Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Motorcycle training- Pattaya

I'll start off by saying i don't have a death wish and have absolutely no intention of riding a bike in Thailand, so let's save the "dont ride" etc.

What i'm hoping to find is a school or preferably a private trainer that can be with me for a couple of hours in a private location away from traffic on a small motorbike, 125cc etc just so i can get used to the clutch/throttle relationship through repeated practice in taking off and stopping.

I know this is very basic stuff, but my lack of opportunity to do this kinf of thing where i live had me think that perhaps somewhere in Pattaya would be a suitable location just to get the hang of it prior to going to do the course at home.

I have every intention of doing the course at home but as it takes coordinating between my work roster which is all over the place and changes fortnightly and courses that fill up fast i'd rather go to the course prepared and confident of already being able to get my hands and feet working together.

Anyone know of any location or trainers who could provide what im after?

Most bikes here don't have a clutch, and are fully automatic.

Do you have a motorcycle licence in our home country?

Most bikes here don't have a clutch, and are fully automatic.

Do you have a motorcycle licence in our home country?

Nope i do not, which is why i am seeking a training centre with environment free of any road traffic to get some practice, it'd also help pass a day or two waiting for the fun to start as the sun goes down :ph34r:

As mentioned in OP, this is not so i can ride a bike in Thailand, it's purely to attempt to give myself a bit of confidence on the clutch and friction point finding on a consistent basis in preparation of doing the course at home.

The courses are hard to book when you dont really know what shifts or times you are working more than 2 weeks in advance, any failure also makes it harder again as again id need to wait for next roster and hope that theres a session available when i am..thus i'd rather go prepared for what i think will be one of the more challenging aspects for a noob.

I would just buy a cheap second hand bike and try it at home but.. i dont think my neighbours would appreciate me using the shared driveway as a practice ground and booking one on one sessions for training doesnt appear to be ab option as you need a licence or to be in a course for a licence to ride they say.

Edited by SaltyBarsted

Nope i do not, which is why i am seeking a training centre with environment free of any road traffic to get some practice, it'd also help pass a day or two waiting for the fun to start as the sun goes down :ph34r:

As mentioned in OP, this is not so i can ride a bike in Thailand, it's purely to attempt to give myself a bit of confidence on the clutch and friction point finding on a consistent basis in preparation of doing the course at home.

The courses are hard to book when you dont really know what shifts or times you are working more than 2 weeks in advance, any failure also makes it harder again as again id need to wait for next roster and hope that theres a session available when i am..thus i'd rather go prepared for what i think will be one of the more challenging aspects for a noob.

I would just buy a cheap second hand bike and try it at home but.. i dont think my neighbours would appreciate me using the shared driveway as a practice ground and booking one on one sessions for training doesnt appear to be ab option as you need a licence or to be in a course for a licence to ride they say.

Have you been to Thailand before? It is not place where they are well trained to ride bikes or even think much about it. Firstly you should have a motorcycle licence to even rent a bike, and an IDP. Also, again as stated, the most common bikes here are fully automatic, twist and go driven, so not much to be learned from them. The learning really starts out on the roads and is fear based. :D

My best idea is to find a good LT beer bar girl who has a bike and practice in condo parking on hers, and progress to maybe riding up and down Jomtiem Beach Rd to build confidence.

It's funny I was heading along towards Teprayer from Pratumak and in the opposite direction I saw a five/six year old sitting on the front......(his mum behind.).......allowing the child to steer and break but presumably ready to take over. I only noticed because they wobbled round a long curve coming up towards the Big Buddha turn off.

Unremarkable.

They teach 'em young here.

Although I believe in self-teaching. (I got a Vespa when I was 16 and found a quiet mews in London to practice.......Then nearly killed myself following more advanced friends on the Marylebone Rd.....And a few years later with a full bike licence not able to afford car driving lessons got a mate's knackered Reliant Robin three wheeler and drove around the outer circle at Regent's Park from 4 am until about 6 am....Job done)

However I'd forget trying to learn from scratch here........Especially if it's a new trick and you're an old dog.

