Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Indeed. RIP all those that gave their lives so I can enjoy the freedoms I have today. I bet most of those that perished would turn in their graves at the state of the UK and the liberal lefty twats that have ruined this country.

• Upvote 2

Lovely new arrangement of the 'Last Post' just aired on the Andrew Marr show......very moving.

When it turns up on youtube I'll post it.

The missus and I observed the two minutes' silence with a cup of Earl Grey. She had to study British culture for her passport so she's fully educated in these things these days.

• Upvote 1

FwPlotof11.jpg

Sad to say they would be spinning in those graves if they could see what the current shower of sh*te were doing to the UK.

Edited by Lantern
On November 7th, 1920, in strictest secrecy, four unidentified British bodies were exhumed from temporary battlefield cemeteries at Ypres, Arras, the Asine and the Somme.

None of the soldiers who did the digging were told why.

The bodies were taken by field ambulance to GHQ at St-Pol-Sur-Ter Noise. Once there, the bodies were draped with the union flag.

Sentries were posted and Brigadier-General Wyatt and a Colonel Gell selected one body at random. The other three were reburied.

A French Honour Guard was selected and stood by the coffin overnight of the chosen soldier overnight.

On the morning of the 8th November, a specially designed coffin made of oak from the grounds of Hampton Court arrived and the Unknown Warrior was placed inside.

On top was placed a crusaders sword and a shield on which was inscribed:

"A British Warrior who fell in the GREAT WAR 1914-1918 for King and Country".

On the 9th of November, the Unknown Warrior was taken by horse-drawn carriage through Guards of Honour and the sound of tolling bells and bugle calls to the quayside.

There, he was saluted by Marechal Foche and loaded onto HMS Vernon bound for Dover. The coffin stood on the deck covered in wreaths, surrounded by the French Honour Guard.

Upon arrival at Dover, the Unknown Warrior was met with a nineteen gun salute - something that was normally only reserved for Field Marshals.

A special train had been arranged and he was then conveyed to Victoria Station, London.

He remained there overnight, and, on the morning of the 11th of November, he was finally taken to Westminster Abbey.

The idea of the unknown warrior was thought of by a Padre called David Railton who had served on the front line during the Great War the union flag he had used as an altar cloth whilst at the front, was the one that had been draped over the coffin.

It was his intention that all of the relatives of the 517,773 combatants whose bodies had not been identified could believe that the Unknown Warrior could very well be their lost husband, father, brother or son...

THIS is the reason we wear poppies.

We do not glorify war.

We remember - with humility - the great and the ultimate sacrifices that were made, not just in this war, but in every war and conflict where our service personnel have fought - to ensure the liberty and freedoms that we now take for granted.

Every year, on the 11th of November, we remember the Unknown Warrior.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.

Tomorrow.jpg

• Upvote 4

Indeed. RIP all those that gave their lives so I can enjoy the freedoms I have today. I bet most of those that perished would turn in their graves at the state of the UK and the liberal lefty twats that have ruined this country.

Hi Sam. I managed to give you +1 for sentence 1, but those that survived voted in Labour governments in 1924 and 1945 - the dole, the free National Health Service, incl. free vaccinations, school dinners and benefits for the less well-off were the result.

If that's "ruined" you're right.

Some of the dead would have been well pleased. Just mho.

Andy Cap

• Upvote 1

Lovely new arrangement of the 'Last Post' just aired on the Andrew Marr show......very moving.

When it turns up on youtube I'll post it.

That stopped us in our tracks as well - superb arrangement.

Did anyone see Peter Jackson's 90-minute film "They Shall Not Grow Old" the black and white film made into colour/slowed down/given serious sound/and lip-read script at 21.30 GMT on Beeb 2 last night. The voice-overs were taken from soldiers' diaries. All the UK footage was in b/w and the footage at the front was in colour. Stunning in the real sense.

Lots of blood and mutilation to detract from the "the great lie".

Available on BBC Iplayer if you missed it and have VPN. Only a trailer on YT so far

AC

• Upvote 2

I reckon you've covered everything Sam.......Well said ...and from the heart......which is the result of straightforward clear thinking from the head too.

