Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Pictures from around Pattaya

51 minutes ago, elche said:

It's amazing yet sad to see these men and women working heavy construction in nothing more than slippers/sandals/flip flops on their feet and no hard hat on their head.  The western world is still half a century ahead of Thailand in terms of safety and working conditions.

Typical westerner! Tourist!

I suggest you stay home with your judgemental western "we know best" attitude.

The more Thailand becomes the west, the less reason there will be to go.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was on Walking Street last week, had a good time.  Doorman wouldn't let me into Pinup at 7:55 so I went over to XS for a beer, when I came back at 8:30 I was lucky to get a table in the back.  The b

A few from Tree Town and surrounds from earlier this evening.  

Sanctuary of Truth.  Admission is 500 baht.  Quite busy this afternoon.  They do try to get visitors to stay in groups (50 in our case).  I managed to get lost from the group and did my own thing taki

Posted Images

Today's update on the Easy R-Con open sewer project. Looks like the black piping is for some kind of system that makes use of the two smaller holes.
P6290001.jpg

P6290002.jpg

I'm not sure, but the black pipe poking out from under Buakhao looks like it taps into the city water system. Maybe they plan on syphoning off the "clean" storm water into the city's water system. <joking>
P6290008.jpg

P6290006.jpg

Back in April I snapped a pic of the project board. It didn't make much sense at the time as the project was still a muddy, water filled hole in the ground. Now that the box is completed I can match up the overhead view in the design to what they built. You can see the concrete piping in the upper right of the design, and below that, piping that utilizes the two smaller holes. The mystery deepens as to their function; perhaps a freshwater system to aid in the removal of accumulated debris?
Screen Shot 06-29-19 at 02.46 PM.JPG

And at the other end, a fresh load of sand to help cover up all the construction debris.
P6290009.jpg

P6290010.jpg

According to the drawings, the two small holes are connected via two check valves and shutoff valves to two submersible pumps. Doesn't show where the outlet goes to. Maybe is used to empty the sump of water to make it easier to clean, not sure.

5 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

Uncalled for comment. Your post is more judgemental of him than he is of Thailand. 

KM

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
2 hours ago, DP Gumbypgh said:

According to the drawings, the two small holes are connected via two check valves and shutoff valves to two submersible pumps. Doesn't show where the outlet goes to. Maybe is used to empty the sump of water to make it easier to clean, not sure.

That would make sense, having a system to empty the sump before cleaning. This pic has the two shutoff valves. Could be the other two blue things are the check valves.
P6290006.jpg

force,

I get a sense from the (great btw) photos that the top of the tank is higher than the previous street level. It could be just camera angle but to my eye it appears that the bottom of the lowest step, which I think was at street level, might now be below the top of the tank.

Is that just my eyes playing tricks on me? If not, how is water channeled away from the shop entrances?

Also, you made a comment about debris being covered up rather than cleaned up. Will this impact the paving at a future date?

This has been an excellent photo essay. I hope you will do more in the future.

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

force,

I get a sense from the (great btw) photos that the top of the tank is higher than the previous street level. It could be just camera angle but to my eye it appears that the bottom of the lowest step, which I think was at street level, might now be below the top of the tank.

Is that just my eyes playing tricks on me? If not, how is water channeled away from the shop entrances?

Also, you made a comment about debris being covered up rather than cleaned up. Will this impact the paving at a future date?

This has been an excellent photo essay. I hope you will do more in the future.

Thanks. Never imagined when I snapped the first photo of a smelly hole in the soi on 24 February that this project would drag on for as long as it has. If I had it would have been worthy of its own thread.

How they'll work the top of the box into the existing road surface and accommodate entrances to surrounding businesses is another mystery of this project.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Thanks. Never imagined when I snapped the first photo of a smelly hole in the soi on 24 February that this project would drag on for as long as it has. If I had it would have been worthy of its own thread.

How they'll work the top of the box into the existing road surface and accommodate entrances to surrounding businesses is another mystery of this project.

I look forward to finding out!

20 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

It sounds as though you have a hate on for the western world and anything it represents.  If that is the case, you should be living in a third world country.  And I'm not sure how wearing safety clothing is related to the tourist industry.  Please explain, will you?

They're now backfilling around the Easy R-Con open sewer project. Sure hope they're going to use more than just sand as a road base.
P6300002.jpg

Wonder if they'll move the garbage can, or just bury it.
P6300003.jpg

With the backfill in place you get an idea of how the new road surface level will impact the businesses on either side.
P6300006.jpg

I'm leaving Pattaya for a five day holiday. Hopefully others walking around the area over the next couple of days can post pics of the progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The food court at the Second Road end of the basement of Central Festival mall will be closing today.

20190630_150048.jpg

20190630_150116.jpg

It is moving / has moved to the Beach Road end, next to Micky D's.

20190630_145851.jpg

I suspect shortly a larger area will be open than is currently the case.

20190630_145939.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, elche said:

It sounds as though you have a hate on for the western world and anything it represents.  If that is the case, you should be living in a third world country.  And I'm not sure how wearing safety clothing is related to the tourist industry.  Please explain, will you?

