Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 244 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Anyone got any tips on reasonable holiday insurance ? Since I turned 66 years old the price has trebled .

Im looking for annual insurance, to cover me for 60 days . I have no pre-existing medical conditions.

I dont require cover for USA or Caribbean.

Last year I paid £61:00 , this year Im getting quotes for around £195:00 .

Sorry If Im posting in the wrong place admin , feel free to move .

Anyone got any tips on reasonable holiday insurance ? Since I turned 66 years old the price has trebled .

Im looking for annual insurance, to cover me for 60 days . I have no pre-existing medical conditions.

I dont require cover for USA or Caribbean.

Last year I paid £61:00 , this year Im getting quotes for around £195:00 .

Sorry If Im posting in the wrong place admin , feel free to move .

I’m looking for worldwide,annual .

Hi Surry

I always use one of those "price comparison" website which often yields half decent options. Last trip I used "Alpha insurance" which was a worldwide policy and came in 40% cheaper than anyone else.

66 yo seems to have big magic with them

I use Insure and go 'Black' (their highest level) and was going to give them the thumbs up but......

Annual Black

Cancellation £10000; Curtailment £10000; Personal Belongings and Baggage £3000; Medical Excess £Nil (subject to Double Excess or Excess
Waiver options that may have been selected); Medical Expenses £Unlimited; Repatriation £Unlimited; Hospital Benefit £2000; Delayed
Departure £650; Holiday Abandonment £10000; Hijack £1000; Missed Departure £1500; Personal Accident £75000; Personal Liability
£3000000; Accommodation Cover £1500; Legal Expenses £60000; Pet Care £750; Max days per trip 90 days (31 days if aged 66 or over);

multi x 90 day trips etc etc etc till you come to the closing brackets

Problem you have is its a small matter in the T's & C's that makes easy comparison impossible Ive had the same drama when you want to see the cover using motor cycles

Edit

Revisiting the one I found for better motorcycle cover (which I never pursued in the end) I see they are OK up to age 74yo and good for multi trips at 60 days per trip if you opt for 'Premier Plus' cover. Needless to say, you'll have to fill in the quote online to get prices

https://www.insurefor.com/annual-multi-trip-travel-insurance

Edited by Regyai

i would love to only pay 195,im72 have lots of medical conditions staysure quoted 2475,managed to get it down to about 1500 but dont think its worth it.looks like i wont be going again.

i would love to only pay 195,im72 have lots of medical conditions staysure quoted 2475,managed to get it down to about 1500 but dont think its worth it.looks like i wont be going again.

I found Insure & Go way cheaper than Staysure re the pre existings (In fact to be honest Staysure prices were a complete piss take)

Give Insure & Go a call and run through it with them, nothing ventured as they say ;)

Try MoneySuperMarket.com they should give you a cheaper quote. I'm paying £186 for my November trip to Pattaya and I'm 10 years older than you and have a couple of existing medical conditions to be covered, so you should be able to get a cheaper quote.

Try MoneySuperMarket.com they should give you a cheaper quote. I'm paying £186 for my November trip to Pattaya and I'm 10 years older than you and have a couple of existing medical conditions to be covered, so you should be able to get a cheaper quote.

£186 for a single trip!!!

Whats your pre existing condition? Ebola?

That Year policy of mine was only £102GBP + £18GBP for the pre existings

I have now passed the age where I was getting travel insurance on my Platinum card for free. Over 75 in other words. I now pay the equivalent of £75 a trip with a declaration of pre existing conditions. I also get my card half price because of my age. I claimed against the policy earlier this year and was paid in less than a week. I am quite happy with this arrangement and suggest that your banks might have a similar system and if so it could be worth checking out. I know that some people are wary of something that is free but I have paid zero dollars travel insurance for the last few years and the new system due to age doesn't bother me.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Regyai - years ago I had an insurance company which was quite cheap. Then they said they couldn't cover my pre-existing conditions because they had a new underwriter. I tried a number of different companies. Always the same story, answer lots of questions, and at the end they can't cover me. Got really fed up with this, so tried price comparison website. At least, I don't waste a lot of time on pointless questionnaires from companies who won't cover me because the very first querstion is Do you have any pre-existing medical conditions and your details are only passed on to companies who WILL cover you. Lot of time saved. Maybe there are cheaper options, but who can guarantee which companies will actually cover me? Incidentally, Butch recommended Alpaha Insurance, They went bankrupt in June of this year. I must agree, however, that in future I need to get an annual policy. Recently I've been a bit uncertain whether or not I can have multiple holidays so I've been going for single-holiday options. Now I feel more certain, and will probably have at least two holidays per year, possibly three, so that makes a lot of sense.

