Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Best SIM Cards for tourists - Update for Feb. 2019?

Hello,

there was a thread in 2017 about SIM cards for tourists - see below.

I will come to Pats in Feb 2019 for 10 days. I wonder if there are any updated recommendations for SIM Cards and places to have them installed?
I need just a few local phone calls and messages, and little in terms of data - primarily Google Maps with directions.

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Heinz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As  you exit the customs/baggage hall at Suvarnabhumi airport and turn right to head to the meeting points there are couple of mobile phone operators  on your left hand side.  I can't remember which c

I have had the same AIS number for years so I really cannot comment about other brands. Here is how I use it. I do stop at the arrivals hall now and get the whole thing fixed up for the month and

Nice posts.   In my third year of same AIS number myself.  Always check before I leave last trip of year that validity extends until first trip the following year - *121# provides the balance and vali

As  you exit the customs/baggage hall at Suvarnabhumi airport and turn right to head to the meeting points there are couple of mobile phone operators  on your left hand side.  I can't remember which companies are represented but last May I used the one that offered a tourist sim and it worked perfectly for the three weeks I was their.

You need to hand over your passport so they can copy the details and they will fit the sim to your phone and check it is working.  From memory I think it was around 480bt which included a set amount of talk time and a decent chunk of mobile data. 

Edited by kuranda_bagman
  • Upvote 1

If you can wait until you get to Patts head to tuk com. 2nd floor up the escalator to the left to telewiz, they will sort you out. I have been using 12 call from ais for 17 years, pay as you go plans. No complaints. I don't do a data plan but when i do need 4g i hit *500# and have enough for 9 baht 24 hours for what i need

DTAC AIS and True are all in the arrival hall. No need to wait till tukcom or anything like that. Sims are 50 Baht and they may try to get you to subscribe to a package (which are priced higher to catch the unwary). Ignore that and insist on the 50 baht Sim and then ask for 250 credit on top

In the interim before you get to Thailand just pick an appropriate package from one of the websites and beside it will have a "short code" to activate it via phone. Punch it in, reboot phone and you're up and running prior to leaving airport

All 3 providers do monthly "always on" connections for around 200 baht but pick one to suit yourself. If its general browsing simple 3g works fine let alone 4g which mine always shows in Pattaya anyway

Edited by Rawhide2

I came through the airport last week and the booths had long queues for sims. Bearing in mind you will have just come off a long flight, do you really want to spend more time queuing? Just my personal preference would be to follow Cbrib's idea and get one in tuk.com. No hassle, very straightforward and queue of only 1-2 people maybe.

I dont know how often you come to Patts, but I top mine up just before I leave to keep the same number/sim and just swap out my sim in the taxi on the way to Patts each visit. If I need more credit i just pay as I go.

hope that helps

KM

Edited by keyman

In the past, I've used 1-2 Call with no problem.  It pays to look into the different plans, though, as they have more than a few and the features differ.  For example, some plans may require topping up more frequently.  

Another thing I've been looking into is Google Fi.  I'm in the USA, and I can get Google Fi and keep my USA number for $39 a month for phone service and data.  Supposedly, the phone will work in 165 countries and there's no need to change sim cards every time you change countries.  Somehow, the phone knows where you are and makes the necessary adjustments, automatically.  Anyway, I have an extra phone around that I can use with the Google Fi.  I'll use another phone for the Thai sim card, so I guess I'll have two phones and two phone numbers.  Probably won't use the Thai phone too much.

4 hours ago, js007 said:

In the past, I've used 1-2 Call with no problem.  It pays to look into the different plans, though, as they have more than a few and the features differ.  For example, some plans may require topping up more frequently.  

Another thing I've been looking into is Google Fi.  I'm in the USA, and I can get Google Fi and keep my USA number for $39 a month for phone service and data.  Supposedly, the phone will work in 165 countries and there's no need to change sim cards every time you change countries.  Somehow, the phone knows where you are and makes the necessary adjustments, automatically.  Anyway, I have an extra phone around that I can use with the Google Fi.  I'll use another phone for the Thai sim card, so I guess I'll have two phones and two phone numbers.  Probably won't use the Thai phone too much.

