Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

New rules being enforced or just unlucky guys?.

I always use my drivers license at exchange booths. They have yet to require a passport. In case they ever do, another booth is close by. Loosing a passprot would cause all kinds of headaches that I avoid by not carrying it.

A great tip. In all my trips I thought I needed a passport.

Thanks!

I left mine at a currency booth once.

Fortunately no problem. But dumb.

:hithead

Passports, driving licences - it's horses for courses.

I've been stopped on the bike many times, sometimes they check if I have a valid bike licence and not just a car licence, other times as soon as they see me pull out my IDL, they just wave me away. Exchange booths, sometimes I've been asked for my passport, often I'm not. I've never been stopped on the street and asked to produce my passport.

The bottom line is you take a chance as to whether you carry each and every document all the time, or just select what you feel is right for you at the time and hope you don't get some pedantic soul who will ask for it. It's all around mitigating the risk.

KM

Passports, driving licences - it's horses for courses.

I've been stopped on the bike many times, sometimes they check if I have a valid bike licence and not just a car licence, other times as soon as they see me pull out my IDL, they just wave me away. Exchange booths, sometimes I've been asked for my passport, often I'm not. I've never been stopped on the street and asked to produce my passport.

The bottom line is you take a chance as to whether you carry each and every document all the time, or just select what you feel is right for you at the time and hope you don't get some pedantic soul who will ask for it. It's all around mitigating the risk.

KM

My understanding is that should one be asked for specific documents and one doesn't have what the official deems correct, the situation can then vary from a warning to go to the hotel and bring the required documents to the proper office or first you are taken to the office and told to go get your documents and to return.

I hesitate to mention tea money but I am sure it happens.

In all my trips I have never been hastled in any way by the Thai authorities so I have a higher opinion of them than US customs who always hastle me upon my return.

My understanding is that should one be asked for specific documents and one doesn't have what the official deems correct, the situation can then vary from a warning to go to the hotel and bring the required documents to the proper office or first you are taken to the office and told to go get your documents and to return.

I hesitate to mention tea money but I am sure it happens.

In all my trips I have never been hastled in any way by the Thai authorities so I have a higher opinion of them than US customs who always hastle me upon my return.

Well they do hassle you if you are driving and cannot produce a valid licence, be it Thai or an IDP. As to passport, if someone blathers on about carrying a laminated copy one more time, I will have the screaming ab-dabs. I have lived in Thailand 14 years and never been stopped on foot and asked to produce a passport. I was driving up near northern borders when asked at road blocks in my early years here. There are relevant passport pics in my phone, but never needed those either.

Giving the corrupt dickheads on the roads the tools to extort me of thousands because I have been absent minded is what I have issue with, when 7 year olds are driving around.

Well they do hassle you if you are driving and cannot produce a valid licence, be it Thai or an IDP. As to passport, if someone blathers on about carrying a laminated copy one more time, I will have the screaming ab-dabs. I have lived in Thailand 14 years and never been stopped on foot and asked to produce a passport. I was driving up near northern borders when asked at road blocks in my early years here. There are relevant passport pics in my phone, but never needed those either.

Giving the corrupt dickheads on the roads the tools to extort me of thousands because I have been absent minded is what I have issue with, when 7 year olds are driving around.

All I was doing was explaining what I do and asking if it is a reasonable approach or perhaps, since I don't drive there, I should carry nothing.

You need to have your passport, or at least be well advised to have it, to board a plane, to change money or to check into a hotel. At Bangkok Hospital-Pattaya, they will want to see it the first time you go there, and, possibly, if you are inpatient. When that happened, they were happy with my Thai DL. I should say that Bangkok Hospital-Rayong managed just fine a few years ago when I arrived there not under my own power and not in possession of my passport or a Thai DL. They were most appreciative of my credit card as was I.

Like Jacko, I have never been asked for my passport on the street.

Edited by nkped

The only time I carry my passport with me, is when Im changing money.

Never taken my driving license, just the I.D.L. I assume most traffic cops cant read English anyway.

I leave my license under the seat, in a plastic bag, so its always there for when the cops want to see it.

Im with others on the driving thing....You see kids driving motorbikes, some are really young...no helmets nothing! Pretty sure they dont have any license!

What I will NEVER!! understand though, is the mum/father/sister/brother etc, riding a bike one handed, carrying a babe in arms with the other arm! Madness!

The only time I carry my passport with me, is when Im changing money.

Never taken my driving license, just the I.D.L. I assume most traffic cops cant read English anyway.

I leave my license under the seat, in a plastic bag, so its always there for when the cops want to see it.

Im with others on the driving thing....You see kids driving motorbikes, some are really young...no helmets nothing! Pretty sure they dont have any license!

What I will NEVER!! understand though, is the mum/father/sister/brother etc, riding a bike one handed, carrying a babe in arms with the other arm! Madness!

Peerhaps unfairly cynical or perhaps not but I doubt the Thai police are interested in poor Thais unless something is egregious. Stopping them is not worth the time, whereas foreigners are more likely to be a better source of revenue.