In all my years of frequent travelling I've never bothered with travel insurance but I think I may have to start with my next trip as it's a pretty risky business not having any and it wouldn't be fair on the missus if I was to die on my travels. I keep getting offered it with my bank accounts if I pay a small fee each month which is well worth while if you go travelling as often as I do. Does anyone do this with their own bank or does anyone know of a good deal with travel insurance for someone who goes on holiday at least three times a year? I think my bank want about £12 a month for the account that gives me travel insurance so the deal would have to be better than £144 a year.

Well personally I don't go to an insurance broker to get money and also not to a bank to get insurance. Although if it is 'free', I will have it, as in the case of credit cards that I paid for, but very much needed to exist anyhow.

Usually what keeps me away is the insurance offered is very general rather than specific, and you just know it will be taken away after a few years. For coming here I say you need good accident and health incident comprehensive coverage, with a get you home (medevac) option. Never paid for a bank account yet and see it as a bit of a hurdle.

Edited by jacko

Well personally I don't go to an insurance broker to get money and also not to a bank to get insurance. Although if it is 'free', I will have it, as in the case of credit cards that I paid for, but very much needed to exist anyhow.

Usually what keeps me away is the insurance offered is very general rather than specific, and you just know it will be taken away after a few years. For coming here I say you need good accident and health incident comprehensive coverage, with a get you home (medevac) option. Never paid for a bank account yet and see it as a bit of a hurdle.

Yes you're right Jacko, I don't know what I was thinking there as it would never be something I would even consider normally as I hate banks. They're the legalised mafia and I begrudge giving them any money at all let alone extra payments. I just felt that it might be a cheaper option for me to insure with one if I travel frequently but like you say they're probably unlikely to offer me the same level of cover as a company whose business is primarily insurance. We recently got told by one of the main high street banks in the UK we're not allowed to pay cash from our business into anything other than the business account. Why? So that they can charge us for the privilege. It's not a lot but that's not the point, it's the principle because they already make enough money out of the money we put in their bank. We've started putting it elsewhere where no questions are asked.

It pays to really check the fine print when it comes to 'pre-existing conditions' and 'coverage limitations'. I've noticed recently that one company has widened the definition to include possible conditions that might be related to a pre-existing condition. For example, they state that a diagnosis of Type II diabetes increases the chance of cardiac problems, so they won't cover you for heart related issues.

Hi surry! Long time no see.

Flo and I rely on the Travel Insurance and the Travel Assistance (two policies) included with our Visa Premier (gold) Bank Card. I got the General Conditions out to have a look.

Travel Insurance

As long as you pay for your trip or part of it with the card (we pay for the flights with it), it gives death or partial/total invalidity, holiday (cancellation, modification, interruption, baggage etc.). The maximum length of trip is 180 days.

2 cards cost about 20€ a month so it's a good deal if you are travelling a lot, which we aren't unfortunately.

Heart attack and stroke NOT COVERED (!!). Accident when drunk NOT COVERED.

310,000€ for death of assured (including trip from the airport!!!), 155,000€ if Partial Handicap caused by an accident.

Children or adopted children covered under the parent's card if unmarried and under 25.

Travel Assistance

No need to pay for the trip with the card - just have one. This insurance covers medical and medevac. (among other things). Medical fees advanced up to 155,000€. If you have a heart attack or stroke I suppose you're covered - can't see an exclusion.

No exclusions for prior conditions EXCEPT those which have required hospitalisation (even day care) in the previous 6 months.

Lots of other guarantees....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teelack is telling us the medical insurance above is only valid until age 75, so this card could fulfil your travel needs for 9 years.

I can't get the link to the UK General Conditions - "Visa Premier Insurance and Assistance" but worth a look perhaps.

We also use the card to hire cars when back in the UK (or Spain) as it also covers the excess and insurance, so you don't have to pay the extra insurance, making car hire really "cheap".

Hope this helps.

