Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I don't recall ever experiencing such bad air pollution anywhere anytime as I have done in Pattaya recently.  Try looking out to sea, or just at the Waterfront eyesore, and you can see the smog.

I went to Central Marina at the top of Second Road this afternoon. The air was seriously dirty; I had to get down to Beach Road ASAP.

We've had a little rain this evening. We need a lot more to try to clean up the air. 

No consolation but in Bangkok it seems to be even worse - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361030

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those that might be interested in how effective air purifiers are, here's a mini review of the Sharp FP-F3061-C that I've been using in my home office for a little over four years now. What prompt

To me the remarkable thing is dramatic improvement can be made in air quality and general well being. When i was a young kid the sides of main roads and interstate highways were littered with a foot o

This morning's efforts.  

Posted Images

Two of the best sensors  in Pattaya....ie.... my fucking nostrils have unwittingly been on top of this for a few years. Just I didn't know it or take it seriously when an ENT Dr at Pattaya International told me I was, 'peir pollution' (allergic).  Some of you may recall the tv camera 'Buntline Special' stuck up my nose report last year.

Well since Sept and the winding down of the rain It's hit again.......My nostrils never lie.

Here's some photos which I'll explain.

The first is the worst of the regular reading sent me by a retired Dr who has the hand held monitor.........This was some weeks ago......I checked the air quality in the City of London at the same moment and the PM 10s there were only 9. 

The 2nd photo he sent was of the readings in his condo......Directly above his air purifier.....

The 3rd photo is outside my gym yesterday

And the last is the machine in my condo.......I'm a convert. I bought an air purifier.....22,000 baht. Worth it to me to have two functional nostrils, at least while I'm home. An hour or so outside doesn't get to me all that much, but If I take exercise outside I'll wear a proper mask.

IMG_4066.JPG

IMG_4068.JPG

IMG_4103.JPG

IMG_4087.JPG

I got it on Monday it took about 3 nights to get my sinuses back to 95% normal.........Such a relief.

Below is snot for the squeamish........A photo from last year after a morning blow!!  It was like an alien was living inside my nose........This morning nothing. 

Thank you Nasonex, (daily steroid spray non harmful)......Thank you Regular Sinus rinsing........But mostly Thank you to Daikin's air purifier.

PS I do have a scary snot story......But it's Christmas

IMG_1774.JPG

Edited by atlas2

I've tried a doz' air quality apps......Pattaya always sits between the Chonburi and the Rayong readings or sometimes the Lam Chabang monitor........They never reflect how bad or good it actually is here.....Or I suspect at those places. It's easy enough to have a monitor positioned here.......I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't site one in a popular tourist destination.......Don't answer that.

35 minutes ago, atlas2 said:

I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't site one in a popular tourist destination.......Don't answer that.

A little like the radio announcement of the temperature when I was driving to or from work in Phoenix, to them 99 degF, while my car proudly displayed a few over 100.

I dread to think what I am breathing in waiting at a red light in town, the smoke belching coach exhaust pointing my way, the blank zombie faces above staring down at me, the baht bus arrogantly spitting my way, and I am more concerned of the silky legs on display. I start to feel short winded often, would a face mask do anything? A Darth Vader helmet is likely what I need. or a Hazmat suit.

Edited by jacko
17 minutes ago, jacko said:

A little like the radio announcement of the temperature when I was driving to or from work in Phoenix, to them 99 degF, while my car proudly displayed a few over 100.

I dread to think what I am breathing in waiting at a red light in town, the smoke belching coach exhaust pointing my way, the blank zombie faces above staring down at me, the baht bus arrogantly spitting my way, and I am more concerned of the silky legs on display. I start to feel short winded often, would a face mask do anything? A Darth Vader helmet is likely what I need. or a Hazmat suit.

N95 rating would help a lot...79 baht from Fascino......

This PM 2 thing means the particles so small they will get into the blood stream........Can cause really terminal problems. The PM 10s are the larger particles that give make your eyes itch or get up the sinuses lungs etc.

If I was on a bike I'd definitely consider it's better to look like a pratt than suck it all in.

Though for me with a mask on I look less like a pratt.

Edited by atlas2
13 minutes ago, atlas2 said:

N95 rating would help a lot...79 baht from Fascino......

