Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Did I remember?!?

Still have a house in farang land. The utilities are paid automatically and I get the bills by email. A month ago, got the gas bill for October and thought it looked a bit low for a fairly cool month. Checked the bill from a year ago and the new one was over 25% lower than the year before. I remembered turning the the thermostat down before leaving in July but did I turn the heat on?? We're talking frozen pipes if I didn't. As bad as that would be I really didn't want to spend 60K+ baht to indulge paranoia. Got the November bill today and never thought I would be so glad to see my gas bill more than double.

That's a horrible feeling........ I once wondered if I'd left the air-con on in my old condo here........ Phoned from the UK to get a mate to check. I hadn't. I now have a 'to do' list when returning to the UK.

As my few remaining brain cells get more lonely the list has grown quite long over the years......

I even get my passport and c cards out the night before incase of a 'safe' malfunction.

Geez! I thought that I was the only one in the world who worries that his safe won't open! I always end up leaving it till the morning with the thought that my cash could be stolen and that it would have been a waste of time having the safe in the first place!

That's a horrible feeling........ I once wondered if I'd left the air-con on in my old condo here........ Phoned from the UK to get a mate to check. I hadn't. I now have a 'to do' list when returning to the UK.

As my few remaining brain cells get more lonely the list has grown quite long over the years......

I even get my passport and c cards out the night before incase of a 'safe' malfunction.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Many years ago I stayed at the old welcome Inn. No room safes so I kept my passport cash and ticket in the office safe like everybody else did. Night before leaving to catch the plane I made sure the manager that there would be someone around to open the safe and get my stuff out. Absolutely. 3 a.m. in the morning I'm showered and dressed head down to the reception and ask about getting my stuff. Blank stare. Taxis still an hour away take me to the airport. I thought I was where very well prepared. For the next 2 hours they chased the safe person all over Pattaya way can everybody up trying to track him down where he finally arrived at the office the taxi had been waiting for about 90 minutes and I just made it to the airport. Very very careful about safes after that!

Edited by SlipSlopSlap
  • Sad 1
On 12/8/2018 at 3:27 AM, nkped said:

Still have a house in farang land. The utilities are paid automatically and I get the bills by email. A month ago, got the gas bill for October and thought it looked a bit low for a fairly cool month. Checked the bill from a year ago and the new one was over 25% lower than the year before. I remembered turning the the thermostat down before leaving in July but did I turn the heat on?? We're talking frozen pipes if I didn't. As bad as that would be I really didn't want to spend 60K+ baht to indulge paranoia. Got the November bill today and never thought I would be so glad to see my gas bill more than double.

They now have thermostats that can be connected to wi-fi and the internet.  You can check/adjust the temperature in your house from anywhere.  Of course, that assumes you would still have wi-fi and the internet in your old house.  Anyway, broken pipes can be a mess.  Why not turn off the water to the house?  

I can always guarantee that on my way to the airport that I'll suddenly realise I've left something at home that I meant to take with me.... luckily I've always remembered my passport!!!!

1 hour ago, TheFiend said:

I can always guarantee that on my way to the airport that I'll suddenly realise I've left something at home that I meant to take with me.... luckily I've always remembered my passport!!!!

Maybe it's old age?  I can drive out of may house and, two blocks later I can't remember whether I pushed the button to close the garage door., so I have to drive around the block to go back and check.  

• 3 months later...
On 12/18/2018 at 1:36 AM, js007 said:

Maybe it's old age?  I can drive out of may house and, two blocks later I can't remember whether I pushed the button to close the garage door., so I have to drive around the block to go back and check.  

555 I'm the same js. It's got to the stage where I say out loud to myself " door closing". That seems to do the trick.... For the time being anyway. 

I have friends who are boat owners.

Everytime they leave the boat (on a swinging mooring some 3/4 mile from land) they have a physical written checklist, they one reads whilst the other does the activity, and then they wap and one reads whilst the other checks it has actually been done.

All stems from the third occasion they got back to the car, having packed the dinghy away, only to find the car keys were still on the boat, and after they'd left the battery turned on with a cabin light on, and couldn't start the engine on their next trip...

An old squash team mate has for as long as I've known him..35 years....gained a reputation for forgetting things....

Skiing......All the 'lads' gathered outside the chalet, booted and suited ready for the first lift.

Where's Willy?

I'm 'ere.

'Got everything/' 

Pats himself down.....'Yep.'

Off we go in a clatter of skis, boots and poles ......50 metres later.

"Ang on lads,' laughs 'forgot me gloves'

We wait....... gloves collected.....

