Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those that might be interested in how effective air purifiers are, here's a mini review of the Sharp FP-F3061-C that I've been using in my home office for a little over four years now. What prompt

To me the remarkable thing is dramatic improvement can be made in air quality and general well being. When i was a young kid the sides of main roads and interstate highways were littered with a foot o

This morning's efforts.  

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Back from a bicycle ride and while my lungs weren't complaining my eyes were seeing a lot of haze in the air for this time of year. The AirVisual site confirmed what my eyes were seeing.
Screen Shot 10-09-19 at 12.17 PM.JPG

What area were you cycling around...????

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Central and East Pattaya (aka darkside).

I don't really notice any haze in the Big C/Tesco/Pattaya Tai area and - like you - my lungs don't feel anything either...... I am normally out by 8am ...

19 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

I don't really notice any haze in the Big C/Tesco/Pattaya Tai area and - like you - my lungs don't feel anything either...... I am normally out by 8am ...

My ride was late morning. At moderate levels the haze is noticeable if you have clear line of sight for a bit of distance. I noticed it as I was riding down the road that parallels the RR.

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Think I'll have to practice breathing through my nose on my morning bike ride today.

Screen Shot 10-10-19 at 07.55 AM.JPG

When I crossed Sukumvit this morning before 8am I looked up towards the Pattaya Klang junction and saw exactly what you are refering to..... Normally I just go on in my merry way totally ignorant of my surroundings. I shall take more notice in future.

Got back from my bike ride just before the heavens opened up. It was a short lived thunderstorm, but the rain should help clean up the air a bit. Snapped this pic on my ride near the top of Khao Talo. A view I'm more used to seeing the end of December rather than near the beginning of October.

PA100004.jpg

21 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Got back from my bike ride just before the heavens opened up. It was a short lived thunderstorm, but the rain should help clean up the air a bit.

Well we have been having a good bit of that and it might explain why I can't get my pool to clean up!

On 10/10/2019 at 12:33 PM, forcebwithu said:

Got back from my bike ride just before the heavens opened up. It was a short lived thunderstorm, but the rain should help clean up the air a bit. Snapped this pic on my ride near the top of Khao Talo. A view I'm more used to seeing the end of December rather than near the beginning of October.

PA100004.jpg

Air quality is a lot better today even though the AQI is 69.

PA110008.jpg

PA110005.jpg

• Thanks 1

Excellent comparison photos!

I was out later than normal today because my wine shop doesn't open 'till 08:30 and I wanted to stock up.... Anyways - It certainly felt clearer this morning than previous mornings...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Due to the current issues with the Corona virus and discussions about mask wearing, I thought I'd bring this thread back up.

As I'll be flying back to the UK on Eva Air next week, my concerns were regarding the air quality in the plane, bearing in mind on the flight out here from the UK, all the cabin crew wore a mask all the time.  I've found only a few places around town selling masks, but some are more effective at keeping stuff out, rather than you spreading stuff around. But how can you tell the difference?

I bought from Fascino a pack of 'PM2.5" masks, but how good are they are keeping out stuff like this virus? And if you know somewhere to get a good quality mask (if mine are not good quality) within Pattaya, I'd be pleased for your recommendations.

Cheers Guys

KM

59 minutes ago, keyman said:

Due to the current issues with the Corona virus and discussions about mask wearing, I thought I'd bring this thread back up.

As I'll be flying back to the UK on Eva Air next week, my concerns were regarding the air quality in the plane, bearing in mind on the flight out here from the UK, all the cabin crew wore a mask all the time.  I've found only a few places around town selling masks, but some are more effective at keeping stuff out, rather than you spreading stuff around. But how can you tell the difference?

I bought from Fascino a pack of 'PM2.5" masks, but how good are they are keeping out stuff like this virus? And if you know somewhere to get a good quality mask (if mine are not good quality) within Pattaya, I'd be pleased for your recommendations.

Cheers Guys

KM

If you have respiratory issues, by all means mask up with the PM2.5 masks. If you're otherwise healthy, the AQI levels we're seeing in Pattaya are upwards of 150 and at that level you'll notice a haze in the air, but I've not noticed any congestion issues from the pollution. And I'm out on long bicycle rides for exercise most days.

For virus protection you'll need N95 masks, but even wearing one of them won't give you much protection. For the best virus protection you'll have to walk around with a face shield or goggles to keep the virus from entering your system via your eyes. If you're not a healthcare worker, the best protection from viruses is frequent hand washing.

The video in @BeerBelly's post below has a very good description of the proper protocol to follow for handwashing. The entire video is worth watching, but the handwashing part starts near the end at the 12:00 mark.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:44 AM, keyman said:

Cheers Guys

KM

The highest protection is N100 that's USA standard the EU equivalent is FFP3,They both filter 99% or slightly over, the N95 is 95%.the ones you have are the equivalent of N95 and FFP2 so they are probably OK.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

No water and unbreathable air. 

In November, the wind moves from north to south as I recall. How is the air quality then typically?

Early November it's fine. From later November until early March we get an increasing number of burning fields combined with seasonal temperature inversion layer that trap the shit close to the ground.

Temperature inversion, a reversal of the normal behaviour of temperature in the troposphere (the region of the atmosphere nearest the Earth’s surface), in which a layer of cool air at the surface is overlain by a layer of warmer air. (Under normal conditions air temperature usually decreases with height.)

temperature inversion

temperature inversionSmoke ceiling formed by a temperature inversion over Lochcarron, Scot., in 2006.Johantheghost/moonblink

Source: https://www.britannica.com/science/temperature-inversion

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

On my ride around Mabprachan Reservoir today I saw the Provincial Water Authority is doing its part to keep our AQI numbers up.

I hear the Thai authorities have reintroduced the ban on burning for the farmers. It doesn't start until March.... not that it will bother them. 

5 hours ago, jacko said:

I hear the Thai authorities have reintroduced the ban on burning for the farmers. It doesn't start until March.... not that it will bother them. 

Then it's just the Cambodians who can be blamed!

• 7 months later...