Pattaya is a 100 times more dangerous than London was in the 60's. You might be fine but even a minor injury could be expensive, (insurance won't cover you) and spoil your holiday.

However inconvenient, have some lessons at home. Get some experience (preferably a full-licence too) before you come. Get an automatic while you're here and take it steady...Learning to look defensively in all four directions on one way streets and avoid standing water.

Edited by atlas2

Keep in mind travel insurance might not cover motorcycle or scooter incidents and won't for sure if someone is unlicensed. Even in a school setting they would be racing to the "no" button.

Keep in mind travel insurance might not cover motorcycle or scooter incidents and won't for sure if someone is unlicensed. Even in a school setting they would be racing to the "no" button.

Coincidentally wifey's nephew in hospital right now after a motorcycle accident this morning hurrying to school. Has a head injury... ....not wearing a helmet of course.

Alright folks, it seems there is selective reading and presumption taking place.

I've stated i intend to leave the rider training to the professionals at home.

I've stated the intention was purely for practice in finding the friction point on the clutch and getting take offs out of the way as i believe this will be something that without prior experience will make a crash course at home more difficult than it need be, you cannot book private lessons here until you do the course, you cannot legally practice anywhere other than private property until youve done the course, doing it in my driveway is not possible as i live in a city and its a shared driveway, doing the course several times in order to get said practice would be required to be spread over many months due to work/courses booked out and waiting for the stars to align.

I've stated it'd ideally be an enclosed area away from traffic.

The only area that i did not clarify was the stopping part, as in take off go about 5-10m and stop, not as in get up a head of steam and slam the rear brakes on while pulling the handle bars as far left as possible.

So IDP etc really doesn't come into it as it would be a training center, foreigners can get a license in Thailand on a tourist visa you know...again this is NOT my intention, once more..i have NO intention of riding further than that 5-10m of friction point, take off, stop.

Travel insurance well, i mean i'm semi uncoordinated but i know don't believe i am that uncoordinated that i'd be flipping a bike onto myself and breaking a leg while repetitively finding that friction point so again absolute minimal chance of requiring treatment.

It seems no one has an idea of who may be able to provide said training so i will use more googlefu to save any more presumptuous folk commenting without actually reading.

Thank you.

Edited by SaltyBarsted

Alright folks, it seems there is selective reading and presumption taking place.

I've stated i intend to leave the rider training to the professionals at home.

I've stated the intention was purely for practice in finding the friction point on the clutch and getting take offs out of the way as i believe this will be something that without prior experience will make a crash course at home more difficult than it need be, you cannot book private lessons here until you do the course, you cannot legally practice anywhere other than private property until youve done the course, doing it in my driveway is not possible as i live in a city and its a shared driveway, doing the course several times in order to get said practice would be required to be spread over many months due to work/courses booked out and waiting for the stars to align.

I've stated it'd ideally be an enclosed area away from traffic.

The only area that i did not clarify was the stopping part, as in take off go about 5-10m and stop, not as in get up a head of steam and slam the rear brakes on while pulling the handle bars as far left as possible.

So IDP etc really doesn't come into it as it would be a training center, foreigners can get a license in Thailand on a tourist visa you know...again this is NOT my intention, once more..i have NO intention of riding further than that 5-10m of friction point, take off, stop.

Travel insurance well, i mean i'm semi uncoordinated but i know don't believe i am that uncoordinated that i'd be flipping a bike onto myself and breaking a leg while repetitively finding that friction point so again absolute minimal chance of requiring treatment.

It seems no one has an idea of who may be able to provide said training so i will use more googlefu to save any more presumptuous folk commenting without actually reading.

Thank you.

Actually I believe you need a Non-Imm Visa to get a Thai driving licence.