"Ang on lads left me poles now...... Well I was rushing for me gloves!!  Ha ha'

OK.... that gives you an idea about Willy.....

A few years back we got into a discussion about hypnotism. Another mate Mick, clever bloke but surprisingly for me was dead against it,  said it was all bollocks. I put the point that there's a moment between being awake and being asleep that's neither. If the hypnotist can get you to that point then he can make suggestions...etc etc.

The argument carried on with no resolution until Willy pipes-up, 'I know it works..It ain't bollocks Mick.'

.We all look at him. He had the floor. 

'A couple of months back I went to one-a-them  E'ypnotist shows.......The bloke called for volunteers. My wife got me to go up....He did something that sorted out who was sus-cep-tible. About a doz' of us were. One-by-one he went along the line putting us in a state and whispering in our ears. You can see him doing all this, until he starts whispering stuff in people's ears...Everyone was acting normal......

Then he clicked his fingers.....And two blokes start dancing with each other, really smooching.....Annuver's squawking like a chicken. Annuver's on all fours barking like a dog...'

'And what did you do Willy?'

'I didn't do anything.'

'Why?'

Laughing....'I forgot what it was  'e told me!' 

Edited by atlas2
  • 3 weeks later...

checklist, checklist, checklist, checklist.

Visual, physical, secondary, final.

I work with checklists all the time and have to make them up for other people as well, so I'm used to it. Didn't stop me leaving the keys for our cases on the kitchen table in the UK when we turned up in Marina di Carrera for a family holiday though, plus our cases were all samsonite hardshells lol.

It still happens , I suppose we're more relaxed on holiday and in holiday mode so stuff might well get forgotten, but the truth is we do most of it as routine anyway, such as turning off the cooker or lights when we leave the house and locking the doors. I've turned around 15 miles away from home and gone back to check if I'd locked the doors once (I had).

I expect we're all the same, get into the Taxi for the airport and rummage through your bag to make sure your passport, ticket and money are there, despite the fact you checked it when you left the hosue, got into the car and was 10 minutes down the road 20 minutes ago... always helps to make sure. Best advice is to leave a key with a trusted neighbour so if, horrors of horrors you think you might have forgotten to turn off the A/C, heating, bathroom tap or flush the massive turd in the toilet, you can always give them a call.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Butch said:

Didn't stop me leaving the keys for our cases on the kitchen table in the UK when we turned up in Marina di Carrera for a family holiday though, plus our cases were all samsonite hardshells lol.

When I pack, and finally lock the suitcase the set of keys immediately gets put into my little travel puff-bag with passport, cash etc.  (Which itself gets checked for contents, particularly passport, umpteen times). This is set #2, set #1 gets clipped to my regular keys with one of those spring clip thingamabobs.I can't trust my memory, I can forget why I am looking in the fridge! 

Edited by jacko
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, jacko said:

When I pack, and finally lock the suitcase the set of keys immediately gets put into my little travel puff-bag with passport, cash etc.  (Which itself gets checked for contents, particularly passport, umpteen times). This is set #2, set #1 gets clipped to my regular keys with one of those spring clip thingamabobs.I can't trust my memory, I can forget why I am looking in the fridge! 

Bait?

Fishbait.jpg

I will tell you a story. My father was a keen fisherman and not adverse to keeping bait in the fridge, quite disgusting, maggots, casters (the maggot cocoon), and most disgustingly lug worms used when sea fishing. He even made his own maggots sometimes with some foul mix kept outside in summer. One day my sister's future husband stayed over for the first time and we were all up waiting as mother made that great Sunday tradition, the big fry-up breakfast. I still recall the look of abject horror when he was asked if he wanted 'worms' with his eggs and bacon!

(Worms, was what we all called, fried trimmed bacon rind, the name derived from the way it wriggled and coiled up when dropped into hot fat). 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, jacko said:

I will tell you a story. My father was a keen fisherman and not adverse to keeping bait in the fridge, quite disgusting, maggots, casters (the maggot cocoon), and most disgustingly lug worms used when sea fishing. He even made his own maggots sometimes with some foul mix kept outside in summer. One day my sister's future husband stayed over for the first time and we were all up waiting as mother made that great Sunday tradition, the big fry-up breakfast. I still recall the look of abject horror when he was asked if he wanted 'worms' with his eggs and bacon!

(Worms, was what we all called, fried trimmed bacon rind, the name derived from the way it wriggled and coiled up when dropped into hot fat). 

Nice ... in Texas one way of differentiating real fishermen and poseurs is where they keep their good bait.