Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Dynasty Inn Pattaya Soi 13 *WARNING*

For any Dynasty Inn Pattaya Soi 13 devotees, such as myself, be advised that as of December 2018 they've installed new mattresses in all the rooms. In the 15 years I've stayed there I've always found them to be quite firm to begin with but, all things considered, I was able to live with it. Now? THE NEW MATTRESSES ARE HARD AS A ROCK!

I just returned from a trip to SEA that included a stay at the Dynasty Inn in early December 2018. Upon walking to my room, after check-in, I noticed new mattresses lined up in the hallways waiting for "installation" as the housekeepers cleaned the rooms. Feeling them while they were still in the hall I judged them to be very hard and asked the manager if they could wait to install mine until my last night there(so as to try it out for one night). I'm glad I did. One of the worst nights of sleep I've ever had. If you're a "side-sleeper" STAY AWAY!  After only one night of sleeping on the new mattress it took me a week of massages in AC to get my back sorted out. If you sleep flat on your back you will still have issues unless you're comfortable sleeping on a sheet of plywood.

While checking out I expressed my concerns to the manager and asked if anyone had complained about them. She said 30% of the guests had already complained. I was surprised she had a number(30%), and told me, but she did. I've known her all 15 years.

As I'd mentioned, I'm a Dynasty Inn devotee and have been for 15 years. At least I WAS. I love(d) the place. Clean, well kept, great long-time staff, good food, perfect location. All STILL true. Now? I can't go back. The mattress is a deal breaker. It's horrible.

A lot of the staff has been there for 10-15+ years and when a few wished me well on my departure and said they looked forward to my return I got a little misty because I knew I couldn't come back. Yes, the mattress was that bad.

• Sad 2

Thanks for the warning.

I wonder why so hard a mattress is desired by management? Are the hard mattress cheaper, longer lasting, for Farang so not matter? Could be the mattress buyer grew up sleeping on hardwood floors so mattress is about same same or the 'kickback' is higher on the firmer mattress.

2 hours ago, JONPAT said:

Thanks for the warning.

I wonder why so hard a mattress is desired by management? Are the hard mattress cheaper, longer lasting, for Farang so not matter? Could be the mattress buyer grew up sleeping on hardwood floors so mattress is about same same or the 'kickback' is higher on the firmer mattress.

Dynasty Group is a, relatively, medium-large hotelier in Thailand. While talking to the manager, whom I've known for 15 years, I got a true sense that she was a little worried about the mattress complaints. The owners may have left it up to this manager to buy new mattresses and she went with the cheapest, which, in turn, also ended up being the lowest quality, mattresses available so as to look good on the bottom line. This is only MY opinion and, for her sake, I hope I'm wrong.  During this stay I noticed some renovations as well as new TV's in all the rooms so it's not like upper management is afraid to spend a little money. Someone just made a bad decision regarding the mattresses.

The mattresses that were replaced were better quality(not by much) and had been, in place, since the hotel opening about 18 years ago. Even an extra $500 per mattress, for a better quality mattress, spread out over 18 years, works out to less than 7 cents(2Baht) per night, per mattress.  Even spread over only 15 years, which is the typical longest life of a mattress, is only 9 cents per night. 7 cents(2Baht) per night equals $25(800Baht) per year, per mattress. Lose one customer, who stays 4 weeks a year(like me), and you've lost almost $1200 in revenue. That $1200 loss would have covered the EXTRA cost for ALL the better quality mattresses for 1 year. Lose two 4-week customers and the lower quality mattresses are losing you money. Lose the 30% who've complained and you've got a serious problem. What % didn't complain and won't re-book in the future?

Yeah, I put a lot of thought into it because I used to feel as though I was home while at the Dynasty. I can't fathom a ridiculous move like this. Dynasty management, unlike your typical Thai, IMO, seemed to understand that they were catering to the falang because it was the falang whom was bringing in the cash.  Not this time.

i'm the guy who complains about the soft squishy mattress but especially in Pattaya a firm mattress makes for better sex olympics.