Many a person goes ass over tit first time on a motorbike.... it's a right of passage.

You appear to know it all so I shan't waste my or your time further!

Later Edit: A residence certificate from immigration is actually what is needed. A thread here details both to a degee but more focused on a 5 year renewal.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 3

How long do you think it would take you to be bored riding in short 5-10 metre spurts? As previously mentioned most bikes in Thailand are stop and go bikes, so no clutch bite point. All vehicles - bikes and cars - have different bite points, but roughly around the same point. You will not spend days trying to get used to a bite point. If doing a proper training course, it is designed to take you through that issue with a patient, experienced trainer. If you want to get ahead of the game, learn all the theory.

You haven't said what your home country is and your profile says Afghanistan, but I'm presuming that is incorrect.

You asked for advice, but then rebutted advice given to you because it doesn't match what you want to hear. Perhaps if you had been less vague with your opening post, you might have got 'better' advice. I ride all the time in the UK and ride whenever I'm in Thailand, so I know about UK training courses, but wont go into detail if you're not from the UK.

KM

• Upvote 2

Sorry I bothered with input to your thread!

On further consideration just go for it.... dont need practice, it's a piece of piss, any idiot can drive a bike ... and who needs insurance???

............Waste of money. Sure to be fine! Safest roads in the world.....Have fun!

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 1

you need a Non-Imm Visa to get a Thai driving licence.Actually I believe

Many a person goes ass over tit first time on a motorbike.... it's a right of passage.

You appear to know it all so I shan't waste my or your time further!

That's what I had been told but a lady friend said not so IF you have an IDP. Got my license two weeks ago while on a tourist visa (METV) and showing my IDP. Having the IDP also allows you to skip the hour long video guide to Thai driving. Was out of there in less than two hours.

• Upvote 1

Sorry I bothered with input to your thread!

On further consideration just go for it.... dont need practice, it's a piece of piss, any idiot can drive a bike ... and who needs insurance???

............Waste of money. Sure to be fine! Safest roads in the world.....Have fun!

I AM NOT RIDING ON A ROAD, I AM AFTER A TRAINING CENTER WHO HAVE AN ENCLOSED TRAINING SPACE, I AM NOT RIDING FURTHER THAN 5-10M, THIS IS CLUTCH/THROTTLE FRICTION POINT PRACTICE.

IF YOUD TAKEN THE TIME TO READ RATHER THAN JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS YOUD HAVE KNOWN THAT.

I HOPE THE CAPS MAKE IT EASIER FOR YOU TO READ.

Edited by SaltyBarsted
  • Downvote 3

How long do you think it would take you to be bored riding in short 5-10 metre spurts?

That's up to me,i'm quite capable of doing boring tasks over and over, i'd suggest i could do it for 1-2 hours solid without getting bored which is what i would be after, 1-2 days of 1-2 hours of just doing the same thing to begin to build the muscle reflex and find consistency.

Once again, not on the road, within an enclosed training center.

Thanks lads, if you hear of a farang killing themselves in a motorbike training center, pat yourselves on the back and tell yourselves you tried to save him but he wouldnt listen :lol:

Edited by SaltyBarsted

I AM NOT RIDING ON A ROAD, I AM AFTER A TRAINING CENTER WHO HAVE AN ENCLOSED TRAINING SPACE, I AM NOT RIDING FURTHER THAN 5-10M, THIS IS CLUTCH/THROTTLE FRICTION POINT PRACTICE.

IF YOUD TAKEN THE TIME TO READ RATHER THAN JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS YOUD HAVE KNOWN THAT.

Well Salty' no need to CLUTCH at your pearls......you've already got 'FRICTION' covered here.........Getting close to 'THROTTLE' too.

The advice, (at least initially), that I and others gave you was kindly meant.

Although I find a palliative power in your short-tempered bewilderment ......... I believe a sensitive re-reading by you of the help offered, especially regarding insurance matters would still be of benefit.

