Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Pictures from around Pattaya

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was on Walking Street last week, had a good time.  Doorman wouldn't let me into Pinup at 7:55 so I went over to XS for a beer, when I came back at 8:30 I was lucky to get a table in the back.  The b

A few from Tree Town and surrounds from earlier this evening.  

Sanctuary of Truth.  Admission is 500 baht.  Quite busy this afternoon.  They do try to get visitors to stay in groups (50 in our case).  I managed to get lost from the group and did my own thing taki

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

I just read on another post about a "canal" project on Second Road north of Central and its impact on soi 6.

What's that all about? Any photos are appreciated.

Just some drainage work. Started around Songkran. Looks like they are making decent progress.

25 minutes ago, tallguy said:

Just some drainage work. Started around Songkran. Looks like they are making decent progress.

Thanks. Doesn't seem like much but with all the traffic I imagine any work impacts residents and tourists.

1 hour ago, midlifecrisis said:

I just read on another post about a "canal" project on Second Road north of Central and its impact on soi 6.

What's that all about? Any photos are appreciated.

Not drainage, but part of a major project to move overhead electric and utilities underground.

Pic from 8 May north of Central Festival.
P5080014.jpg

Thanks for the explanation and the photo. How far along 2nd Rd will the project to go? One would think it's a long stretch. And then there will be disruption to power at the end. I hope they have that well thought out.

25 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

Thanks. Doesn't seem like much but with all the traffic I imagine any work impacts residents and tourists.

There is a build up of traffic going towards the lights at Second Road and Klang but not too bad with low season traffic.

13 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

Thanks for the explanation and the photo. How far along 2nd Rd will the project to go? One would think it's a long stretch. And then there will be disruption to power at the end. I hope they have that well thought out.

I believe the entire length of 2nd Rd. The article in the post I linked to has this about the scope of the project.

The roads which over time will be included in the project here in Pattaya are as follows, North Pattaya, Central Pattaya, Sukhumvit, Pattaya Sai 1 as far as Bali Hai, Pattaya Sai 2 and 3, Soi Lengki and Soi Buakhao, First Stage South Pattaya and Second Stage South Pattaya.

source: https://news.lovepattayathailand.com/local/work-begin-burying-electrical-cables-pattaya-february-19/

9 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I believe the entire length of 2nd Rd. The article in the post I linked to has this about the scope of the project.

The roads which over time will be included in the project here in Pattaya are as follows, North Pattaya, Central Pattaya, Sukhumvit, Pattaya Sai 1 as far as Bali Hai, Pattaya Sai 2 and 3, Soi Lengki and Soi Buakhao, First Stage South Pattaya and Second Stage South Pattaya.

source: https://news.lovepattayathailand.com/local/work-begin-burying-electrical-cables-pattaya-february-19/

I got a chuckle. How many western guys have taken photos of rats nests of wires, etc and Bill Gates posts a picture and it gets money allocated to fixing it.

It will likely be a long project when you count the length of the streets mentioned plus the other cities. It seems to me 230 million baht might not be enough for all of that but local expats would have a better feel for the money angle.

On 6/25/2019 at 12:37 AM, jacko said:

OOps, 'scheduled maintenance is required'..... Thailand don't do maintenance. If it works, don't fix it, if it's broken, it's too late. 

Sounds like somewhere we both know.  I wonder if MBS has changed that (for another thread.......).

Not my field at all (no surprise there), but interesting to read people's input :thumbup

Edited by capdagde

Today's task at the Easy R-Con open sewer  project, hook up the outflow drain to the Buakhao storm water system.
P6270002.jpg

Wonder what the black, plastic pipe will be used for. Still don't know what the two smaller outflow holes were for, but no matter, they've now been backfilled with sand. Hope they remembered to plug the holes first.
P6270003.jpg

Form now in place for concreting the top of the inflow drain. The worksite is quite a mess on this end.
P6270006.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Is the idea that storm water from the nearby soi's will flow into the box before flowing out of the large pipe to reduce flooding of the nearby soi's? 

If so, I don't think that it'll work. 

The volume of water coming in has the potential to be greater than the volume able to flow from the outlet pipe. It will just fill up and come up through the grating on the top. 

1 minute ago, knortyboy said:

Is the idea that storm water from the nearby soi's will flow into the box before flowing out of the large pipe to reduce flooding of the nearby soi's? 

The volume of water coming in has the potential to be greater than the volume able to flow from the outlet pipe. It will just fill up and come up through the grating on the top. 

It should also remove debris that would cause blockages downstream. That is the theory....

9 minutes ago, knortyboy said:

Note also how there's a slight uphill climb in that last section of concrete pipe. Wouldn't be surprised if the outflow becomes an inflow into the box when the Buakhao floods.

On 12/28/2018 at 5:03 PM, js007 said:

I'd add some pics, but all my pics of Pattaya are old.  Some from 2006 and some from around 2010-2011.  I guess I should use my camera more.  Next time I'm back, I'll try to take more pics.  If nothing else, I guess I'll always have my phone in my pocket.  Those kind of pics are better than nothing, I guess.

I've read several articles stating some phone cameras are even better than some DSLR cameras.

Most of the time I also forget about my phone camera.

On 12/29/2018 at 7:50 AM, jacko said:

If it is sand they would do better getting it back onto the beach!

Sorry.     That makes too much sense

6 minutes ago, 9cisco999 said:

I've read several articles stating some phone cameras are even better than some DSLR cameras.

Yea, the phone cameras seem to do a pretty good job, for what they are.  And I always have one with me.  Maybe a dslr would do a better job in low light?  

10 minutes ago, 9cisco999 said:

Picture wise cell phones take good photos but they are not as easy to use for taking serious photos nor do they have the functionality. At least my Samsung. For roaming around in daylight, I prefer my point and shoot with a viewfinder.

I noticed they have cemented the concrete pipes together, handy for when the ground beneath them settles and all the joints crack and break, also not accounting for the heavy traffic running over it plus the added weight of water / debris running through.

I'm no civil engineer, but from my very limited knowledge, awkward bends and angles are either designed out of a plan, or if no other option available, they come pre formed as one piece and that only as a last resort.

Edited by Butch
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Butch said:

I'm no civil engineer, but from my very limited knowledge, awkward bends and angles are either designed out of a plan, or if no other option available, they come pre formed as one piece and that only as a last resort.

Sadly I agree. It was a huge amount of effort and certainly incontinence, done in a shabby, poorly finished way. It looked more like  where a bomb had hit than a construction site.

7 hours ago, jacko said:

Sadly I agree. It was a huge amount of effort and certainly incontinence, done in a shabby, poorly finished way. It looked more like  where a bomb had hit than a construction site.

You're probably right. ?

20 minutes ago, knortyboy said:

You're probably right. ?

Should have been inconvenience but that works good too!

It's amazing yet sad to see these men and women working heavy construction in nothing more than slippers/sandals/flip flops on their feet and no hard hat on their head.  The western world is still half a century ahead of Thailand in terms of safety and working conditions.