Peerhaps unfairly cynical or perhaps not but I doubt the Thai police are interested in poor Thais unless something is egregious. Stopping them is not worth the time, whereas foreigners are more likely to be a better source of revenue.

I meant, the ages! of the Thais driving motor-bikes!

Ive seen kids about 9 years old riding them!

Im pretty sure, they wont have any! kind of license!

As for people holding their babes in arms, with one hand, and using just one hand to control a motor bike...how is that safe!

I dont think its cynical! I think its plain madness!

You need to have your passport, or at least be well advised to have it, to board a plane, to change money or to check into a hotel. At Bangkok Hospital-Pattaya, they will want to see it the first time you go there, and, possibly, if you are inpatient. When that happened, they were happy with my Thai DL. I should say that Bangkok Hospital-Rayong managed just fine a few years ago when I arrived there not under my own power and not in possession of my passport or a Thai DL. They were most appreciative of my credit card as was I.

Like Jacko, I have never been asked for my passport on the street.

You do not need a Passport to change money. As noted above, a TDL will suffice.

I meant, the ages! of the Thais driving motor-bikes!

Ive seen kids about 9 years old riding them!

Im pretty sure, they wont have any! kind of license!

As for people holding their babes in arms, with one hand, and using just one hand to control a motor bike...how is that safe!

I dont think its cynical! I think its plain madness!

I was not speaking of the madness. I see a lot of that and not just regarding traffic. I was only speaking of what might interest the police there. Much like in the USA where there is such a thing as a speed trap, various police agencies around the world do consider such things as revenue and bes ways to get it. In the USA, though denied by the police, there is alleged to be a quota system for writing tickets. In Thailand there is neither revenue not behavior change in ticketing poor citizens. In a town like Pattaya, farangs are the better target, especially as regards revenue.

I was not speaking of the madness. I see a lot of that and not just regarding traffic. I was only speaking of what might interest the police there. Much like in the USA where there is such a thing as a speed trap, various police agencies around the world do consider such things as revenue and bes ways to get it. In the USA, though denied by the police, there is alleged to be a quota system for writing tickets. In Thailand there is neither revenue not behavior change in ticketing poor citizens. In a town like Pattaya, farangs are the better target, especially as regards revenue.

Ah OK!

Sorry i read it wrong!

Im 100% with you saying farangs are prime targets for getting fined!

Ah OK!

Sorry i read it wrong!

Im 100% with you saying farangs are prime targets for getting fined!

No problem. My bad for not being clear.

One of the things I love about Thailand is the craziness. There is more risk than back home in my sanitized world. Crossing the street at my age is an adventure. Ten years ago I could still sprint across Second Road. A family of five on a motor scooter. A rats nest of electrical wires. A pickup bed filled with workers on their way to work. Motorcycle taxis wearing a worthless helmet. I could go on and on. I am glad my world is safer but I feel alive in Pattaya and that is largely because there is more risk.

Butch, not read the whole thread but the 5K licence fine is coming into law next year.

The 3K baht bus fine is a typical “face getting” press conference bullshit thing. Isn’t being enforced and in my opinion never will be. Same as cigarettes in bars, etc etc

• Upvote 1

Something else I've never done. :o

A friend of mine and I were up on a mountain having lunch. It is a very small scenic village with very few farangs who visit. I was surprised to see two immigration cops. I carry a copy of my passport and the latest extension stamp. I showed them my Thai drivers license and the copies. My friend did the same and they were satisfied and left. I'm sure that we were the only farangs in the village

Times I needed my passport

-- My first catch from Climax in Bangkok (now closed). I exited with her from the taxi near a checkpoint. The cops asked for passport, I showed a state DL. They gave it a glance and let us move on. So I guess I didn't need it here.

-- True Internet always needs a passport for account changes. Copies not enough

-- Buying bank drafts for embassy stuff

-- Immigration visits obviously.

Times I needed my passport

-- My first catch from Climax in Bangkok (now closed). I exited with her from the taxi near a checkpoint. The cops asked for passport, I showed a state DL. They gave it a glance and let us move on. So I guess I didn't need it here.

-- True Internet always needs a passport for account changes. Copies not enough

-- Buying bank drafts for embassy stuff

-- Immigration visits obviously.

Flying in and out of the country?

I was on a bus going to Ubon Ratchatani and immigration got on the bus and asked everyone for passports or Thai ID. They got to me still rummaging through my bag and decided they didn't really need to see my passport. Guess this lot were not looking for farang to harass.

A friend of mine and I were up on a mountain having lunch. It is a very small scenic village with very few farangs who visit. I was surprised to see two immigration cops. I carry a copy of my passport and the latest extension stamp. I showed them my Thai drivers license and the copies. My friend did the same and they were satisfied and left. I'm sure that we were the only farangs in the village

What do you think would have happened if you didn't have a copy of your passport?

Flying in and out of the country?

I've had to use mine every time I do that. It's a nuisance.

What do you think would have happened if you didn't have a copy of your passport?

I've had to use mine every time I do that. It's a nuisance.

If I had not had a passport copy, I'd have probably had to drive back home with the cops following me. I did offer. Since I live only about 8 kilometers from there it may not have been a problem. I really don't know.