Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

New rules being enforced or just unlucky guys?.

I've been watching a few vlogers on youtube, it seems that there are a couple of new rules or laws which are either innovative ways of making some tea money. One is a 3k baht fine for riding on the rear step of a baht bus, which strikes me as pretty daft but apparently there have been some fines handed out, and the latest one is a mandatory 5k baht fine for not having an international (or Thai) license on a motorbike (and one would assume a car as well).

There certainly seems to be some truth in the matter, but standing on the rear step is just a daft reason to hand out a fine. Doubt if the driver gets fined though.

I've been watching a few vlogers on youtube, it seems that there are a couple of new rules or laws which are either innovative ways of making some tea money. One is a 3k baht fine for riding on the rear step of a baht bus, which strikes me as pretty daft but apparently there have been some fines handed out, and the latest one is a mandatory 5k baht fine for not having an international (or Thai) license on a motorbike (and one would assume a car as well).

There certainly seems to be some truth in the matter, but standing on the rear step is just a daft reason to hand out a fine. Doubt if the driver gets fined though.

There was a topic on the back step. I have done it when I thought it is safer than being surrounded by a gang of ladyboys, likely pick pockets.

They won't fine the driver. They will go for those that have money.

I am so used to having to have a DL, registration and proof of insurance that I am surprised that farangs wouldn't have required documentation for driving a motor vehicle.

I have not seen any enforcement of the no standing on back of baht buses rule. I have seen plenty of people standing on the back of baht buses and no action taken by the BiB when they go past checkpoints.

The DL licence fines could have a big impact for some, the fines will apply to Thais as well but I don't think the new rules have come into force yet. (I don't drive so have not paid too much attention to these changes).

A while back I heard that you will not be able to rent a motorcycle without the IDP. Can anyone verify that this is the case now?

I googled for rules and all I can come up with is this.

"According to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDP is not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty, which most are."

That would indicate that they are not required for most drivers.

Edited by ttk

Only ever been stopped once. Just showed my Australian licence, no problem.

Funny thing about it was, I was wearing a Thai King Pendant, that had just been given to me. When he noticed it he reached out his hand and stroked it, making soothing noises and just waved me on my way.

I am so used to having to have a DL, registration and proof of insurance that I am surprised that farangs wouldn't have required documentation for driving a motor vehicle.

The complaint is having to have it on you, and the size of the fine. Previously it might have been 400 baht or less if paid 'on the spot'.... talking thousands is pure bullshit and blatantly directed at getting money off tourists. Thais who don't have a licence won't be paying that much. Keep it in your wallet you might say, but sometimes I don't take my wallet out, especially on drinking nights, just take some cash. A civilized country would give you an opportunity to produce it within 7 days at a police station. I have already had an experience on this, I made a copy of my licence and left the original on my copier, copy is no good so noddy falang toy policeman gave me aggravation.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

The complaint is having to have it on you, and the size of the fine. Previously it might have been 400 baht or less if paid 'on the spot'.... talking thousands is pure bullshit and blatantly directed at getting money off tourists. Thais who don't have a licence won't be paying that much. Keep it in your wallet you might say, but sometimes I don't take my wallet out, especially on drinking nights, just take some cash. A civilized country would give you an opportunity to produce it within 7 days at a police station. I have already had an experience on this, I made a copy of my licence and left the original on my copier, copy is no good so noddy falang toy policeman gave me aggravation.

America is not civilized then.

I think it's about time I get my international driving licence considering I've driven in Thailand every time I've gone there without one.

Edited by Siam Sam

There was a topic on the back step. I have done it when I thought it is safer than being surrounded by a gang of ladyboys, likely pick pockets.

Perhaps, but a few years ago I saw an attempted neck chain snatch by a guy on a motorbike. His target was a young Thai guy on the back of a moving baht bus in the middle of the day coming up on Central Festival. Timing was just little off, but he didn't crash. Edited by nkped

Do they not get onto their bikes or into their autos and give chase?

Never seen them jump on a bike and give chase. They do tend to setup checkpoints at natural chokepoints (entrance to walking street, red lights, and other places where you must slow down) . They will then jump in front and grab the bike keys.

Edited by ttk

Answer to the question. Just unlucky. Almost every baht bus has someone hanging out the back. I have never seen anyone done but in Thailand it is the exception that is the rule.. Have a seat if it is possible and forget about the silly stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Take the baht bus several times a week from Pattaya Tai & Second Road; always cops there ticketing. I mostly ride standing on the back and sometimes even wave to the cops---no ticket yet...going to be hard to enforce as long as the space is available. Only way to do it is have the drivers police it and make them responsible for paying the fine---seems not very likely!

I dont use the baht bus very often....i

When I do I just take a seat! Im too "old"! to be standing on the "step"!

As regards the driving license. I just use my I.D.L. and leave it "under the seat" on the motorbike.

Been asked for the license a few times. sometimes been fined for some non existent offence Ive "commited", other times, Ive just been waved on.

In "theory", my I.D.L. license is for a car anyway!....not a motorbike , so I just go with the flow!

Ive never been a fan of the B.I.B. in Thailand, just so damn corrupt! But I suppose I just have to put up with these things if I like to go to Thailand!

It doesnt mean I agree with it in any way though!

Thinking about it? My U.K. driving license, is the "older" style (not the rip-off photo I.D. one!)...Im pretty sure , on those ones, you are allowed to ride a motor-bike up to a certain c.c. anyway?

In two years time, I will be retiring , so will spend lots more time in Thailand anyway...I think I will then get a Thai driving license.

In "theory", my I.D.L. license is for a car anyway!....not a motorbike , so I just go with the flow!

There is nothing theoretic about it. Some of the officers actually check if your licenses (both national and international) are for a motorbike as well as for a car.

Edited by Odense

Wonder if they will ever go the same way with not carrying your passport ?

Something else I've never done. :o

Wonder if they will ever go the same way with not carrying your passport ?

I don't know about others but I make a colored photocopy of my passport plus carry with me a wallet card, which is not strictly a passport but can be purchased along with a US passport.

I figure the two of them can get me as far as the hotel if need be.

Perhaps not but when I see white guys walking around in speedos, I know I have more proof of my permission to be in Thailand than many walking around. I only carry my passport for currency exchange and then it is back into the room safe.

I don't know about others but I make a colored photocopy of my passport plus carry with me a wallet card, which is not strictly a passport but can be purchased along with a US passport.

I figure the two of them can get me as far as the hotel if need be.

Perhaps not but when I see white guys walking around in speedos, I know I have more proof of my permission to be in Thailand than many walking around. I only carry my passport for currency exchange and then it is back into the room safe.

I always use my drivers license at exchange booths. They have yet to require a passport. In case they ever do, another booth is close by. Loosing a passprot would cause all kinds of headaches that I avoid by not carrying it.