Not true. I am simply not an arrogant westerner that thinks they have to be like us. I go there because it is different.

The Thais accept a level of risk that has been mostly legislated away in the west. When I was a kid, you could ride in the back of a pickup. Today you get a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt. In Thailand I have seen and entire family on a motorbike.

I don't pity them or condemn them for being different. I trust in them to sort things out for themselves.

I apologize for being overly harsh before.

Edited by midlifecrisis
  • Upvote 1

Thais can certainly do civil engineering.  The Sukhumvit-Klang underpass is an example.  Getting it right in a particular instance may be another matter.

On 6/29/2019 at 6:05 PM, forcebwithu said:

That would make sense, having a system to empty the sump before cleaning. This pic has the two shutoff valves. Could be the other two blue things are the check valves.

Yes they are.

It's been six days since I last checked in on the Easy R-Con open sewer project status. First thing I noticed is they added another concrete box on the Buakhao end.
P7060008.jpg

Looks like the addition is where the shutoff valves will reside.
P7060011.jpg

And a good guess is this section of pipe
P7060012.jpg

will be going here.
P7060013.jpg

Other end of the box they're working on the support framework for the sewer grates.
P7060014.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Reported yesterday on social media a truck backed into a hole on Klang.
P7070009.jpg

Pics of the site from this afternoon, truck has been rescued.

Edited to add: Just noticed this is a different truck and a different part of Klang than where the truck fell into the hole yesterday.
P7070012.jpg
P7070010.jpg

And as long as I was in the area, here's a few more of the underground cable work on Klang.
P7070002.jpg
P7070005.jpg

In the pic below you can just make out the hole they drilled through the sand to pull the conduit through. Seems to me that will also make a good path for rain water, and if so I wouldn't be surprised if there is erosion of the subsurface and subsequent collapse of the road above.
P7070008.jpg

Whereas on 2nd Rd they're digging a trench, laying down concrete raceways and filling with concrete.
P7070019.jpg
P7070021.jpg
P7070027.jpg

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great pics FBWU, the driver of that truck probably shit his pants. It's not your normal or regular recovery job. Probably needed to be craned out

"Somchai, we've got a job for you"

"OK boss, I'll get the tow rope ready"

"Yeah...good luck with that".

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Butch said:

Great pics FBWU, the driver of that truck probably shit his pants. It's not your normal or regular recovery job. Probably needed to be craned out

"Somchai, we've got a job for you"

"OK boss, I'll get the tow rope ready"

"Yeah...good luck with that".

You're right about needing a crane. Social media had another pic of the operation to extract the truck.
66045095_477180523032962_7524603001160335360_n.jpg

• Like 1

Someone must have brought the hammer down on the guys working on the Easy R-Con open sewer project. They were working well into the night last night. The Y pipe seemed to be the focus of their attention.
48263077282_11dde1b511_b.jpg

When I saw them cutting a pipe fitting in half they had made a couple of days ago, thought this can't be good.
48263005251_904cb0edc2_b.jpg
48263005106_af4cbddba1_b.jpg

And today we see the results of last night's work. Note all the welded sections they needed to get the Y pipe to connect to the shutoff valves.
48262941051_81fcb653e6_b.jpg
48263116307_64554a6964_b.jpg
48263010492_46c205082a_b.jpg

Concrete road has been poured on the sides of the box.
48263010912_b638950b83_b.jpg

Building on the northside is getting a new step.
48262940541_2bb178d87f_b.jpg

I hadn't noticed the project sign before until a BM pointed it out.
48262940476_841d650790_b.jpg

I ran it through Google translate and this is what the app spit out as a translation.
Construction work, contractor work, construction period, parcel inspection committee, own town hall, Pattaya Rd. North Pattaya, Na Kluea Subdistrict, Banglamung District, Chonburi 20260 (038) 371-123 Construction of a well-drained pond in Soi Soi Kasem Yuwan (Soi Melon). Construction is low. ML size 7.00 hrs. 60. Number of cribs, installation of rainwater pumping, rate of type 2, extension of electric field with installation of transformer and 1 number of ports Prosper Solution Co., Ltd. (Head Office), Khlong Lam Chaak Road, Nuan Chan Subdistrict, Bueng Kum District, Bangkok 24230, starting on November 24, 2018. The period ended on May 22, 2019 for 180 days. Sanitation Technician 1. Field Kasama Girls Anantaya's activities. 3. Mr. Phairat Buranasil, Head of Design and Control of Drainage System Construction 4. Mr. Anawat Kaewboonrit, Senior Mechanical Engineer, Mr. Wachara Lumsap, Drawing Technician I Harn Work | 1. Mr. Maddaphat 5 Wanphaiboon Civil Engineer, Operation Kornkorn Paisarnwattanaphan, Civil Engineer, Operation 3. Hai Nat Lueangprasert, Civil Engineer Work 4. Mr. R The farmers aiming to inform the chief engineer, senior engineer with a Ouija 1. "The Bourne 097-348-493 well that the wearing of Engineering Contractors AVI CLAMIA.

• Like 3