Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

It's getting to be that time of year again.

image.png

Out walking this morning and breathing was quite difficult but I just put it down to all the shit kicked up in the air from the roadworks on Pattaya Tai ..

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those that might be interested in how effective air purifiers are, here's a mini review of the Sharp FP-F3061-C that I've been using in my home office for a little over four years now. What prompt

To me the remarkable thing is dramatic improvement can be made in air quality and general well being. When i was a young kid the sides of main roads and interstate highways were littered with a foot o

This morning's efforts.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Bullfrog said:

Out walking this morning and breathing was quite difficult but I just put it down to all the shit kicked up in the air from the roadworks on Pattaya Tai ..

Felt the same on my bike ride today, thus why I decided to look up how bad the AQI was.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

Is this from burning the rice waste, autos, large industry up north? All of the above?

Hardly any burning taking place right now, so that's not the source. This is good site (link) to view the current burning situation.

What I think is happening is a combination of an inversion layer and photochemical smog.

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Hardly any burning taking place right now, so that's not the source. This is good site (link) to view the current burning situation.

What I think is happening is a combination of an inversion layer and photochemical smog.

After the Leeds game I went outside for a coffee and I felt the air was a bit "smokey".That was at 5am...

2 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

After the Leeds game I went outside for a coffee and I felt the air was a bit "smokey".That was at 5am...

I must admit, a few mornings this week, I opened the window and smelled burning. That would be pretty early too.... 5am.

5 hours ago, jacko said:

I must admit, a few mornings this week, I opened the window and smelled burning. That would be pretty early too.... 5am.

The cat has been sneezing a lot too .... but that could just be his way of telling me to take a shower!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

The haze was bad around 5am this morning. Jomtien Bangkok hospital was partially obscured by haze from less than 500m away !!! 

It is well still dark at that time..... but bad news nevertheless.  

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Out for a bike ride this morning and was thinking the haze sure looks thick this morning. AQI confirms what I was seeing. Not a healthy day to be out exercising.

I did a 3 hour walk this morning (06:30 to 09:30) and my breathing felt really good. Even the last bit, which is normally when I'm gasping for air, was OK ( Sukhumvit - Arunothai to Big C Pattaya Tai).

Very little traffic about too.

14 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

Very little traffic about too.

I am not surprised, I was on Tai yesterday, it is not suitable for traffic. 

For those that might be interested in how effective air purifiers are, here's a mini review of the Sharp FP-F3061-C that I've been using in my home office for a little over four years now. What prompted the review was a question on another forum on how effective the Sharp Clean Ion Shower is. Here's the CnP of the reply I posted.

Just turned my Clean Ion Shower on and like you can't smell anything different that would indicate it's having an effect.

As luck would have it though, my latest toy from Lazada arrived today. A SNDWAY SW-825 PM2.5 detector. So I ran some tests to see if the meter can quantify what my nose can't detect.

Outside the detector is currently showing this as the PM2.5 number.
P2270013.jpg

And just outside my office door...
P2270014.jpg

In the comfort of my office with the purifier going at the medium fan setting and no Clean Ion Shower it drops down to...
P22700012.jpg

And sitting on top of the purifier it's even a bit lower...
P2270001.jpg

However when I kicked on the Clean Ion Shower it immediately jumped up to around 12, probably because the increased fan speed was blowing accumulated dust out, but in a few minutes settled down to...
P2270003.jpg

Conclusion, Clean Ion Shower is probably not worth the extra cost, nor even the small bit of extra electricity required to run it.

Another data point. This morning the office reading was sitting at 67. I closed the window and door, turned on the A/C and air purifier and 30 minutes later the reading is now hovering between 2 and 3. My office is 4m x 4m to give you an idea of the volume of air that was cleaned over the course of half an hour. Quite happy with how effective the purifier is at cleansing the air.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • 9 months later...

It's that time of year again...

City residents warned of PM2.5 surge

Bangkok residents are being warned to brace for higher levels of hazardous particulate matter smaller than 2.5 microns (PM2.5), as so-called stagnant air is expected to intensify from tomorrow until Tuesday because of a drop in wind speeds.

Wish they would get it right. It's not a drop in wind speeds that causes an increase in pollution levels, it's the seasonal cold weather inversion layer that is keeping the shit close to the ground.

And the fact it’s bloody cold up north and the fires are burning to keep the locals warm. I was told up north it’s getting to single digit figures heavens above that’ll  be the return of the ice age. 
Putting it in to context my grandkids went to Lapland last week was telling me it was -25 degrees.

2 hours ago, Broughton said:

And the fact it’s bloody cold up north and the fires are burning to keep the locals warm. I was told up north it’s getting to single digit figures heavens above that’ll  be the return of the ice age. 
Putting it in to context my grandkids went to Lapland last week was telling me it was -25 degrees.

Not exactly bloody cold up north... 16 degrees at night and hitting 30 during the day. Certainly beats being in the UK where it was snowing when I left 6 days ago