Good luck.

Edited by atlas2

Wow ....

You think it will take hours of repetion to learn how to use a clutch????

You never mention what will happen after the 5-10M ride.....most people would use the brakes to stop....but you never mention learning the "friction point" of the brakes. Sounds like it would be best to give up the screaming and idea to even ride a MC

If you ability to ride a Thai automatic bike is at all in question you should stay off 2 wheels and stick to four . Almost anyone can ride the small bikes if they can ride a push bike and if it takes you more than 5 minutes to get comfy on a 125 in thailand then bikes are not for you. AFAIK there are no centers like those you describe in Pattaya as no one seems to care about how well or badly riders can control their vehicles before letting them loose on the roads. Good Luck.

That's up to me,i'm quite capable of doing boring tasks over and over, i'd suggest i could do it for 1-2 hours solid without getting bored which is what i would be after, 1-2 days of 1-2 hours of just doing the same thing to begin to build the muscle reflex and find consistency.

Once again, not on the road, within an enclosed training center.

Thanks lads, if you hear of a farang killing themselves in a motorbike training center, pat yourselves on the back and tell yourselves you tried to save him but he wouldnt listen :lol:

Stop being such a drama queen. You're more likely to die of boredom riding 5-10 metres than you are of anything else.

We have tried to give you advice, based on our experiences of both Pattaya, riding bikes and life in general. You have refused all offers of advice and decided that what you want is the only thing and nothing is going to change your mind that what you are looking for is the right thing to do. So why ask for advice and then rebuff it all? Why not just ask a motorbike taxi where he learnt to ride? Ask him what he would advise? Because as sure as shit smells, you're not taking our advice and appear to be just posting as a troll to get a reaction. If that's all you're doing then don't bother, because any further outbursts of posting in capitals or throwing the advice back at the guys trying to help you will result in your posts being removed, the thread locked and potentially the loss of your ability to post.

Is that clear enough without resorting to capitals to make it easier for you to understand?

KM

• Upvote 3

Well the advise he asked for contained very clear caveats

which most seem incapable of comprehending.

Thus spawned the gripes

Although I personally think that the early replies, (at least), contained very useful information for Saltybasterd he ignored that and quickly became irritated that his specifics, which were best addressed in advice on here such as, 'Ask a bar girl with a bike for such help'..... were not exactly the answer that he wanted and therefore not good enough. Perhaps Google would have been a useful place to start.

People were trying to be helpful.

There were also comments about the oddness of the request...ie an hour-and-a-half just engaging the clutch and stopping.

I'll count myself as one that is 'incapable of comprehending' how that isn't an hour and 25 minutes of wasted time.

Perhaps you should offer him practical 'advise' .

Seems pretty clear he wanted private secure off road basic training on a 'manual' beginner m/c administered by a commercial school (presumably as a convenient, and maybe cheaper, prelude to commencing formal training in his home country).

AFAIK a very tall order in Pattaya

Edited by Regyai

Regyai's claim:

'Regyai, on 19 Sept 2018 - 4:52 PM, said:

Going off tangentially to what was written? errr not since early junior school I'm afraid.'

Out of pure curiosity I looked at Regyai's content......... Below is the 2nd post of his I viewed .......

Simplelife's simple question:

For ones I'm interested in seeing again, I'm thinking of dropping a non-melting candy in her purse the next day. Followup tends to be a good way to strengthen the impression.

Then again you don't want to look like an ATM or a pushover. I think candy is small enough that it won't encourage that.

Anyone do stuff like that? Anything good come of it?

Regyai's helpful and according to him non-tangential reply.

Probably tell all her 'bar sisters' that she has you pegged as a paedo

Edited by atlas2

LOL

So scouring my historical post and you come up with this as an example of me emulating the disjointed responses to the OP of this thread

Seriously in that instance hardly a genuine question asked - just an invitation for derision