If there is ever a town where the mattress gets a workout with jumping and bouncing it's gotta be Pattaya.

On 12/25/2018 at 4:29 PM, js007 said:

It's hard to imagine that a new mattress would be all that terrible.  I've stayed in places with the opposite problem.  Old, saggy, soft mattresses.  Not good for my back.  

No, its not. 

Our power went out one night a while back... was about 6 months or so ago now. I had just taken nyquil, and I have a really hard time sleeping without aircon... so I left it to the GF to find us a room for the night. The place she found was cheap - 700 baht for the night... place was nice enough, just what you expect from a hotel. 

But the mattress. Holy shit was it hard. Like sleeping on a slab of wood. It killed my back. I woke up after about 2-3 hours in some serious pain. Got up and went back home and slept without Aircon until the power came back on later that morning. 

Yes, there are mattresses that are way too hard to be even remotely comfortable. I hope they fix the problem. Dynasty was my favorite hotel for my first several trip here, until I found Resident Garden. I still have fond memories of the place. 

• 1 month later...

I just stayed in  the Dynasty  for a week earlier this month and didn't have any problems with the mattress, but then again I prefer a firmer mattress myself. One of my complaints is in regards to the noise level from the band in Wonderful Bar on the corner if you are in a front room, which I was for the first few days, then they kindly moved me up to one of the rooms on the top by the jacuzzi pools. I only stay here to take advantage of the free ride from the Dynasty(s) in BKK if you stay for three nights or more - this time I was the only passenger and there was no mini-van available so they sent me in a car instead, bless them. 

My main complaint - and I have told them this every time I have stayed  over the last few years - is the crappy internet; this never seems to change. Also, although my superior room was well-equipped and squeaky clean, I really don't care for these older-style rooms with all of the dark wood panelling - I much prefer the much brighter feel of more modern rooms with light-painted walls. 

The staff are great to deal with, though, and I think it's a great location. 

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 12/25/2018 at 9:29 AM, js007 said:

It's hard to imagine that a new mattress would be all that terrible.  

Course it wasn't. Guy claiming a week of massages to sort it out was comedy gold

• 1 month later...

Has anyone stayed at Dynasty Inn recently. I often stay there for a few days a I like the location but I also like my comfort. Your review would appreciated.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

I blame the so called health experts. They say a hard mattress is the best. I say they are full of shit.This old man has lots of morning pain from sleeping on a "firm"  mattress. My wife thought I was crazy for spending a LOT of money on a seven inch thick latex mattress. They have different hardness's available, I regret that I didn't order a softer one than I got.

7 hours ago, Gary said:

I blame the so called health experts. They say a hard mattress is the best. I say they are full of shit.This old man has lots of morning pain from sleeping on a "firm"  mattress. My wife thought I was crazy for spending a LOT of money on a seven inch thick latex mattress. They have different hardness's available, I regret that I didn't order a softer one than I got.

I have to agree. The points of my hips bug me on too firm a mattress and my back if it is too soft. There isn't a happy medium when travelling.

My first trip I stayed at the RGI and at that time the mattress was like a rock. I never stayed there again because there is so much lodging closer to the action.

I decided to give the Dynasty Inn another try since the the mattress upgrade and find that imho they are very similar to the ones they replaced. They are firm but I have enjoyed comfortable sleeps without pain. On a hardness rating, if a bale of cotton-wool was 1 and a table-top 10 then they would probably be a 6 or 7.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

On 6/5/2019 at 1:59 PM, Gary said:

You should try the 15" thick model, Gary.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, sexyman said:

I have a great memory of the Dynasty, licking a chicks pussy out on the balcony one night. No mattress required.

I used to do that at Pattaya Bay Resort in its early days, when the side at the back overlooked that wooded scrub land....

• 3 months later...