Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

What do you miss from the uk

Hi just came across this arcicle and was wondering what you miss or cannot get in Thailand

Most popular foods for U.S. expats

1. Heinz Baked Beans in tomato Sauce

2. Warburtons Crumpets 6 pack

3. Robinsons Apple and Blackcurrant Squash

4. McVities Jaffa Cakes 10 pack

5. Robinsons Orange Squash

6. Milupa Aptamil Follow On Milk Ready to Drink

7. Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup

8. Cadburys Flake 4 pack

9. Cadburys Crunchie 4 pack

10. Bisto Gravy Granules

Most popular foods for expats in Spain

1. Warburtons Crumpets 6 pack

2. McVities Ginger Nuts

3. Robinsons Orange Squash

4. Robinsons Apple and Blackcurrant Squash

5. Milupa Aptamil Follow On Milk Ready to Drink

6. Milupa Aptamil First Milk Ready to Drink

7. Bisto Gravy Granule

8. Paxo Sage and Onion Stuffing Mix

9. Rubicon Sparkling Lychee Juice Drink

10. Robinsons Squash’d Summer Fruits

Most popular foods for expats in Australia

1. Heinz Baked Beans

2. Milupa Aptamil First Milk Ready to Drink

3. Walkers Cheese & Onion Crisps 6 Pack

4. Smiths Bacon Fries

5. Smiths Scampi Fries

6. Walkers Frazzles 8 pack

7. Nestle Shreddies

8. Mr Porky Prime Cut Scratchings Single Bag

9. Heinz Oxtail Soup

10. Walkers Prawn Cocktail Crisps 6 pack

Being an American i don't know what many of those things are. But if you want to know where to find them or like items, Villa Market.

The only thing i miss from the US is crab cakes. Everything else i can pretty much find or duplicate. I'm back in the states this week and my first stop is to get a crab cake. Not Asian, Callinectes Sapidus.

Or in the Pattaya area Siamburys ?

Or, for the benefit of your waistline, skip a chunk of them! They are oh so much more pleasurable when you break the fast on a UK trip!

Mmmmm Jaffa Cakes......Gregg's whist pies.

Edited by jacko

You know thinking about this a little more.........

First thing I do whenever I go back to the UK..within a couple of hours...... is to drags friends out and have a really good curry.......Even before a proper pint.

Edited by atlas2

When in the Philippines I really miss fresh milk and decent bread. The milk over there is like the "longlife" stuff we have here, even the milk they sell which is refrigerated tastes odd. as for the bread, it got so bad that I ended up baking my own at one point, as the supermarket stuff is truly atrocious. It never seemed to last very long however!.

I've mentioned here and elsewhere ....the wonderful Siamburys....Wonderful for UK expats that is...because you can find such rarities as shipman's fish paste and Yorkshire tea.

It's only fair then for me to mention also 'BASDA'.......(again Brits will get the pun). Look for the green and white sign on Soi Watboon in Jomtien. Only a third, to half the size of Siamburys......But with a decent selection that's commensurate with that size. I went there today because it's much closer to the old people's home I live in.

Bought some Yorkshire Gold and some proper Cadburys chocolate. Hope both places flourish.

BASDA's close proximity certainly makes my life easier. I'll be one of their 'regs'.

PS got to mention Tequila Sunrise just off Jomtien Beach Road in Soi Chayaprook.

Some of you will know of it Sunday Roast at 70 baht.......But a friend recommended their 'Bacon Rolls' just brought one home and woofed it down. The roll is really a baguette ......(I think form that famous Vietnamese shop on Soi Koh Noi......Mine was stuffed with bacon 50 baht!

I'm going to get fatter......(and Moo Sam Chang lel )

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 1

When I lived in Thailand I could get most of the products I missed but there were some that I couldn't seem to find. This is a list of all the things I missed irrespective of whether I could find them or not:

Tabasco sauce

Lea and Perrins sauce

Coleman's mustard

Fresh bread and croissants

Good quality English ham

Parma ham

Prosciutto ham

Good quality English bacon and sausages

Heinz beans

Thorntons chocolates

Nesquick

Cadbury's hot chocolate

Certain chocolate bars and products

Bahlsen biscuits

Earl Grey and Assam tea bags

Certain white wines

Laurent-Perrier rose champagne

Anything not on the list I either didn't miss or found a good substitute for.

• Upvote 1

When I lived in Thailand I could get most of the products I missed but there were some that I couldn't seem to find. This is a list of all the things I missed irrespective of whether I could find them or not:

Stuff and

Hang on a minute. I had you down for a cheap charlie lol.

seriously though, maybe we could set up a system for tourists to bring the odd items or items out for Expats in return for an agreed amount of beers / cash or whatever?.

