Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

What??? There's a beach at Pattaya!!! It could be said I learn something new every day!!!

My initial opening line was something similar... 'For the Expats amongst us who do not know, Pattaya has a Beach', but I dropped it. I never use the beach, and my last previous walk on the sand was the fireworks competition last June, and it was truly a mess then,

My initial opening line was something similar... 'For the Expats amongst us who do not know, Pattaya has a Beach', but I dropped it. I never use the beach, and my last previous walk on the sand was the fireworks competition last June, and it was truly a mess then,

I did once walk on the beach about 13 years ago, on my second visit to Pattaya.....the first and only time I have.... I don't visit Pattaya for the beach, I visit for the fun and the booze!!!

• Upvote 1

I did once walk on the beach about 13 years ago, on my second visit to Pattaya.....the first and only time I have.... I don't visit Pattaya for the beach, I visit for the fun and the booze!!!

Sorry to wax lyrical but it did take me back somewhat... to sitting on the Beach in a deck chair under an umbrella which was an integral part of my early 1980s visits to Pattaya. Mostly around the bend past The Dusit or in Jomtiem. A cold beer mid afternoon, a Pork Penang and fried rice made by an old lady with a wok and gas cylinder behind, a little nap as the sun set. Those casual encounters......

Killing time until beer o'clock.....

Edited by jacko

WOW !!! I haven't been to the beach in years, this actually looks like a nice beach to go to, are you sure it's our beach ? Is it photo shopped ? HA! HA! HA!

Good report jacko and the beach doesn't look too bad in those photos although I feel that it'll always be a badly polluted beach. The one and only time I went in the water in Pattaya bay was to disguise the smell of a soapy massage I'd had just before meeting the missus.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen these attempts at "reclaiming" the beach in Southern California for many years. All failed with the first big storms and the other forces of nature. The only partial success I saw was when large stone jetties were also put in at a huge expense. And that was only partially successful.

The sand is already washing out. The water is hopelessly polluted anyway. I walked into that small sewage treatment plant in Naklua one day. What was coming out looked like road/asphalt tar. It was reported not too long ago that the plant was non operational and could not be repaired?

Too bad the beach at the bottom of Soi 18 in Naklua is quite nice. however you can't go in the water.

I had 4 friends from England get really drunk and decided to go swimming at around Soi 6. All of them got wierd rashes and two had eye infections.

I see more people going in as "alledged high season" approaches. Makes ya wonder.

The beaches are extremely polluted even out at Koh Larn now. Pretty said because I love the ocean. Side note lots of people even getting sick at the pool at the condo I live in which looks quite nice. Lots of kids now and never see anyone using the toilet. I stopped going in because of recurring ear infections.

OK keep the sand coming...

I have seen these attempts at "reclaiming" the beach in Southern California for many years. All failed with the first big storms and the other forces of nature. The only partial success I saw was when large stone jetties were also put in at a huge expense. And that was only partially successful.

The sand is already washing out. The water is hopelessly polluted anyway. I walked into that small sewage treatment plant in Naklua one day. What was coming out looked like road/asphalt tar. It was reported not too long ago that the plant was non operational and could not be repaired?

Too bad the beach at the bottom of Soi 18 in Naklua is quite nice. however you can't go in the water.

I had 4 friends from England get really drunk and decided to go swimming at around Soi 6. All of them got wierd rashes and two had eye infections.

I see more people going in as "alledged high season" approaches. Makes ya wonder.

The beaches are extremely polluted even out at Koh Larn now. Pretty said because I love the ocean. Side note lots of people even getting sick at the pool at the condo I live in which looks quite nice. Lots of kids now and never see anyone using the toilet. I stopped going in because of recurring ear infections.

OK keep the sand coming...

Nice post.

When I was a child, the pure white beaches in my hometown in South Oz streched for hundreds of metres. Now there's reasonable beach only at low tide. All the expensive remedies seem to be just political expediencies. The stone outcrops you mention (as well as sand carting) have only moved the problem a bit further along over here. Really cannot see Pattaya solving its beach sand problem when the street drainage system is so dire.

• 1 month later...