Economic migrants have invaded the UK and they abuse its hospitable systems. Watch this below, but a warning, your blood will boil.

Personal note.

My mum born at the end of the Great War and having lived through WWII, moved from Marylebone to Harrow in the 1990s, having after a lifetime's waiting at last been given a council house there. She had a little garden and loved it...... Until the area was swamped with immigrants. The kids thought it fun to pelt old people's doors with eggs while they cowered inside. The police did nothing.......

In her 80's, outside a Bank in Hatch End she stumbled on the well-meaning 'brail' pavement placed for the blind at a pedestrian crossing....The result a smashed face and a broken hip.

I flew over, and along with my brother, we were her only visitors. When we left her after visiting hours there was no one she could speak with. They were all ladies around her age but none of the other 5 patients spoke English.......They would natter away with each other though, and although pleasant enough, my mom was the outlier.....the odd one out...the stranger in her own country. At weekends and in the evenings the ward would fill with extended Asian Families...... It only added to her loneliness....

When the world you grew up in......The one you laughed in, danced, loved, gossiped, knowing all your neighbours and their business......When you'd known the camaraderie of war, and looking out for each other....... and being English, and being a Londoner......... And then you're confronted with the cold fact that you've lived long enough to become a stranger in another London, another world....??

Well she never said anything. ......but I knew the questioning sadness behind those old frightened eyes.

Scared of dying....Scared of living.

It wasn't a happy end....I suppose they never are.

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 4

Fair enough Siam Sam and atlas2. I haven't lived in the UK since 1986 so I haven't had the experiences you speak of.

I left because I couldn't see any future for me and the wife, and our children to come, in the industrial already-wasteland of our North East. We had already worked in London and Kent, before I got laid off and we traipsed back north - Saudi Arabia saved us (!)

The black/dark blue passport let me move to France in '89, and the Maastricht Treaty in '92 made it permanent. I'm sure Sapper Christopher Watson R....... would have approved, if he knew that the thriving North-East, which he knew working as a forge hand at the company which built Titanic's propeller, was a dead as a dodo, but he was already dead himself and I couldn't ask him.

You are right - I have no idea what others would think, from their graves or blown to bits just beneath Flanders fields.

I moved for a better life and got one - Tebbit-style (sans vélo). I do have rose-tinted spectacles but you need them nowadays.

Two and half months sober BTW.

Andy Cap

Edited by capdagde

'You can take the man out of England but can't take England out of the man'

To an extent you and I Cap are sitting on the sidelines watching it disappear. I left to become a foreigner in a foreign land because it was less depressing than watching my land become foreign.

Oh well.

On the rose coloured side, thanks Tommy Sopworth for the post war wins........Particularly, 'The Beatles.' Sounds trite but my life would have been poorer without 'em and the others.

PS.

My '50th Anniversary Beatles White Album' arrives in time for Christmas. (Incidentally it was cheaper to order it from Amazon US and have them ship it to Thailand than to ask a friend to get one in England and bring it over with him).

Congrats for keeping off ....... the 'vintage Beaujolais nouveau.'

PPS.

This interview chimes with my thoughts...........

Ironic that after all our history......The present British politicians find raising the white flag in Downing Street exactly 100 years later as a fitting tribute to these men.

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 1

For years now, I've found myself agreeing with everything this brave man Farage says, he's a beacon of light in a murky world of hidden agendas, blind opposition to almost anything valued and held dear (incl. history itself) and intolerance. I sincerely hope he finds a major role in mainstream British politics, though I don't think that will happen because his virtues are not wanted there.

• Upvote 1

On the rose coloured side, thanks Tommy Sopworth for the post war wins........Particularly, 'The Beatles.' Sounds trite but my life would have been poorer without 'em and the others.

PS.

My '50th Anniversary Beatles White Album' arrives in time for Christmas. (Incidentally it was cheaper to order it from Amazon US and have them ship it to Thailand than to ask a friend to get one in England and bring it over with him).

