Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

MM posted about this scam several years ago, and it is still continuing.

The filling station on Pattaya Tai just up from Mityon has a habit of not zeroing the pump before dispensing fuel. I've observed this twice very recently, and they typically overcharge customers (Thai and farang) by 40-50 baht, making this a nice little earner for these scum.

Be careful out there.

This scam at the SHELL Station exists from at least the 18 years that I come to Pattaya !!!

A quick search on Google give by example this article from 2006 !

Beware Gas Scam!

Typically, the gas attendant fills your tank and then you pay whatever the meter reads, right?

Well you should probably check to see that the meter was actually reset before the attendant starts to fill. …

:angry:

It needs someone to catch them at it and creating a big fuss shouting Khmoy khmoy one day.

I use a Shell Station near my house without ever a problem.

I don't even understand why the pumps can be manipulated this way. If the nozzle is replaced, it should go to zero.

Good heads up!

Edited by jacko

One would think that whoever owns this gas station would have fired the scam artists by now.

Thai 'management' seems in my experience to have a unique slant on this

When I confronted the manager of a well known near Jomtien supermarket about a particular cashier who it seemed always dipped a 100 out of the change from a 1000

This she did in the blatant knowledge that we both knew she was doing it and that she would always be challenged and she always rectified it with a nonchalant shrug. The manager was very 'head-scratchy' and mai kow jai, about it saying 'it is impossible for her to steal from me (as in him the manager)' he just refused to acknowledge that she routinely steals from his customers.

??

It's a bit more than a trifling 'fiddle'

What happens is any time a low-value sale is done the pump is left running at say 50 baht, if the next punter is a 'fill her up' then he starts dry at 50 baht already showing on the pump. The surplus cash is syphoned off by the forecourt workers day in day out, it was I think 20+ years ago when I was first warned about them. Got to have added up to a fine old lump of cash by now

Same scam used to happen in the UK back when youngsters pumped the fuel for you, worst that would happen back then was after a succession of complaints from the public someone from government 'weights and measures' would pitch up and test they were dispensing a true gallon, which of course the pumps always did.

The operator is probably putting a little fuel in their motobike and not paying for it. Do they pump the gas for you when they do this?

Fifty baht each time will fill a lot of motorbikes. Most only hold 120-140 bahts worth. In Thailand they do the filling for you. My Shell station each attendant has to go to the cashier in a glass box to hand over the cash and get change.

Perhaps a few 'reviews' on Google Maps would be an idea!

Edited by jacko

I always get out of my car and peer at the pump....Can’t usually see much because of the sun but I assume it puts them off.
As for the station in question, there I’m very alert. I prefer to make a big show of scrutiny prior to commencement instead of arguing the toss afterwards.
Shouldn’t be like this though.

Edited by atlas2

They scam Thais as well. The feeling is if you can afford a big car that takes a lot of gas then you have enough money already.

On that basis they should really rip-off bar owners!

• Upvote 2

Thankfully I read about this before I ever came to Thailand.

Easy to avoid. When you get off the bike lift the seat and put your hand on the filler cap then just look at the pump numbers. When you see the zeros is the time you take the filler cap off.

• Upvote 1

While this scam does not affect me I recall the following. On leaving school I was an apprentice in a garage. Part of the job was to gas cars up at times. Some of the pumps simply did not return to zero on occasion. I recall the horror when this happened and the nightmare trying to make good. I am sure that this is a scam but it was a simple mechanical problem in my case.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

While this scam does not affect me I recall the following. On leaving school I was an apprentice in a garage. Part of the job was to gas cars up at times. Some of the pumps simply did not return to zero on occasion. I recall the horror when this happened and the nightmare trying to make good. I am sure that this is a scam but it was a simple mechanical problem in my case.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Had colour TV come out yet?

I haven't used that Shell station in 15 years. Fortunately where i line Thepprasit or heading out to Suk is an easy deal. Last time at that Shell station i busted the guy and he replied, "no work".