Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Gatwick Airport closed for over 20 hours so far...

Not sure if already reported on the board (or even in the correct section) but someone has been flying drones in and around the approach vectors of LGW since yesterday, closing the Airport and stranding thousands of pax. Some saying it is not terror related, some speculating it might be a minor or fringe group of environmental activists and some saying it could be a couple of spotty teenagers. Either way, the Military have been called in and when the catch the perps, they'll be getting a serious stretch inside.

Threads on PPrune:

https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/616498-gatwick-drone-s.html

BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754

Pisses me off to think that some selfish shit has ruined the holidays of thousands of people just for their own agenda. I hope they really get their comeuppance.

Saw it on Sky News, a disaster for those trying to get away for Christmas. Many go visit to down under or go to Europe and vice versa. I have a pal who had to rush to UK, but had booked to fly back to Oz Saturday. He is going from Manchester but I am expecting knock on issues. There was mention of a police marksman being seen at Gatwick, but I would expect shooting in all directions to be a dangerous game even if it was UP. 

Are there not radio interference devices that can block drones?

News just now.

120,000 passengers affected. More drone activity seen and the airport still closed.

Jesus, if we can't handle a drone what sort of air defences do we have!

Edited by jacko

Hi,

Sorry for everyone held up by this. The Brits seem in a shambolic state. We need a no drone Brexit. Now.

Edited by wacmedia
8 hours ago, wacmedia said:

Hi,

Sorry for everyone held up by this. The Brits seem in a shambolic state. We need a no drone Brexit. Now.

You mean time to stop droning on about Brexit... abso-bloody-lutely!

Latest Gatwick:

Aircraft were left circling above the area during the latest alert, which came at about 17:10 GMT. Flights resumed less than 90 minutes later.

Edited by jacko
On 12/20/2018 at 9:37 PM, martini9946 said:

Max 5 years for endangering an aircraft   .......

Yes, However there is speculation of the person(s) when they are caught being charged for other offences such as reckless endangerment etc which may add to the sentence. I'm not a lawyer but I can see an example of these people being made as a pretty strong deterrent.

10 hours ago, Butch said:

Yes, However there is speculation of the person(s) when they are caught being charged for other offences such as reckless endangerment etc which may add to the sentence. I'm not a lawyer but I can see an example of these people being made as a pretty strong deterrent.

A strong deterrent would be a civil action for damages. Those involved would have to sell all current assets and maybe have future liabilities too.

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Billions said:

A strong deterrent would be a civil action for damages. Those involved would have to sell all current assets and maybe have future liabilities too.

Although if it turns out to be children would that apply. 

If they have little or no assets, it wouldn't be pursued, so a waste of time and effort and the only person gaining would be the lawyers. Even if they owned property, they could put an attachment against it for when it's sold, but that could be many many years away. They would not force you to sell it if it made you homeless or was heavily mortgaged.

Edited by keyman