Tabasco sauce

Lea and Perrins sauce

Coleman's mustard

Fresh bread and croissants

Good quality English ham

Parma ham

Prosciutto ham

Good quality English bacon and sausages

Heinz beans

Thorntons chocolates

Nesquick

Cadbury's hot chocolate

Certain chocolate bars and products

Bahlsen biscuits

Earl Grey and Assam tea bags

Certain white wines

Anything not on the list I either didn't miss or found a good substitute for.

All that's available here now Sam although I've not heard of Bahlsen biscuits....I'll look for you next time I'm in Siamburys.

Got a mate with his own 'smoker' makes great Ham.

The main, (secret) ingredient for my Christmas mulled wine is a large splosh of Stones Ginger wine. I cant stand the stuff in any other context but it gives a great warming 'bite to mulled wine.

I've looked everywhere for some here......'Wye King' it would be called in Thai.....If anyone knows a seller be great if you'd let me know.

The main, (secret) ingredient for my Christmas mulled wine is a large splosh of Stones Ginger wine. I cant stand the stuff in any other context but it gives a great warming 'bite to mulled wine.

I've looked everywhere for some here......'Wye King' it would be called in Thai.....If anyone knows a seller be great if you'd let me know.

You need to ask some BM heading here from UK to bring one in!

Edited by jacko

seriously though, maybe we could set up a system for tourists to bring the odd items or items out for Expats in return for an agreed amount of beers / cash or whatever?.

I do this whenever I come out, Butch. I used to do an open invite in the forum to any member asking if they wanted anything bringing out, however now I have a couple of guys I just PM and ask what they need.

I don't bring out anything I can't buy myself and fit it in my luggage, so no 'parcels from my mate' type of thing!

Mind you, I had one member asking for something which I agreed to purchase and brought out, but when I tried to arrange to give it to him, he told me he was already back in the UK!!

KM

perhaps this could be a sticky post for members requests

I've mentioned here and elsewhere ....the wonderful Siamburys....Wonderful for UK expats that is...because you can find such rarities as shipman's fish paste and Yorkshire tea.

It's only fair then for me to mention also 'BASDA'.......(again Brits will get the pun). Look for the green and white sign on Soi Watboon in Jomtien. Only a third, to half the size of Siamburys......But with a decent selection that's commensurate with that size. I went there today because it's much closer to the old people's home I live in.

Bought some Yorkshire Gold and some proper Cadburys chocolate. Hope both places flourish.

BASDA's close proximity certainly makes my life easier. I'll be one of their 'regs'.

PS got to mention Tequila Sunrise just off Jomtien Beach Road in Soi Chayaprook.

Some of you will know of it Sunday Roast at 70 baht.......But a friend recommended their 'Bacon Rolls' just brought one home and woofed it down. The roll is really a baguette ......(I think form that famous Vietnamese shop on Soi Koh Noi......Mine was stuffed with bacon 50 baht!

I'm going to get fatter......(and Moo Sam Chang lel )

where is so I watboon please

where is so I watboon please

Same Road The Majestic Condo is on, also known as Bun Kanchana Alley The Wat Bun temple is at the top, Sukhumvit end, and The Winchester/ Jomtiem 2nd Rd junction at the other, used to be a roundabout, but I think it is a junction now. Straight on and you come to the Jomtiem Beach at the Grand Jomtiem Palace Hotel.

Google Maps,

Edited by jacko

A good idea if you know lots of people in Pattaya.

All that's available here now Sam although I've not heard of Bahlsen biscuits....I'll look for you next time I'm in Siamburys.

Got a mate with his own 'smoker' makes great Ham.

Do me a favour please and go through my list and tell me where I can get these items? Some of them I know where to go but maybe you'll know an alternative place?

Edited by Siam Sam

Being an American i don't know what many of those things are. But if you want to know where to find them or like items, Villa Market.

The only thing i miss from the US is crab cakes. Everything else i can pretty much find or duplicate. I'm back in the states this week and my first stop is to get a crab cake. Not Asian, Callinectes Sapidus.

Yeah, that has to be a typo and was likely intended to be top UK food items.

Yanks might be after masa harina or cornmeal for fresh tortillas, Zatrain crab boil, good peanut butter, etc., but orange squash and jaffa cakes ... no way.

I miss turning on the tap and drinking the water or making a cup of tea with tap water , i know some parts of the uk water not that great but where i lived was good thats my number one thing i miss doing other thing is proper fresh cream cakes