Thanks, I appreciate that. Big Fascino on Nua? Do you wash these things now and again or chuck them away and buy new? Any idea how long they are good for? I have avoided full face helmets because they are hot and get sweaty, but this is concerning me lately. I always feel worst the evening or next day after having been riding he bike around town a lot.

Edited by jacko
1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Thanks for the great info.  Had a look at the makerspace site and they mention that if your country does not appear, then notify them for it to be added.  I might be missing something here, but I looked all over their pages and links and could not find an email address anywhere...  Any ideas?

5 minutes ago, Barhop said:

Thanks for the great info.  Had a look at the makerspace site and they mention that if your country does not appear, then notify them for it to be added.  I might be missing something here, but I looked all over their pages and links and could not find an email address anywhere...  Any ideas?

I found their FB page which you can use to contact them. Strange they didn't think to put a FB link on their website, had to use Google to find it.
https://www.facebook.com/makerspaceth/

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

I found their FB page which you can use to contact them. Strange they didn't think to put a FB link on their website, had to use Google to find it.
https://www.facebook.com/makerspaceth/

Thanks yet again.  A few things here, I do not and will not ever use FB and if they are too lazy to add an email link then zero business from me.   Cheers.

On 12/29/2018 at 1:13 AM, jacko said:

Thanks, I appreciate that. Big Fascino on Nua? Do you wash these things now and again or chuck them away and buy new? Any idea how long they are good for? I have avoided full face helmets because they are hot and get sweaty, but this is concerning me lately. I always feel worst the evening or next day after having been riding he bike around town a lot.

Jacko the ones we use have an "8 hour" rating on them of either continuous or intermittent use, but it's the general concensus that it all depends upon the conditions you are using them in, for anti pollution measures I'd think that double the lifespan is probably applicable.

Not wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs, but make sure you have a good seal around your boat race when wearing them or you defeat the object.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Butch said:

Jacko the ones we use have an "8 hour" rating on them of either continuous or intermittent use, but it's the general concensus that it all depends upon the conditions you are using them in, for anti pollution measures I'd think that double the lifespan is probably applicable.

Not wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs, but make sure you have a good seal around your boat race when wearing them or you defeat the object.

And it helps to be clean shaven as well when you wear a mask for respiratory protection. With having to wear respiratory protection at work I have to pass a test every so often and they refuse to do the test if you have stubble as it affects the seal.

1 hour ago, atlas2 said:

My app which I don’t have complete trust in says improvement from Tuesday. But not into the green. 

Which app is that, please? 

Because I seem to get some sort of terrible cough every time I'm in Pattaya, I once did a web search to figure out the supposed air quality.  Anyway, I found a website that had air quality ratings for cities all over the world.  Pattaya didn't exactly rank in the acceptable range.  Phuket air quality, on the other hand, was just fine.  I'll be back in a month or so and I'm probably going to give Pattaya another chance.  But I really can't live somewhere where I spend every day coughing.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Bazle said:

Which app is that, please? 

AirVisual.......I've tried a doz this one at least gives an international league table......... 

• Thanks 2

My son, who's here on his way back to uni' in Oz, brought with him the 'Temtop' air monitor I ordered from Amazon UK.....(Much cheaper than through LAZADA Thailand). My apartment's readings this morning....... taken  6m away from my air-purifier and bare -in-mind my air-con sucks in dirty air and that  therefore my condo isn't ever 'air-tight'  .... were PM2s.5.3......PM10s 8.3.........

Happily my 'pea-shooter' concurs with these, in the 'GREEN' levels........

Pleased with my expensive air-purifier...........Worth it to me.

I'll have a little play around with my monitor outside today......Give you a Jomtien report. 

1 hour ago, atlas2 said:

My son, who's here on his way back to uni' in Oz, brought with him the 'Temtop' air monitor I ordered from Amazon UK.....(Much cheaper than through LAZADA Thailand). My apartment's readings this morning....... taken  6m away from my air-purifier and bare -in-mind my air-con sucks in dirty air and that  therefore my condo isn't ever 'air-tight'  .... were PM2s.5.3......PM10s 8.3.........

Happily my 'pea-shooter' concurs with these, in the 'GREEN' levels........

Pleased with my expensive air-purifier...........Worth it to me.

I'll have a little play around with my monitor outside today......Give you a Jomtien report. 

I decided to put the air purifier I had offered for sale back into service. Made a noticeable difference in my home office, so glad I didn't sell it.