Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

New Head of Immigration....

Also, I would probably have to sustain taxable events to separate out the 800K baht. Silly when I have the income stream.

Crap, i forgot about that. I have to withdraw $30000 to net $25000. $5000 going directly to the IRS and probably an additional small amount to Maryland.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

'Hello John, There have been no reports of any requirement for Embassy income letter to be certified by a bank -- also, doesn't make any sense as the banks have nothing to do with it." This is

If it is what you need to live here anyhow, perhaps not as onerous as one might think. Yes it has to sit there above 800k for 90 days before the extension renewal, but then you can start using it and

I've been doing it for 11 years.......Why shouldn't others?????????????????

Crap, i forgot about that. I have to withdraw $30000 to net $25000. $5000 going directly to the IRS and probably an additional small amount to Maryland.

Wow that is a hit.........So you have $30,000 of your own money...probably earning 4 fifths of 5 eighths of fuck all in interest and your going to lose $5000???

I'm not doubting your word but that does not seem possible !!!! How do they justify ripping you by over 16%...???

Edited by atlas2

Atlas, it is more like 20% , not the investment firm but US taxes. Also with the money invested in the stock market , the hit multiplies by lost earnings over time.

I have zero money in interest earning account.

In off to PCEC , I doubt anything new other than their mail. But if so i will post today post it today.

That there might be a change in the proof of income requirements is one of those hardy perennials. Doesn't mean it can't happen. If it does, bank statements with a cryptic line for source of deposit would be a somewhat peculiar source for proving the monthly amount of a pension. A statement of account from the payer would be better. If it's statements from Bangkok Bank showing I make deposits of 65,000 baht a month and more, I'm pretty pretty sure that's a lock.

As far as the No Tip signs, I've never had one suggested. I think that once I may not have gotten my 100 baht change when I handed over 4,000 baht for a multiple reentry permit but that's it. I certainly would not offer an additional payment myself for fear I would be led out in handcuffs.

Edited by nkped
  • Upvote 1

My sole concern with putting 800,000 Baht in any Thai bank is the never ending thought that one day you log in and for whatever reason some or all has gone walkabout maybe theft, maybe atm fraud etc etc, and your subsequent battle royale to ever get it reinstated

My sole concern with putting 800,000 Baht in any Thai bank is the never ending thought that one day you log in and for whatever reason some or all has gone walkabout maybe theft, maybe atm fraud etc etc, and your subsequent battle royale to ever get it reinstated

Yeah, happens every day.... 12 years plus now, never happened. Now if I got lazy and sent the TGF out with my card to get some cash now and again, maybe one day!

You could actually put the money in a USD or Sterling account with a Thai bank, or an account without an ATM card associated with it.

Edited by jacko

NEVER keep the serious money in an account with a card associated

Thai accounts, open two online accounts, one with plastic the other none

The non-plastic account harbours the cash & little stays in the card bearing account.

Need a lump of cash flip out the mobile transfer the required to the 'ATM' account, step forward to the machine and withdraw it

Hard for some bank employed 'Dick Turpin' to bullshit away a spurious withdrawal when it needs a personal appearance with book and passport to acheive ;)

Ive never had to lie on my income verification. I have supporting documents to prove ready to show.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Keep out some of the riff raff that should not be here anyway.

British Embassy Bangkok to stop Certification of Income Letters

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/british-embassy-bangkok-to-stop-certification-of-income-letters

Nothing similar as yet on the site for the US Embassy. The UK notice does say the income alternative would be shown by monthly transfers of 65,000 into a Thai bank account every month. The Bangkok Bank account with the ability to make ACH transfers into it is looking better and better.

British Embassy Bangkok to stop Certification of Income Letters

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/british-embassy-bangkok-to-stop-certification-of-income-letters

Good feedback... from the link I read...

or a monthly income of at least 65,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand for a retirement visa.

I believe this is a change as previously the money could be shown coming into a foreign account. If the UK Embassy is withdrawing it's verification service, perhaps the local authorities are deciding it needs to be seen arriving in Thailand.

Good feedback... from the link I read...

or a monthly income of at least 65,000 THB transferred into an account in Thailand for a retirement visa.

I believe this is a change as previously the money could be shown coming into a foreign account. If the UK Embassy is withdrawing it's verification service, perhaps the local authorities are deciding it needs to be seen arriving in Thailand.

Assuming immigration is happy with Thai bank statements showing 65000k plus coming in each month, how many months statements would be needed? 3, same as the 800k? Or more? Anyone any ideas, or is it still a "who knows"?

Assuming immigration is happy with Thai bank statements showing 65000k plus coming in each month, how many months statements would be needed? 3, same as the 800k? Or more? Anyone any ideas, or is it still a "who knows"?

No point assuming at this stage, the British Embassy have taken this step because, they say, it is unable to fulfil the Thai authorities’ requirements to verify the income of British Nationals. So best answer to you is a 'who knows'. Along those lines I know quite a few people who do stay in Thailand on retirement extensions, but split their time with their home country. It would seem ridiculous to have them show 12x65,000 baht coming into Thailand.

