Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

I decided to put the air purifier I had offered for sale back into service. Made a noticeable difference in my home office, so glad I didn't sell it.

Great.......Thanks for that offer though.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those that might be interested in how effective air purifiers are, here's a mini review of the Sharp FP-F3061-C that I've been using in my home office for a little over four years now. What prompt

To me the remarkable thing is dramatic improvement can be made in air quality and general well being. When i was a young kid the sides of main roads and interstate highways were littered with a foot o

This morning's efforts.  

Posted Images

Highish today........My monitor and app actually agree. In my condo 13.1 pm2 right now........Switched on my Air purifier 20 mins ago. it's come down from about 30 in that time...... Stood on my balcony and up to 96 pm2s in seconds. My app says 102 today.

3 hours ago, atlas2 said:

Gonna be very high next few days.....

Well, be careful driving!

14 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

This article obviously ignored air quality when compiling the ranking of healthiest cities in the world. Pattaya was no. 4 and Chiang Mai no. 2.
https://www.travelsupermarket.com/en-gb/holidays/healthiest-cities-in-the-world/

Just goes to show.......

I watch the tennis players at my club sucking it in...............when the air is hazardous ...........Even inside the  gym readings are high. I  get a running machine as far away from the door as I can........And don't run anymore. Brisk walking is my limit.

It seems that with my air purifier working at home and through the night my pea-shooter can deal with being outside when I need to without a problem. Such a relief.

Today's the first time ( according to my app and my recent interest) that London is up there with Pattaya.

The league table of worst cities are in India, Pakistan, China.......More than double the shit in the air here. For them Pattaya is a Spar.  

After having spent 2 days in London travelling around, I concur, it is filthy. After the first day of being outside from 09:00 until about 22:00, we headed back to the hotel for a good shower, I wiped my face with a wet wipe and it turned grey where I'd wiped it. My daughter washed her hair and called me into the shower, a few brown rings of dirt in the foam were easily visible, gives and idea of just how much shit we breathe in on a daily basis.

I was really glad to get home, we live rurally and the air is clean, not far from the coast either. I don't expect Manila to be rating very high on the clean air quality index either.

I bought one of those face masks and am wearing it when on the bike heading into town lately. But last week, one evening at rush hour (6pm), I was sat at a small eating place on the junction of Hwy 36 and Sukhumvit and probably breathed in more bad stuff than I had all week. You could very much see it in the air in the usual Thai driving confusion at modern style junctions , coaches in and out of town mixed with double trailer trucks heading between Laem Chabang and Rayong. This place is in for a lot of health issues relating to polluted air!

I live out of town but the proximity of Hwy 36 and Sukhumvit is doing me no favours.

Edited by jacko

Up here in the boonies of Loei province, one would think the air would be pretty clean. It is good most of the time but this time of year many farmers burn the leaves off sugar cane. I get up in the mornings and see black ash all over everything. There really is no good valid reason to burn the cane. If the government would forbid the burning, farmers would probably still burn it. The easy sure way to stop this is for the sugar mills to simply refuse to buy burnt cane. The government could easily enforce that. Burning would be totally eliminated. Hopefully the government should realize this and pass the law.

People like to blame diesels but the fact is that modern diesels run quite clean. Anything that emits black smoke needs to be properly repaired or taken off the roads. These old vehicles are supposed to be inspected every year to get licensed. Unfortunately a small bribe to the people doing the inspection will allow any vehicle to pass.   

• 2 weeks later...

Schools closed in Bangkok........

Kids off until 3rd Feb apparently........

I've started to become a bit neurotic about this.........It's not the PM2.5s.....They'll get in your lungs and blood and kill you.....But it takes a while......It's the fucking PM10s that will almost instantly affect my quality of life and make me suffer ..... until the PM2.5s finish me off.

That is it would, had I not bought my air-purifier......(bless it)....Best 22,000 baht I've spent.

I've discovered that my nose can cope with say, half a day of breathing shit as long as when I'm home I stick my air-purifier on full blast for 40 mins and  bring levels of pollutants that have seeped in under the door down to good levels.....And keep the purifier ticking over at low fan all night. I wake up next day fresh as a daisy and ready for sucking in lungfuls of shit in the gym, a shag somewhere and a meal out by which time my nostrils have had enough.

Here I am it's 15:30 something and my day is done.

Still it's a good thing to pace yourself..

But like....... I've got a girl coming down from Korat....and I would normally get a nice hotel and shag her brains out. But I have a little hand --held monitor. 99 GB pounds from Amazon.

I now know that levels inside the poshest and roughest of hotels that might be girl-friendly are not nostril friendly.......And I'm going to embarrass myself getting all snotted-up.

