one of those Catch 22 questions. Here has been my experience for the last few years.

I would book direct whenever I could but as you may be aware the Flight Centre has a 'Best price' policy. I spend a few days trawling the internet looking for the best deals and then copy and paste to my agent. They have never turned down a potential booking.

The bottom line is therefore:

• I get what I believe to be the best price.
  • I have a real person to talk to if I need advice or if there is a screw up.
  • Because I am a regular booker they havnt invoked the 1.5% credit card fee.This is important as I use Platinum card travel insurance.
  • This outfit is the only one to have an office at my international airport and when things got pear shaped this is a blessing.
  • Bit of a stretch but I am a real person at my agents rather than a number in Internetland.

I really have no reason to do otherwise and would be happy for someone to tell me where I can get a better deal.

EVA the price you see is what you pay no agency fees or CC surcharges,and leaving from Amsterdam I can check in and download the boarding pass to my phone.I binned my printer, so if you get an Epson printer you can't use cheap ink cartridges as it blocks up the heads just so you know.

I've started booking all my flights usually with the airline direct because of one reason only. (Most flights I take these days are short haul European flights).

When using sites such as Kayak or Skyscanner, the cheap prices are always good to see, but these cheapo fares never include baggage on the cost total. So to make sure I get a flight with the baggage included into the final cost, I find it easier to go direct and use the airline website, and generally there are almost the same prize as on booking sites, and sometimes even cheaper. If I hadn't used the airline direct on some of my flights, I would never have seen business class fares CHEAPER than economy fares on the same flight!!!!

I've started booking all my flights usually with the airline direct because of one reason only. (Most flights I take these days are short haul European flights).

When using sites such as Kayak or Skyscanner, the cheap prices are always good to see, but these cheapo fares NEVER include baggage on the cost total. So to make sure I get a flight with the baggage included into the final cost,

I've highlighted one word. Have never seen or booked a fare from skyscanner (which powers travel supermarket as well) which doesnt include baggage. Never once on international flights london to bangkok

Acknowledge you mention short haul european flights as well

Edited by Rawhide2

I've highlighted one word. Have never seen or booked a fare from skyscanner (which powers travel supermarket as well) which doesnt include baggage. Never once on international flights london to bangkok

Acknowledge you mention short haul european flights as well

Yeah, never had problems with flights to BKK and other places, but short haul fights to Europe, these fares never include baggage.

Usually I book through an agent. I use Skyscanner and then I'll use whichever agent is selling the ticket for my preferred flight. However, the last two times I've been to Thailand I have booked direct from the airline because I wanted to by a ticket that was changeable because I wasn't sure when the return flight would be.

Edited by Siam Sam