Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Merry Christmas from immigration.

Thanks Atlas. Following your observations about how quiet immigration was on Christmas Day I decided to do my retirememt extension today, rather than waiting until the New Year.

I arrived just before 11am and was finished after about 10 minutes. Picking up the passport tomorrow afternoon.

• Upvote 1

I was 9th in a queue having arrived about 8:15.......Went quickly .

I had all my ducks in a row...the only glitch being I'd stapled my photo.....Next year glue. I was done in about a minute.

The guy in front of me was filling his forms in at the desk holding everyone up but had to admire his nonchalance......

10 hours ago, atlas2 said:

I was 9th in a queue having arrived about 8:15.......Went quickly .

I had all my ducks in a row...the only glitch being I'd stapled my photo.....Next year glue. I was done in about a minute.

The guy in front of me was filling his forms in at the desk holding everyone up but had to admire his nonchalance......

Was it a tall thin Ozzie with scraggly white hair?

Based on your recommendation I told him to go Christmas day and he sort of told me he did, then told me it was really busy Christmas Eve. I asked him why he went Christmas Eve then, and he brushed it off saying he got photo and forms and copies done. He also got clamped as he parked in a condo building nearby which cost him 1000 baht. 

He also said he had to wait until 8.30 for them to start work on Christmas Day having arrived at 07.30, what a fool!

Edited by jacko

No, Mr Nonchalance was a Scot......He was a number that had been skipped over earlier......and he'd re-appeared with lots of last minute photocopies. His glasses on and off, pen in hand furiously scribbling info'...  handing over papers, having them quickly handed back by a patient Immigration Officer pointing out where  he needed gaps completed.

In fact of the 8 in front of me I have a good memory....And one of the first up fits your description......Though he had his white hair tied back into a fetching  little pony tail. His processing took quite a while when compared to slick and efficient yours truly. Today I've got to go and collect my passport today at two if I see him I'll pass on your comments here!.............. (Joking)

Another character was paper thin......wispy dyed Elvis hair........Another was a black bloke with an enormous head the size of a bar-stool seat, trouble walking.....He took the longest, very polite for the help he'd needed and the time he'd been given.

A couple of retirees had Thai woman partners with them. Both treating their men like helpless children. One of these couples stood out. She was all business, and dressed for the board-room........He.....was a skinny,  aged punk.... Mohican hair...chains hanging from his jeans and a walking stick.

One wrinkle I'll mention...(with the caveat that I ain't testing it myself).......I overheard one of the staff telling an applicant that the bank letter is valid for 3 days...(perhaps to allow for week-ends I'm thinking?) I'd got mine on Christmas Eve......The day before is not a problem.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable 45 mins of people watching.......Especially the gay mincing reindeer who was keeping the other staff laughing.  I noticed though that all the women called upon his expertise when it came the important business of positioning their 'Santa caps'

Lots of smiles........On Christmas Day even the otherwise dour, hard-pressed Immigration Officers who have to deal with some of the worst of falang-land's jetsam live up to Thailand's reputation. Lovely

Edited by atlas2
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
30 minutes ago, atlas2 said:

In fact of the 8 in front of me I have a good memory....And one of the first up fits your description......Though he had his white hair tied back into a fetching  little pony tail. His processing took quite a while when compared to slick and efficient yours truly. Today I've got to go and collect my passport today at two if I see him I'll pass on your comments here!......

I would be surprised he ties his hair back but he might, I could add he is 80 yo and sometimes wears one of those leather hats. I believe he got number 3. You won't see him there today as he will leave his passport until  Thursday, today he is coming to my place for some grub and yakkety yak! He is the type to have a few things confused but reported to me it all went efficiently.

He.....was a skinny,  aged punk.... Mohican hair...chains hanging from his jeans and a walking stick.

Even this guy sounds familiar, of a German guy lived around Arunothai near a friend of mine, down to the description of his partner. 