Nkped, the ability to make ACH transfers to Bangkok Bank stops on April 1

Or, at least, it will have additional requirements. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch Thanks for the heads up.
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, happens every day.... 12 years plus now, never happened. Now if I got lazy and sent the TGF out with my card to get some cash now and again, maybe one day!

You could actually put the money in a USD or Sterling account with a Thai bank, or an account without an ATM card associated with it.

Yes I have I mil. in a Siam Back account with no ATM card, fixed and get interest on the money and that's what I use to verify my income.

I remember the first year I put the 800,000 baht in the bank. The immigration officer said that was good and had been in more than three months. He then asked me if I was working. I told him the I was not working and was retired. He then asked me how I could live in Thailand without spending any money. I showed him my Citibank ATM card and told him I draw money from my US bank, I had saved a few of the withdrawal slips and showed them to him. He told me it would be best to live on the 800,000 and top it up three months before my visa expired. I have done it that way ever since.

• Upvote 1

Well today I heard from a guy who works in Visas etc and pretty much just said 'don't panic'!

Pension/Income Verification letters, yes the British Embassy has announced as from Jan 1st 2019 they will end this service. This had nothing to do with Thai Immigration and is purely a British Embassy decision.There has been some lobbying effort and they have been asked to review that decision.

The British Embassy has gone alone on this, meaning that no other country's Embassies have announced they too will stop the service. Immigration will accept Income letters that are up to 6 months old from date of issue. This means that UK people should be able to apply to get their extensions using them until May/ June 2019.

Other than that, business as usual.

Later Edit: The yanks have now announced they too will end Pension/Income Verification letters.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

I’ve heard from a horse’s mouth that some visa companies will have a favored status and remain open and all services will remain available.

Nudge and Wink

Somewhat OT but asking for advice from knowledgeable BM"s. I thought i understood the o-a visa but maybe not.

I obtained my first oa in the States last year. It says enter before 8 August 2018. I arrived 25/8/2017. Returned to the US to visit and on return my immigration stamp from Swampy is written "admitted until 28 November 2018". I thought the enter by date on the O-A was the expiration date. I went Jomtien prepared for the extension in August and the officer pointed to the "M" and said i'm to early. I was a bit concerned so i did my 90 day the same day asking that officer if i understood correctly. He said i am ok , no extension now.

So in researching the OP it seems that when i return to the US for Thanksgiving holiday 15 November i don't need to renew before leaving I will be permitted stay for another year after returning 27 November 2018.

Correct ? or should i just apply for my extension Nov 1 as planned.

Sorry, if a bit tedious post but i want to get this immigration stuff right. Over the years i have found the advice here is generally sound ,unlike what i am reading on the British Immigration topic on TV where some of it it just immature and wrong.

Somewhat OT but asking for advice from knowledgeable BM"s. I thought i understood the o-a visa but maybe not.

I obtained my first oa in the States last year. It says enter before 8 August 2018. I arrived 25/8/2017. Returned to the US to visit and on return my immigration stamp from Swampy is written "admitted until 28 November 2018". I thought the enter by date on the O-A was the expiration date. I went Jomtien prepared for the extension in August and the officer pointed to the "M" and said i'm to early. I was a bit concerned so i did my 90 day the same day asking that officer if i understood correctly. He said i am ok , no extension now.

So in researching the OP it seems that when i return to the US for Thanksgiving holiday 15 November i don't need to renew before leaving I will be permitted stay for another year after returning 27 November 2018.

Correct ? or should i just apply for my extension Nov 1 as planned.

Sorry, if a bit tedious post but i want to get this immigration stuff right. Over the years i have found the advice here is generally sound ,unlike what i am reading on the British Immigration topic on TV where some of it it just immature and wrong.

The O-A is a multiple entry Visa valid for a year from date of issue. On each entry you make prior to that expiry date, you are given a permission to stay of 12 months.

If you wish to leave Thailand after the visa expiry date, but prior to the permission to stay date, you might consider a re-entry permit to keep that one permission to stay date. You can get near 2 years out of an O-A Visa.

Does that help or do I confuse?

Are you hoping to get an extension based on retirement while in Thailand?

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

The O-A is a multiple entry Visa valid for a year from date of issue. On each entry you make prior to that expiry date, you are given a permission to stay of 12 months.

If you wish to leave Thailand after the visa expiry date, but prior to the permission to stay date, you might consider a re-entry permit to keep that one permission to stay date. You can get near 2 years out of an O-A Visa.

Does that help or do I confuse?

Are you hoping to get an extension based on retirement while in Thailand?

Good explanation and good that sailingbill is asking for clarification now as I didn't and ended up invalidating my O-A Visa. Really sucks to be told on coming back to Thailand my visa was no good and only getting the 30 day stamp.

What I didn't understand then, but what what you explained quite well is the visa expiration date and its effect on the 12 month permission to stay. The key thing to remember is to get a re-entry permit before you leave the country once past the visa expiration date.

• Upvote 1

I renewed my yearly retirement extension to stay yesterday in Nakhon Phanom, there was a big new sign saying “no tips please”.

I was in and out in less than 20 minutes, good service with a smile.

Regards.