Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Good post, I'm always interested in how the city is evolving one way or another.

As you noted, the wooden parts of the walkway are also missing more and more planks, both on the floor, and the handrails.

Central Pattaya area has a long makeshift fence as the beach is being extended

Good post and a problem that seems to be escalating. I recall attending the Fireworks competition a few months back, and walked along the beach from the Dusit to soi 6 area before sunset, it was truly disgustingly litter strewn. A stroll down 2nd Rd to Klang exhibited many piles of fly tipping. Later, sat on the Beach, even the locals were complaining how it looked, and this was before the event started. As I rode my bike through some casava fields yesterday, a snack bag flew out of a truck window to join many similar, and many much larger items by the roadside.

This will keep tourists away.

Jacko, do you ride a bicycle or a motorbike? I will be buying a bicycle after i arrive in the Pattaya-Jomtien area for retirement. For local trips, daily errands, sight seeing and a tiny bit of exercise. Anyone currently doing this? Please feel free to give me feed-back. Thank you all in advance.

Jacko, do you ride a bicycle or a motorbike? I will be buying a bicycle after i arrive in the Pattaya-Jomtien area for retirement. For local trips, daily errands, sight seeing and a tiny bit of exercise. Anyone currently doing this? Please feel free to give me feed-back. Thank you all in advance.

I have a 125 Yamaha, had it for about 11+ years now. A bicycle, no, afraid I am a bit too lazy for that. I think it is a bit dangerous for day to day getting about, and wouldn't carry enough shopping.

How do you manage with the heat ?

I sleep between 6am and 2-3pm. If riding in the late afternoon I ride with my shirt off. Most of the time I ride after sundown

I used to ride during the day including the hottest parts of the day. It's actually much better than walking due to the wind resistance. On long rides though, I would be sure to hop into a 7/11 for the AC and some water.

The real issue IMO is the rain. I hate having my bike rained on. If you see a guy sprinting down to south pattaya on a hint of drizzle it may be me. I tie mine up near the concrete circle when I want to walk beach road. I should probably just leave it under Royal Garden.

Edited by simplelife
  • Upvote 1

Great post Bazle, and an indicator of just how polluted our oceans and beaches have become in recent years.

slighty off topic, President Duterte has allowed Boracay to re open in a few weeks, and it is really clean, apparently he's given the vendors and locals a pretty stern warning to keep it clean or risk another, possibly permanent closure.

Yes Pattaya beach is as always special. i still would not get in water.

Good to hear Boracay to reopen. i would bet it stays clean

as he means what he say's it is a shame not same here

good picks off beach.

Cheers

That machine on the beach, why isn't that going up & down from dawn to (say) 09:00 every day when the beach is empty? Cleaning the surface is all very well, but you have to keep doing it as the crap below works its way up.

That would mean planning ahead I suppose, not a strong point here.

Where does it come from and how to make sure it doesn't keep happening. I was reading somewhere that the ships that pass are dumping all their garbage over the side but for this to be the cause there would have to be thousands of ships dumping garbage. There is so much of it.

Where does it come from and how to make sure it doesn't keep happening. I was reading somewhere that the ships that pass are dumping all their garbage over the side but for this to be the cause there would have to be thousands of ships dumping garbage. There is so much of it.

I don't know if it is correct but I read some years ago that a large proportion comes from Bangkok, garbage dumped into the Chao Phraya which gets washed by the tides down to Patts.