Sounds like quite the experience reminiscent of the bar scene in the first Star Wars film.

Edited by jacko
2 hours ago, atlas2 said:

One wrinkle I'll mention...(with the caveat that I ain't testing it myself).......I overheard one of the staff telling an applicant that the bank letter is valid for 3 days...(perhaps to allow for week-ends I'm thinking?) I'd got mine on Christmas Eve......The day before is not a problem.

The guy who did my letter at Kasikorn told me that immigration were only accepting letters from 1 day before.

No problem for me as I always get the letter the day before, but it's good to know that they are being as consistent as ever.

Yes...........Tallguy might bump into you today. We have met before so I'll look out for you.

Also the girl at SCB told me it had to be on the day of application. I insisted I could go within 24 hours and she sighed and shook her head. Also she said I should make a transaction while I was there. I'd never hear that before. So as advised I took out a couple of thousand and then worried that her letter and my bank-book totals didn't match exactly. Didn't seem to matter.

Jacko only one guy had snowy white hair.......However, if he's eighty he's looking good on it. Seemed in his 70s to me.

Mind you everyone looks young to me.....Even you.

Edited by atlas2
48 minutes ago, atlas2 said:

Mind you everyone looks young to me.....Even you.

I had a good compliment recently as I ran into a Thai lady I had not seen for many years  at a wedding. She said Thai men just get older, falang men get more handsome. 

3 hours ago, jacko said:

I had a good compliment recently as I ran into a Thai lady I had not seen for many years  at a wedding. She said Thai men just get older, falang men get more handsome. 

I'd like to believe that too.......But probably a serious case of tdar fang......Did you recommend her going to 'spec Savers'?

3 hours ago, atlas2 said:

I'd like to believe that too.......But probably a serious case of tdar fang......Did you recommend her going to 'spec Savers'?

Sadly, she only had one eye. obviously for me.

Muggins here also went to immigration yesterday, but for a 30 day extension to a tourist visa.

Due to a technical cockup on my part (I forgot a pen, so found a 7-11 to buy one), I arrived at 1135. It was almost deserted. 

I joined a queue of 2, fell in love with the lady at the "reception" counter, and overheard her telling those in front to come back at 1pm. Then i read the sign about last appointments  issued at 1130....

Asked the lady if I had the correct papers, and for a form, and left.

At 1435 I saw the love of my life again, who checked my paperwork, asked for my phone number, for the form not for personal reasons unfortunately (oops, white lie, I said i don't have a phone as I don't know my number),, and issued me with a ticket. I was the next in line, another lady checked my paperwork, again asked for my phone number, but wasn't concerned I didn't have one, took my money and passed my passport down the line.

I was out, with a months extension by 1452.

I might have a series of issues that will involve returning to ask the "receptionist" some detailed questions, and to offer my new found phone number...

11 hours ago, jacko said:

Sadly, she only had one eye. obviously for me.

Yes she was keeping an eye out for you........!!

You should try getting her to 'wink you off' .......That made me laugh!!

Edited by atlas2
19 hours ago, atlas2 said:

Jacko only one guy had snowy white hair.......However, if he's eighty he's looking good on it. Seemed in his 70s to me.

Well my friend confessed yesterday that he does sometimes tie his white hair back into a ponytail, so I suspect it was him you saw at immigration . Although by my evaluation his craggy looks do reveal his age. Perhaps I am relating to my own reflection, you to yours?

2 hours ago, jacko said:

Well my friend confessed yesterday that he does sometimes tie his white hair back into a ponytail, so I suspect it was him you saw at immigration . Although by my evaluation his craggy looks do reveal his age. Perhaps I am relating to my own reflection, you to yours?

I said this before ......(But that's never stopped me).....I asked a Chinese man if he called them plats or pony-tails He spat on the floor in disgust and replied, "PONEEE TAIL!!

A plat is what I put my plick in every Flyday night!!!"