Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Do you Book direct or through a Travel Agent?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I've booked with Travel Trolley once I've got the Qatar reference number I just log into my booking with Qatar and picked our seats without any problems... Same with the other agencies I've used.

I've used Travel Trolley twice with no problems what so ever....

Often asked and perhaps covered elsewhere, but following on from a reply to BigD from Jacko regarding Expedia, I thought I'd ask and give an account of my experiences. I've done a couple of lists, the

I am now looking to book my flight to Thailand at the end of October and these online agents offer great prices, however, I put a few agents names into Trustpilot and many customers are not happy with the service they get. Mainly that a fare is no longer available but a higher priced one is.

I know that Travel Trolley come out better than most, also there are two sides to every story and I am sure sometimes the customer is out of order.

One interesting deal I did come across was BA Business class LHR-BKK rtn, £1761 direct with the airline which is an excellent Business fare but BA these days are not the airline they once were.

When I was looking in June to fly out in January I saw some great prices but when I reviewed the online agents without exception they had dire reviews, I booked directly with EVA

I am now looking to book my flight to Thailand at the end of October and these online agents offer great prices, however, I put a few agents names into Trustpilot and many customers are not happy with the service they get. Mainly that a fare is no longer available but a higher priced one is.

I know that Travel Trolley come out better than most, also there are two sides to every story and I am sure sometimes the customer is out of order.

One interesting deal I did come across was BA Business class LHR-BKK rtn, £1761 direct with the airline which is an excellent Business fare but BA these days are not the airline they once were.

I've used Travel Trolley twice with no problems what so ever....

• Upvote 2

Used travel trolley 5/6!times

In fact my next trip is booked again with them

Do you use cashback sites like http://www.topcashback.co.uk ??? They're paying out £9.45 cashback on long haul flight bookings(todays rate) if you click through to Travel Trolley with them.

I've had about £200 cashback this year using topcashback.co.uk....

Best deal I had was with my house insurance...... £70 cashback on a £125 building and contents policy

I have just flown BA Biz Class BKK-LHR, not very impressed with the ancient B777-200ER, or the service. Difficult to relax with people walking past catching your arm for over 12 hours. Not enough toilets. Seats are poor and cramped. It is direct which may suit many. Prices ex-UK are much cheaper and I would prefer to pay some 300 quid more and be on an Emirates A380.

Yes jacko I just do not fancy going BA Business to BKK on those old 777-200's with even older cabin crew. :)

Skyscanner just sent me an alert, Eva Air £429 direct with Sumo Travel who are ex Lee's Travel, not very good reviews but the agents are ATOL and ABTA so shouldn't go bust. When you take into account the taxes etc , Eva cannot be making much, probably relying on some expensive cargo for the flight profit. :)

I did go onto social media and asked Thai if they had any fare promotions upcoming but the answer was no. I will probably book Thai even though they are more expensive in the hope that there will be more empty seats on the aircraft with having higher fares and two flights per day to BKK.

Yes jacko I just do not fancy going BA Business to BKK on those old 777-200's with even older cabin crew. :)

Skyscanner just sent me an alert, Eva Air £429 direct with Sumo Travel who are ex Lee's Travel, not very good reviews but the agents are ATOL and ABTA so shouldn't go bust. When you take into account the taxes etc , Eva cannot be making much, probably relying on some expensive cargo for the flight profit. :)

I did go onto social media and asked Thai if they had any fare promotions upcoming but the answer was no. I will probably book Thai even though they are more expensive in the hope that there will be more empty seats on the aircraft with having higher fares and two flights per day to BKK.

Im also waiting for Thai, to "drop" their fares! , for my trip in January.

Im going in 4 weeks time with them.,I booked that in about May..I got a good deal then, when they were having one of their "promotions".

I "prefer" , to sit upstairs in economy on the A380, the fare costs more than the usual economy...but i do prefer it .

"Hopefully", they will drop their price soon, so I can book the January trip!

I also like Eva, but I much prefer the Thai flight times.

I have seen B.A. for about £460 direct for January....just dont fancy them though!!

Edited by marleyboy

marley, I have never been upstairs on the A380 economy section, is it always full or do you get the chance to spread out, I know that you have to pay the more expensive economy rate to qualify for up top. :)

I use a human travel agent with the (big) company that did our corporate travel before I retired. They have a human 24/7 emergency number which I have had to use a couple times and they performed excellently.

I change/cancel/alter flights quite a lot so I cannot imagine trying to do that online (e.g. Expedia) just to save a small agency fee which an online agency might have embedded in the fare anyway. I am always booking refundable fares so price doesn't enter the equation much. Service with the travel agent beats online with airlines where I only do online for points redemption and even then I don't mind the fee to do things on the phone.

Airline fares are the same whether online with the airline or an agent anyway other than rare occasions, where consolidators offer fares but I would never patronize them or any agency outside where I live because there is no insurance for agency insolvency, fraud etc. And consolidator fares come with more conditions than you can shake a stick at.

Hotels are almost always with the hotel site or more often by calling the reservation lines, because they offer best price guarantees anyway, and often more services like free better wifi and upgrades e.g. with Marriott/SPG/Radisson. Other than when I direct book with smaller hotels I know like RG or ones in Latin America where I deal with the owners. I would not use an agent or online with RG because they will pay a commission which could be as high as 25%.

marley, I have never been upstairs on the A380 economy section, is it always full or do you get the chance to spread out, I know that you have to pay the more expensive economy rate to qualify for up top. :)

Ive had 4 seats to myself one time, the other time, I was lucky and had 2 seats...the other 2 times, I didnt have any vacant seats next to mine....but there were a few people with more than one seat!

Its slightly less "busy" up there, the toilets dont seem to have as big a queue..plus.I get 75% mileage with them!

