Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Do you Book direct or through a Travel Agent?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I've booked with Travel Trolley once I've got the Qatar reference number I just log into my booking with Qatar and picked our seats without any problems... Same with the other agencies I've used.

I've used Travel Trolley twice with no problems what so ever....

Often asked and perhaps covered elsewhere, but following on from a reply to BigD from Jacko regarding Expedia, I thought I'd ask and give an account of my experiences. I've done a couple of lists, the

booked twice through sky scanner both time they have included 30kgs of luggage with Quatar airways and never had a problem ...Ian

I've started booking all my flights usually with the airline direct because of one reason only. (Most flights I take these days are short haul European flights).

When using sites such as Kayak or Skyscanner, the cheap prices are always good to see, but these cheapo fares never include baggage on the cost total. So to make sure I get a flight with the baggage included into the final cost, I find it easier to go direct and use the airline website, and generally there are almost the same prize as on booking sites, and sometimes even cheaper. If I hadn't used the airline direct on some of my flights, I would never have seen business class fares CHEAPER than economy fares on the same flight!!!!

booked twice through sky scanner both time they have included 30kgs of luggage with Quatar airways and never had a problem ...Ian

Im not saying on long haul fights that there is a problem.

If you read my first post, I stated short haul European flights!!

Just booked through skyscanner for January from manchester £372 return same flights same airline with west east travel £544 ouch

With Skyscanner you actually don't book with them, they are a scraper and just present the bookings other agents, and the airlines put out there. So you may also want to tell us who Skyscanner passed you off to.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

Im not saying on long haul fights that there is a problem.

If you read my first post, I stated short haul European flights!!

I don't think we have any budget carriers doing that long haul so not much chance of being presented with a carrier that does not include baggage. Actually that made me wonder, if there is a connecting hop with a cheapo carrier, will that hop include the same baggage allowance as the next long haul.. say if I took Ryan Air to Frankfurt to get on a Lufthansa to BKK?

We switched carriers on our last trip to Manila, basically the rules were that despite BA having a hand carry policy different to everyone else, we would still have to observe Cathays policy on it as they were the final carrier to destination ex HKG.

Reading the small print, the same “apparently” applied with regards to the outgoing carrier when it came to checked bags, so if BA offered 40kg and Cathay 25, we might have to pay excess. Never had it happen though, but I guess they need to cover themselves.

I might be wrong though , as that is purely my take on it, probably best to ask the airlines direct.

With companies such as Travel Trolley are you able to book your favoured seat or after completion of the booking and gaining your Amadeus? reference number do you then phone the airline direct and get them to reserve your seat?

TIA

ticketstoworld.co.uk is who i've booked through

With Skyscanner you actually don't book with them, they are a scraper and just present the bookings other agents, and the airlines put out there. So you may also want to tell us who Skyscanner passed you off to.

I've just booked through Skyscanner for three weeks end of January. £452 with Eva Air which is a great deal. The actual agent that sold me the ticket was Sumo Travel who I'd not heard of before but at that price I don't care. Roll on January 22nd.............

With companies such as Travel Trolley are you able to book your favoured seat or after completion of the booking and gaining your Amadeus? reference number do you then phone the airline direct and get them to reserve your seat?

TIA

When I've booked with Travel Trolley once I've got the Qatar reference number I just log into my booking with Qatar and picked our seats without any problems... Same with the other agencies I've used.

• Upvote 2

BA require you to pay to select the seats... probably depending on the booking class. I could log into my BA booking and book a seat free within 24hrs of the flight, and pre-check-in. I did, and there wasn't a single alternative seat open!

Edited by jacko

BA require you to pay to select the seats... probably depending on the booking class. I could log into my BA booking and book a seat within 24hrs of the flight, and pre-check-in. I did, and there wasn't a single alternative seat open!

I stopped flying with Emirates when they started charging for selecting seats ahead of check-in on the "el cheapo" fares. As long as Qatar keep that option I'll stick to flying with them....

On my recent trip, I booked direct with Emirates, and to my delight was upgraded to Business Class on all 4 legs.

Not sure how I wangled that, but it was the first time I booked direct through the Airline.

• Upvote 1

On my recent trip, I booked direct with Emirates, and to my delight was upgraded to Business Class on all 4 legs.

Not sure how I wangled that, but it was the first time I booked direct through the Airline.

Love your avatar. Get out of fifth place this week please.

In all my years of flying I have only been upgraded once and I even ask. If there is a magic formula I am sure we all wish we knew it. And if people know please stop bogarting. hehe

If VAR was in play, we'd still be at the top of the league.

My theory to the upgrades were;

1. Single Traveler

2. Smartly Dressed

3. Full Economy Class / Not so full Business Class

4. Member of Airlines Rewards Scheme

5. Handsum Man

The trouble with the upgrades is I don't think I can ever go back to Economy .I've had my head turned.

• Upvote 1

If VAR was in play, we'd still be at the top of the league.

My theory to the upgrades were;

1. Single Traveler

2. Smartly Dressed

3. Full Economy Class / Not so full Business Class

4. Member of Airlines Rewards Scheme

5. Handsum Man

The trouble with the upgrades is I don't think I can ever go back to Economy .I've had my head turned.

I may make fewer trips but I now only fly business class. I spoil easily.

:chogdee2

I'll tell you how to get upgrades but you run the very real risk of ending up in the seat you picked yourself online lol

Check in online and pick an inside seat neither aisle or window and again this only works on busy flights.

Ensuring you're dressed nicely make sure you're one of the last to get to the final gate for final checking (obviously not too late)

Now comes the bit that I can manage easily but some may not.

With an open palms expression smiling nicely but somewhat quizzical you say to the gate crew with that quizzical look "can you just check that seat assignment I chose aisle at online check in yesterday but the guy in the queue here has just said he thinks that an inside seat" ??. "I certainly didnt choose that because I need to use the toilet frequently"

....and you shut up do not speak whatsover. !!

They'll check what aisle seats are left (none) and make a decision at that point. Upgrade you or you sit in that seat you choose lol

50/50 I have found over the years but you gotta be smart, proper shoes etc etc.

Try it lol works on any airline BUT you run that risk of sitting in the seat you choose yourself

Premium economy is a gateway drug for this.

My old beat up body can't handle anything but business class now. I flew business class the first time as a milage upgrade from many premium economy trips. So maybe milage was my gateway drug. They sure did hook me.

I presume your flight was from Manchester ? and as you had status with Emirates ie (gold) you were upgraded ?

What status did you have ?

Manchester has one of the largest number of status members on the whole Emirates network ?

I presume your flight was from Manchester ? and as you had status with Emirates ie (gold) you were upgraded ?

What status did you have ?

Manchester has one of the largest number of status members on the whole Emirates network ?

Yes my flight was from Manchester.

I had only traveled with Emirates on one previous occasion, and was at the lowest status level (Blue)

I also have basic status with Lufthansa & Etihad, however I think the key is to book direct through the airline rather than a bucket shop

Yes my flight was from Manchester.

I had only traveled with Emirates on one previous occasion, and was at the lowest status level (Blue)

I also have basic status with Lufthansa & Etihad, however I think the key is to book direct through the airline rather than a bucket shop

On average Emirates have the following on all of the three daily flights in Economy with 'status' :-

Gold 5

Silver 35

Unless of course your economy ticket was a Flex Plus ticket ?