The pollution levels are serious. Really! Pattaya doesn't have it's own monitor....I wonder why? Have to go on Chonburi Lam Chabang and Rayon......

You should all, if not warn your mates at least inform them that the rainy season is the better bet.

I can't wait for the downpours..........

PS I don't put my air-con on as much these days and saved 500 bt this month.....Bloody air-purifier will have paid for itself in no time.

Edited by atlas2
49 minutes ago, atlas2 said:

The pollution levels are serious. Really! Pattaya doesn't have it's own monitor....I wonder why? Have to go on Chonburi Lam Chabang and Rayon......

You should all, if not warn your mates at least inform them that the rainy season is the better bet.

The Pollution Watch Thailand FB page referenced in earlier posts does a good job of providing daily PM2.5 readings from the Pratumnak and other Pattaya areas. Below is a post with this morning's readings. I'm with you on wishing for rain. Thought we might get a bit of shower today, but now it's looking less likely.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, atlas2 said:

I now have 2 friends suffering from breathing related problems. One, like me, lives 12km out of town, you would think that an advantage. Hell no, I live near the junction of Hwy 36 and Sukhmvit, The heavy traffic going between Rayong and Laem Chabang (think Port) passes not far from my door. I dare not measure for fear of learning! Both these friends have spent time in hospitals in ICU.... 

Hoping for rain, well we got a splash of it yesterday, but in reality would not expect much until after Songkran! We have the heat of March and the equinox to come. 

Edited by jacko

It doesn't often happen but my AirVisual air quality app........and my own monitor concur....almost. 92 on the app and 98 on my monitor.

So 'moderate' on the app...'unhealthy for sensitive groups' on my tamtop monitor.

Looks murky though.

4 hours ago, jacko said:

I now have 2 friends suffering from breathing related problems. One, like me, lives 12km out of town, you would think that an advantage. Hell no, I live near the junction of Hwy 36 and Sukhmvit, The heavy traffic going between Rayong and Laem Chabang (think Port) passes not far from my door. I dare not measure for fear of learning! Both these friends have spent time in hospitals in ICU.... 

Hoping for rain, well we got a splash of it yesterday, but in reality would not expect much until after Songkran! We have the heat of March and the equinox to come. 

Living further out from a city isn't going to help all that much as much of the haze is coming from field burning around Thailand and Cambodia. The NASA FIRMS (Fire Information for Resource Management System) site maps the fire hot spots around the world. Here's a screen shot of fire hot spots recorded in the last 24 hours. Note the high concentration of burns taking place in Cambodia.

image.png

• Like 1

On the BBC today.......The water drones....The school kids in facemarks......And the helpful theory that it's just the amount of apps and increased knowledge of the the dangers that's significant......Always been like this....Probably some truth there.

Today is great!

Actually did my beach walk without a mask 

Eating outside and making the most of it.

My monitor tells me it’s 25 and good on beach rd Jomtien 

Then one of those pick ups with fruit stopped right by my table  belching out fumes and a long queue of picky Russians squeezing melons and trying to barter

Fuck off!!!!

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, atlas2 said:

Today is great!

Actually did my beach walk without a mask 

Eating outside and making the most of it.

My monitor tells me it’s 25 and good on beach rd Jomtien 

I believe you had a fair sprinkling of rain yesterday, so that probably accounts for the improvement.

• 3 months later...

I too like air purifiers. The problem I have found is that new filters are difficult to find. I actually have two machines, both Hataris. The first one apparently went obsolete and filters were no longer available. I researched different brands but could not find replacement filters for them. That prompted me to buy another Hatari. Replacement filters are available but the price is around 1,300 baht. Pretty expensive for no longer than they last. As a side note, the difference between the older model filters and the newer model is the newer ones are a little longer. I did cut the top off a new filter and it seems to work fine in my old Hatari. You have to put the cut side up because otherwise the activated charcoal falls out and makes a mess.

My Daikin was nearly 25,000 baht.

needs a clean regularly ....easy to do... the main filter is only one that needs replacing.... on 8 hours a day they reckon every 10 years

On my usage I’ll probably get one or a new machine in about 5 years.

Incidently I noticed over the recent holiday for the coronation despite a rise in traffic pollution levels dropped to being very good 

the day the holidays finished and the factories started up again up went the pollution .

Edited by atlas2
1 hour ago, atlas2 said:

Incidently I noticed over the recent holiday for the coronation despite a rise in traffic pollution levels dropped to being very good 

the day the holidays finished and the factories started up again up went the pollution .

Yes, interesting. 

• 4 months later...