I realise its more expensive than "normal" economy...but I think its a little better up there..Apparently, they dont have babies up there too....so it seems a bit "quieter".

• Upvote 1

Gus I just went on Thai web-site..!!!!

The fares have gone down!! (well for my trip in January anyway!)

Upstairs economy is £623

"normal" economy is £529

Probably be a few quid less if booking with West East or similar too!

May well book it tonight.

Gus I just went on Thai web-site..!!!!

The fares have gone down!! (well for my trip in January anyway!)

Upstairs economy is £623

"normal" economy is £529

Probably be a few quid less if booking with West East or similar too!

May well book it tonight.

Been a long time since Weateast were remotely competative. Stick your suggested dates up here ??

Cheers marley

For this year still £577, for February £529, but I will be going this year for 7 weeks so I have to see how much is left in the pot at Christmas before I consider next years trip. :)

Well I booked for my January trip, via Thais web-site last night.

I paid £623.....Managed to book, one of the best seats too!

I normally have an aisle seat, as Im always going for a pee, and like to walk around etc. But in the upstairs economy section on the A380, the window seats have a big "pocket" , by the window, where you can put your gear. Also the seat i booked is a bulk-head seat, so no seas in front....means its easy for me to keep getting in and out of my seat!

Of course, it would be even better, if the seat next to me is empty!

Its a big Birthday for me in 2020........so I want to "treat" myself and go business class...................Wiill have to wait and see about that though!

• Upvote 1

Well I booked for my January trip, via Thais web-site last night.

I paid £623.....Managed to book, one of the best seats too!

I normally have an aisle seat, as Im always going for a pee, and like to walk around etc. But in the upstairs economy section on the A380, the window seats have a big "pocket" , by the window, where you can put your gear. Also the seat i booked is a bulk-head seat, so no seas in front....means its easy for me to keep getting in and out of my seat!

Of course, it would be even better, if the seat next to me is empty!

Its a big Birthday for me in 2020........so I want to "treat" myself and go business class...................Wiill have to wait and see about that though!

Must be early in month because second half of January is £496 dont quite see the advantage of going by Thais own website but if it gives piece of mind to some than fair enough

Must be early in month because second half of January is £496 dont quite see the advantage of going by Thais own website but if it gives piece of mind to some than fair enough

Its the end of the month Im going.

Ive been going to Thailand for about 38 years now.

Back in the day, I used bucket shops, used exchange and mart to find consolidators, phoned around dozens of travel agents etc etc etc.

The last few years, Ive also used the airlines own web-sites, Qatar as well as Thai. It does give me piece of mind , yes, plus the e-ticket is sent out instantly etc etc.

I could have flown with somebody like ie. Emirates, for about £200 cheaper, booking through various places. I am quite happy to pay what I think is a decent price.

Sure, I may have saved a few quid by booking through somebody else.

Its far easier for me, to just book via Thais own web-site.

• Upvote 1

Its the end of the month Im going.

Ive been going to Thailand for about 38 years now.

Back in the day, I used bucket shops, used exchange and mart to find consolidators, phoned around dozens of travel agents etc etc etc.

The last few years, Ive also used the airlines own web-sites, Qatar as well as Thai. It does give me piece of mind , yes, plus the e-ticket is sent out instantly etc etc.

I could have flown with somebody like ie. Emirates, for about £200 cheaper, booking through various places. I am quite happy to pay what I think is a decent price.

Sure, I may have saved a few quid by booking through somebody else.

Its far easier for me, to just book via Thais own web-site.

No that was Thai from the 16th onwards out in January not any of the ME carriers. Crystal Travel, Travel Trolley and 2 others were within £4

I have no particular loyalty to any airline. I do avoid United and Philippine Air because of really shitty service. I hate long layovers so that is always the first thing I look at. I will pay more for direct flights or short layovers. Over the years I have used a number of online agencies and never had any problems with any of them. I Google "book flights" and work through the hits.

Many years ago I used to fly courier. I don't think that even exists anymore.

I have no particular loyalty to any airline. I do avoid United and Philippine Air because of really shitty service. I hate long layovers so that is always the first thing I look at. I will pay more for direct flights or short layovers. Over the years I have used a number of online agencies and never had any problems with any of them. I Google "book flights" and work through the hits.

Many years ago I used to fly courier. I don't think that even exists anymore.

Hi Gary ,

Philippine Airlines have upped their game, they are now actually pretty good and they fly direct MNL-LHR into the UK. Decent service and a decent fleet of Aircraft. They used to be abysmal, one of the worst (possibly the worst) in SEA but in recent years they've improved.

Booking direct with them is still slightly more expensive than dealing with a TA or online TA however.

• 3 weeks later...

I have booked my flight today and have the eticket for the 30th October flight, LHR-BKK-LHR with Thai Air.

Thai web site it was £575 and Travel Trolley £471.91 so a saving of £100, Happy Days.

I have booked my flight today and have the eticket for the 30th October flight, LHR-BKK-LHR with Thai Air.

Thai web site it was £575 and Travel Trolley £471.91 so a saving of £100, Happy Days.

Did you manage to pre-select your seat with Thai?

Before I booked I called Travel Trolley on their 0208 number and TT told me that I could only book my seats after the eticket was issued.

Last night my eticket came through and now I have just called them and booked my seats, seat availability is available either through the TG web site, Expertflyer.com or Opodo so I could see availability.

I was going to use Opodo but they wanted about £14 to book specific seats.

I did speak to TT about my booking because there is no space between my given name and 'Mr' which looks like "G*****paulmr" on the Thai Air reservation system but TT told me that wasn't a problem, hoping not anyway. :)

Overall I was very pleased with my dealings with Travel trolley.

• Upvote 1