All the best

Andy Cap

Edited by capdagde

Plenty of annual multi trip policies for 60 day maximum individual trip but an unlimited number

Less than £50 for anyone under 50 years of age and mine is still under that at over 50 years of age albeit no pre existing in my case

Below have listed top premiums on "multi trips". You'll see the maximum individual trip is shorter than the 60 day one I have but it gives you a good idea

Age is for a 50 years old with no pre existing conditions

You can reduce the premiums further by reducing baggage coverage etc etc to lower limits

ins.png

Edited by Rawhide2

I have now passed the age where I was getting travel insurance on my Platinum card for free. Over 75 in other words. I now pay the equivalent of £75 a trip with a declaration of pre existing conditions. I also get my card half price because of my age. I claimed against the policy earlier this year and was paid in less than a week. I am quite happy with this arrangement and suggest that your banks might have a similar system and if so it could be worth checking out. I know that some people are wary of something that is free but I have paid zero dollars travel insurance for the last few years and the new system due to age doesn't bother me.

I also rely on the travel insurance which my Citibank Rewards credit card provides through Allianz. The T&C's are listed on a 55 page PDF I have printed (and take with me). Yet I cannot find any mention of free cover ceasing at a nominated age... Anyway, am currently 66, but your mention of 75 got me looking. Glad to hear that you had success with a claim on such a policy. Sad now you now have to pay but I guess the rate is reasonable considering there seems to be also pre-existing conditions. May I ask which insurance company provides your cover?

I also rely on the travel insurance which my Citibank Rewards credit card provides through Allianz. The T&C's are listed on a 55 page PDF I have printed (and take with me). Yet I cannot find any mention of free cover ceasing at a nominated age... Anyway, am currently 66, but your mention of 75 got me looking. Glad to hear that you had success with a claim on such a policy. Sad now you now have to pay but I guess the rate is reasonable considering there seems to be also pre-existing conditions. May I ask which insurance company provides your cover?

Hi there and thanks for comments. The insurance company is Alliance. This is an Australian company. Back to my claim. What also made this special was that once submitted they also phoned me to update progress. Very efficient. As a further matter of interest before making my claim I phoned them. They offered me advice on how to get the best results from making the claim. Like others I was suspicious but it was fine. Also remember that I do most of my banking through the same bank and I believe that it gives me some leverage. Ok, I did not claim against the medical sections but then again this is one of the most controversial areas of insurance and my guess is that most companies will try to get out of paying if they can. Finally, because it is on my card I won't have even paid for it by the time I get back from Thailand!

• Upvote 1

Hi there and thanks for comments. The insurance company is Alliance. This is an Australian company. Back to my claim. What also made this special was that once submitted they also phoned me to update progress. Very efficient. As a further matter of interest before making my claim I phoned them. They offered me advice on how to get the best results from making the claim. Like others I was suspicious but it was fine. Also remember that I do most of my banking through the same bank and I believe that it gives me some leverage. Ok, I did not claim against the medical sections but then again this is one of the most controversial areas of insurance and my guess is that most companies will try to get out of paying if they can. Finally, because it is on my card I won't have even paid for it by the time I get back from Thailand!

Hi and thanks for the very informative and reassuring post. Also apologies to Surry for getting a bit off his thread...

Assume "Alliance" might be "Allianz Australia Insurance Limited"? (perhaps over enthusiastic spell checker?) If it is Allianz, then where in the T&C's does it mention age?

Cheers, Peter - a Barhopper from across the ditch :D

Hi there Peter. Yes. You are correct with the spelling. The age limits are right at the top of the Schedule of compensation. It is broken into 2 groups. Up to 75 and 75 to 89. In essence you can get cover till you are 90 however you have to do an assessment every time that you travel and their computer spits out an instant answer. Yes or no. If you use this, sit down well ahead of time and list all your medical history from day one. They (theoretically) required the lot. Once you have it sorted the first time then you will have the written contract to read off every time that you renew. Note that you can not use your last assessment and need to restart each trip. It's a 15/20 assessment the first time but speeds up when you get sorted.

Just as an aside. It occurred to me that this is a good thing to do. No matter who you are dealing with for travel insurance you really need to declare previous history but I am sure that most people skim over this aspect. If feel happy that I did the homework. Best of luck. PS. Not sure if you /l mentioned it but bank is ANZ and card is Gold or Platinum.