Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

If the £ drops below 40 Baht, will you still come?

What about 39P? What about the $us at 29. What about... I could go on but try to equate the value of the Thai holiday with whatever is the second best. Take a big breath and answer your own question.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If you're going to Turkey and heading either into or out of Dalaman, make sure you eat or get food before getting to the airport, it cost me over £30 for 3 Mcdonalds meals. Scamming cunts.

I'm kind of debating whether to knock Thailand , or Pattaya itself on the head entirely these days. Not least having been hit for a £13k repair bill on my Hakosuka GTR, but it simply does not offer the value for what I can get anymore.

I don't monger as such, but I do like to eat at good restaurants, my last bill at Grottino's came in at £200 for 3 of us (inc some really good wine). Eating out used to be a relatively inexpensive pleasure, but with inflation and a reduced exchange rate , drinking good wine and having decent food, staying in a decent hotel all adds up.

When it gets to a point that squeezing a tit and buying an LD in a GGB hits you for £10 upwards, it does beg a question to either change my MO or give it a rest for a couple of years to allow the wheat to sort from the chaff. Don't get me wrong, I can be cheap, drinking draft and not buying LD's but that in itself diminishes the fun. When i'm in Pattaya I'm James Bond for a fortnight, rather than Joe cunt in the UK.

Edited by Butch

Not really relevant, was around 35/£ around 1983/84. Bottle of Klosters or Singha was around 30 baht in most beer bars, really only two beers available around that time. Everything goes in circles.

Regards

Edited by Fireman Sam

My wants are very simple, I have my clothes laundered a massage almost everyday shaves every other day and eat out almost all my meals, I don't drink alcohol ,dont smoke and am no longer chasing women other than the odd one now and again. The accommodation costs for some, out of the centre( I always hire a motorbike) very nice places, is very low and airfares can be had for under £400(paid £379 this year) I stayed 2 months, June/July and my total costs were under £3000, I actually took home £1200 in cash that I had budgeted for and never spent. I will continue to come as I love my summers in Thailand and will be back for 3 months next year with almost no regard for the state of either currency as its still a lower cost to me than actually staying home and I get a lot of "extras" in Pattaya

My hairdresser is Turkish by origin. He has just come back from Turkey and said that, even though the exchange rate is good, the locals want to be paid in Dollars, Pounds, Euros, or any solid currency.

Haven't been to Turkey in ages but when last I was there it was £10 notes they wanted and gave you change in LIra, you could change your £s almost anywhere and got more almost every day as inflation was horrendous back then. I also remember there was a charge to enter Turkey(£10) and that had to be paid in "hard" currency not lira. I still have a Million Lira note that I keep as a souvenir and that was worth about 90p . You would do well to look into the currency situation before you go to make sure you don't get ripped off by UK money changers as they all say no commission but give rates sometimes as much as 10% lower than the actual exchange rate you can get at your destination..

Edited by sinbinjack
  • Upvote 2

What gets me is that the dollar is supposedly strong. I look at the dollar to baht and wonder who decided that was the case.

Some idiots think a "weak" dollar is a good thing, so every time the dollar inches up a bit against the baht, the start screaming about a "strong" dollar and the damage it is doing to the US multinationals.

Some idiots think a "weak" dollar is a good thing, so every time the dollar inches up a bit against the baht, the start screaming about a "strong" dollar and the damage it is doing to the US multinationals.

A weak dollar is good if you are an American business trying to sell product abroad. So most tourists (including mongers) benefit by have a job.

A weak dollar is good if you are an American business trying to sell product abroad. So most tourists (including mongers) benefit by have a job.

Yes, to a degree, but it seems a bit silly when it gets to the point where it's a race to the bottom. I'm not sure who benefits from a currency war.