Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Pictures from around Pattaya

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was on Walking Street last week, had a good time.  Doorman wouldn't let me into Pinup at 7:55 so I went over to XS for a beer, when I came back at 8:30 I was lucky to get a table in the back.  The b

A few from Tree Town and surrounds from earlier this evening.  

Sanctuary of Truth.  Admission is 500 baht.  Quite busy this afternoon.  They do try to get visitors to stay in groups (50 in our case).  I managed to get lost from the group and did my own thing taki

Posted Images

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Before and after pics of the wire cleanup at Chaos Corner. From earlier in the week
50242678943_23c395b4f9_h.jpg

And today. Still a hell of a lot of wire for maybe six or so utility services in Pattaya.
50257731132_90aa38fa00_h.jpg

And speaking of today, looks like no tomorrows for Today Bar on Soi Lengkee.
50256886803_b60ea40e29_h.jpg

Spotted only one lonely parasailing customer this morning.
50257545791_bb3f527017_h.jpg

Sabai Lodge has demolished the strip of rooms in the back.
50257572286_0360db96b4_h.jpg

It amazes me that more guys working on that spaghetti don't get electrocuted. How the hell do they know what cable goes where and which ones are not live?

Hats off to them, massively dangerous work.

Just now, Britboy said:

How the hell do they know what cable goes where and which ones are not live?

Because they started stripping the cables down beginning from the power source ......???

Sorry - I must be drunk - I forgot where I was then !!! 

45 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

Because they started stripping the cables down beginning from the power source ......???

Sorry - I must be drunk - I forgot where I was then !!! 

I doubt there's a single power source, that would be too logical . . 

• Haha 1
Just now, forcebwithu said:

As for determining which cables are active, they have test equipment they can place near a cable to detect if there's a signal

Indeed they do...Which interestingly enough measures the same magnetic force that must have caused a tremendous amount of longditudinal induction of noise into the unbalanced cables installed next to them ( but not fibre of course)... I still remember Maxwell's right hand rule from Secondary Modern school 50 years ago....!!!! I was lucky enough to be educated in UK so it was easy to remember his left hand rule was for motors because we drive on the left......Must have been confusing for a 14 year old kid in Europe/The States though ....

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Bullfrog said:

Indeed they do...Which interestingly enough measures the same magnetic force that must have caused a tremendous amount of longditudinal induction of noise into the unbalanced cables installed next to them ( but not fibre of course)... I still remember Maxwell's right hand rule from Secondary Modern school 50 years ago....!!!! I was lucky enough to be educated in UK so it was easy to remember his left hand rule was for motors because we drive on the left......Must have been confusing for a 14 year old kid in Europe/The States though ....

I had forgotten about Maxwell's right hand rule. Learned that in a high school physics class. Always enjoyed the hard science classes.

RIGHT HAND THUMB RULE

Always enjoyed the hard science classes

Not only did I enjoy science but I enjoyed languages, sports and school dinners ... especially sprouts!!!!

But isn't that Flemings and not Maxells you have shown....It is 50 years ago  so I am almost certainly wrong.. Maxwell // first finger field , second finger current , thumb motion..

Edited by Bullfrog
2 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

There are mnemonic helpers for every situation or nobody would pass any science class. Some of it is just plain old memorization. See forcebwithu above.

16 hours ago, Britboy said:

It amazes me that more guys working on that spaghetti don't get electrocuted. How the hell do they know what cable goes where and which ones are not live?

Hats off to them, massively dangerous work.

It is pretty easy to recognoze the power cables, they are also (usually) higher up the poles. The home level voltage ones are insulated cables too, although I would not be wanting to handle them. On the pics it lookes like HV cables are there running at the very top.... with  the pot insulators. Need to steer well clear of those. Not a great deal of improvement for their efforts there, a couple of years and you can bet they will all be back and then some. 5G is supposed to eliminate the need for all these eventually, but we will still need power cables. Key the 2021 project, burying those down soi Buakhao, followed by a drainage project soon after.

Edited by jacko
51 minutes ago, jacko said:

It is pretty easy to recognoze the power cables, they are also (usually) higher up the poles. The home level voltage ones are insulated cables too, although I would not be wanting to handle them. On the pics it lookes like HV cables are there running at the very top.... with  the pot insulators. Need to steer well clear of those. Not a great deal of improvement for their efforts there, a couple of years and you can bet they will all be back and then some. 5G is supposed to eliminate the need for all these eventually, but we will still need power cables. Key the 2021 project, burying those down soi Buakhao, followed by a drainage project soon after.

The top wires on the big insulators are the high voltage "primary" wires, and these high voltages are stepped down through transformers - the metal cans or boxes you see mounted on the poles, or sometimes on the  ground behind fences - to the "secondary" wires, which serve the homes and buildings. Pretty well all of the wires I've seen in Pattaya are insulated, even the primary wires which are never insulated in my country although our secondary wires are always insulated.  Generally the primary stuff in Thailand seems to be well done but the secondary can be pretty messy. I've seen plenty of poor connections in my walks around - here is a high voltage "tap" connection, which probably hasn't been tightened properly, doing its best to burn its way through the wire it is connected to. 

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

16 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

Not only did I enjoy science but I enjoyed languages, sports and school dinners ... especially sprouts!!!!

But isn't that Flemings and not Maxells you have shown....It is 50 years ago  so I am almost certainly wrong.. Maxwell // first finger field , second finger current , thumb motion..

Fleming's Left And Right Hand Thumb Rules Explained

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Slow progress on the new market next to Nirun.
50373962241_778d8f9858_h.jpg

J Club is closed, but the pouring of a new concrete pad makes me wonder if something new in the location will be coming soon.
50373262083_f10533a7a7_b.jpg

Next door on Soi Love Inn, more planters going in.
50373262218_e090dacdbe_h.jpg

50374125107_2d376111e9_h.jpg

50374125057_bac2e72984_h.jpg

50373262073_e624e3ae5a_h.jpg

Xzyte Food Center progress update
50374124982_726f8d5450_h.jpg

50373962206_aa05db11a4_h.jpg

50373262303_2faad4612c_h.jpg

50374125257_5393a2db9d_h.jpg

50373262223_835ed53ab7_h.jpg

50374125242_6e3b185f8d_h.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Next door on Soi Love Inn, more planters going in.

Bloody Hell, they've been working hard there. I walked up there after doing my visa extension 2 weeks ago and can see a significant progress....

From the photos I get the impression that they let you in passed the gate !! 

37 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

Bloody Hell, they've been working hard there. I walked up there after doing my visa extension 2 weeks ago and can see a significant progress....

From the photos I get the impression that they let you in passed the gate !! 

The gate was open, so quickly snapped a couple of pics from just inside. Then rode my bike over to the back corner where they were eating, showed my camera and asked photo, ok mai? They gave me the thumbs up,  so all was good.

• Upvote 2

The gate was open, so quickly snapped a couple of pics from just inside. Then rode my bike over to the back corner where they were eating, showed my camera and asked photo, ok mai? They gave me the thumbs up,  so all was good.

Dedication to the cause !!!!

• Thanks 1