A few pics of the current status of the beach reclamation project. Towards the north end they dropped off several loads of riprap. Wonder if that will be used for erosion control, or possibly a base for boat launch ramp. 
 P1300002.jpg

Another hazy day.
P1300003.jpg

Could only make out the Pattaya City sign when zoomed in.
P1300009.jpg

Not many chutes in the air, but I confess when I took the pic I wasn't really looking that far out.
P1300013.jpg

One positive to the beach nourishment project, boat passengers are only one or two steps from dry land when getting on or off the speedboats.
P1300004.jpg

I just don't see how these barriers will control runoff and erosion if that is their intended purpose.
P1300016.jpg

The beach nourishment project is almost done. Final snaps of the final work to be done on the south end.
P1300025.jpg

P1300030.jpg

P1300031.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The project has finished, except for a few final touches.

The south end is the most dramatically different. The reason for building the concrete jetty, just before the sewage outlet, is now apparent: it forms the boundary to the new beach.

DSC00666.jpg

DSC00667.jpg

DSC00669.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Bazle said:

The south end is the most dramatically different. The reason for building the concrete jetty, just before the sewage outlet, is now apparent: it forms the boundary to the new beach.

Well  personally won't be sat on a lounger near that end, it usually stinks round there. 

Looks much better now. How long it will stay that way is anyone's guess!

Not that the sea itself is any better! but for those that like to sit on the beach its an improvement.

• Upvote 1

There has been some speculation as to the purpose of these structures.

P1300016.jpg

One has now been filled in with concrete. Looks to me like a nice ankle twister if you're not paying attention when you step off the pavement and onto the sand. Other than a source for broken ankles, I still don't know what they hope to accomplish with these structures. It's certainly not going to do anything to help control erosion during heavy rains, if that's what they had in mind.

IMG_20190219_120205.jpg

It looks like the boat in Force' 4 picture is where they are getting the sand.   My son is a Civil Engineer and said he doesn't know much about these projects  (builds bridges) except they don't work.   A shame about the  water quality. I live on the beach Soi 18 Naklua. Was looking forward to getting some snorkeling equipment. A neighbor said don't bother. He tried it and there were long streaks of petroleum underwater. Even avoiding them he still had the taste of it in his mouth.

Cementing in the pad on the north end. What's interesting to note is one of the pads they put the rebar on top of a layer of cement. For this pad and a couple of others they're putting the rebar on top of the plastic membrane. Not sure which method is best, but you would think the project manager would use the same method on each pad.
P2230005.jpg

Using a front end mover to move cement from the truck to the pad is a lot easier than humping it by wheelbarrow.
P2230006.jpg
P2230007.jpg

How considerate, they're putting up short time tents on the beach.
P2230009.jpg

Concrete pad going in today across from A One Hotel using the rebar on top of cling film method.
P2240008.jpg

Got lucky today and got a pic of them taking samples for strength testing. Is it normal to get nine samples from one load?
P2240014.jpg

Across from Soi 5.
P2240016.jpg

And at the Klang intersection.
P2240021.jpg

Can't believe they intend to pour concrete over the rebar in this section. Even w/o the rebar there won't be enough depth to the concrete for it to last long.
P2240023.jpg

• Like 1

Work going on to reinforce the point on the north end with caged rip rap.
P3010073.jpg

P3010076.jpg

P3010077.jpg

P3010083.jpg

No cracks yet in the concrete pad at the Klang intersection. Typical Thai pride in workmanship, couldn't even be arsed with trimming the excess plastic off.
P3010084.jpg

I took a look at the situation at the north end of the beach on Friday (1 March).

Once upon a time there was a footpath that went around the Dusit headland, enabling you to walk to the bay beyond. Inevitably, it wasn't maintained and rotted away. I have been wondering if they would establish a beach around the headland, and thus give access to the bay again. The answer looks as though it is not in the plans. There was an intrepid guy seeing if he could walk around all the same, but was scuppered by the rocks.

DSC00884.JPG

DSC00888.JPG

DSC00890.JPG

DSC00893.JPG

And this is how it's looking outside the Thai Airways office:

DSC00879.JPG

DSC00881.JPG

DSC00880.JPG

• Like 1