Congrats for keeping off ....... the 'vintage Beaujolais nouveau.'

Ironic that after all our history......The present British politicians find raising the white flag in Downing Street exactly 100 years later as a fitting tribute to these men.

I find myself agreeing with EVERYTHING that Farage said in the video (because he didn't say anything contentious, perhaps). He certainly needs to look at the East India Company's record in China and India though.... and the biggy, the American War of Independence, as to whether the Brits got the Empire through negotiation.

I'm confused.... were Tommy Sopwith and Tommy Sopworth 2 different people? T'internet seems equally stumped...

When Macca goes I'm taking 3 days off.... so 'same-same'. I'll have a sit and thrash out some lines on the Hofner Violin Bass, and fall off the wagon.

LOL.....the only wine which ever made me throw up is 'Beaujolais Nouveau' (two years running) - have never touched the stuff since. It's actually better when it's 'vintage' (or at least 5 years old).

A couple of hours until we find out what the 'deal' might be - but it seems to be 'neither nowt nor summat'.

We'll tune in for the next exciting episode of course.

How I Won the War.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_I_Won_the_War

Edited by capdagde

Gents, with the greatest of respect I posted "lest we forget" as a rememberance and reminder to us all that without the sacrifices made by those over the years and during the Great war, we would not be able to enjoy the lifestyles and freedoms we all have today.

Please don't turn it into a political argument , or a discourse on brexit or anything which might get it moved in the "politics" section because that was not my intention for posting.

Last year it was simply replied to by others stating "lest we forget" - just a simple reflection and thanks, a pittance of time as the song goes.

I'm not a Mod, don't want to be but I would just ask anyone thinking of carrying on the discussion and points made here in a separate thread if they please could.

Tell me to get fucked if you like, but it's just my feelings that I'm venting out here.

cheers

Butch

• Upvote 2

Gents, with the greatest of respect I posted "lest we forget" as a rememberance and reminder to us all that without the sacrifices made by those over the years and during the Great war, we would not be able to enjoy the lifestyles and freedoms we all have today.

Please don't turn it into a political argument , or a discourse on brexit or anything which might get it moved in the "politics" section because that was not my intention for posting.

Last year it was simply replied to by others stating "lest we forget" - just a simple reflection and thanks, a pittance of time as the song goes.

I'm not a Mod, don't want to be but I would just ask anyone thinking of carrying on the discussion and points made here in a separate thread if they please could.

Tell me to get fucked if you like, but it's just my feelings that I'm venting out here.

cheers

Butch

Sorry 'Forgot'

I find myself agreeing with EVERYTHING that Farage said in the video (because he didn't say anything contentious, perhaps). He certainly needs to look at the East India Company's record in China and India though.... and the biggy, the American War of Independence, as to whether the Brits got the Empire through negotiation.

I'm confused.... were Tommy Sopwith and Tommy Sopworth 2 different people? T'internet seems equally stumped...

When Macca goes I'm taking 3 days off.... so 'same-same'. I'll have a sit and thrash out some lines on the Hofner Violin Bass, and fall off the wagon.

LOL.....the only wine which ever made me throw up is 'Beaujolais Nouveau' (two years running) - have never touched the stuff since. It's actually better when it's 'vintage' (or at least 5 years old).

A couple of hours until we find out what the 'deal' might be - but it seems to be 'neither nowt nor summat'.

We'll tune in for the next exciting episode of course.

Old, vintage and matured for that horse's urine is a matter of weeks!!

Edited by jacko

When I posted my rant I did thing that it may be disrespectful to the ethos of the thread but I couldn't help myself as it is something I feel so passionate about and it is relevant for those that died. I did want to make further replies to capdagde and atlas2 but I'll respect the thread and save it for now. I think I'll start another thread about this elsewhere in a more appropriate section.

if you do Ill check it out but my NY Resolution was not to argue down there....

Much happier not having to deal with circuitous arguments and straw men.

So dont be offended if I dont post a reply.

On the plus side you can say want you want about me ...5555

Edited by atlas2