My wife and I have had Google Fi for about 3 years. It has been great for staying in touch with USA. Texting is included, calls are inexpensive and data is same price as home. For Thai contacts we use Line , What's App or Facebook messenger.

15 hours ago, Catbear said:

My wife and I have had Google Fi for about 3 years. It has been great for staying in touch with USA. Texting is included, calls are inexpensive and data is same price as home. For Thai contacts we use Line , What's App or Facebook messenger.

What about people who want a Thai number?  For example, my Thai bank?  It would be nice if I could do without a Thai number, but that sounds like it won't happen.  Anyway, the sim cards are cheap and with "pay as you go" pricing, it doesn't need to cost too much.  

3 hours ago, js007 said:

What about people who want a Thai number?  For example, my Thai bank?  It would be nice if I could do without a Thai number, but that sounds like it won't happen.  Anyway, the sim cards are cheap and with "pay as you go" pricing, it doesn't need to cost too much.  

Do not have a situation that requires a Thai # (no Thai bank) so above works for us.

T-mobile One has a deal similar to Google Fi for international use, although not quite as good. It gives unlimited 2G data for surfing and unlimited texting, and $.25 per minute for calling. Since most people text rather than call, so I will use the line app to talk to Thai friends.

7 hours ago, Catbear said:

Do not have a situation that requires a Thai # (no Thai bank) so above works for us.

Yes, if you do not have a bank account in Thailand you could get by without. But how about getting on-line with your phone. Data requires a network number, even Wi-Fi available in Malls often originates from the networks provided free to their customers. Free Wi-Fi is usually crap. There will be a lot of freeloaders on a free WI-Fi, or even managing to get onto a business network. If one Thai knows the password, all her friends will too. As I learned on Soi Chaiyapoon recently. All the girls were on the restaurant opposite's Wi-Fi!

Edited by jacko
23 hours ago, jacko said:

Yes, if you do not have a bank account in Thailand you could get by without. But how about getting on-line with your phone. Data requires a network number, even Wi-Fi available in Malls often originates from the networks provided free to their customers. Free Wi-Fi is usually crap. There will be a lot of freeloaders on a free WI-Fi, or even managing to get onto a business network. If one Thai knows the password, all her friends will too. As I learned on Soi Chaiyapoon recently. All the girls were on the restaurant opposite's Wi-Fi!

No Google Fi is regular phone service with data. The data is billed to us @ $10 per GB, same as at home in USA.. Our phone calls to home are billed @ .20 per minute and texts are N/C . We also use the condo wi fi when we are there so that data is not charged only the data from the phone company. I do not know which Thai phone company Google Fi partners with but I seldem have any problems.

1 minute ago, Catbear said:

No Google Fi is regular phone service with data. The data is billed to us @ $10 per GB, same as at home in USA.. Our phone calls to home are billed @ .20 per minute and texts are N/C . We also use the condo wi fi when we are there so that data is not charged only the data from the phone company. I do not know which Thai phone company Google Fi partners with but I seldem have any problems.

I haven't researched it, but generally USA phone plans are very expensive and poor compared to what is offered in say the UK. They often tie you in to rather domineering contracts too, along with companies that deliberately restrict the phone's capabilities.  (I can get a plan in the UK offering 5000 minute, 5000 texts and a huge 20GB of data at under $25/month, and this will work all over the EU)

But you do offer a fair deal for USA guys travelling here. 

I have had the same AIS number for years so I really cannot comment about other brands. Here is how I use it.

I do stop at the arrivals hall now and get the whole thing fixed up for the month and paid for. The plans seem to be changing regularly so I tell the ladies what I want and they install and set up. OK, occasionally there are a few people there but bugger the cabbie waiting. He will stop for gas anyway! By the way, by going onto the AIS web site you can do a bit of pre planning as to the right sim for you before you get up to the counter. 

One response says to pay and top up on one trip and activate on the next. This does not always work as if you have too much credit it will automatically renew even if your not in Thailand. I want data when I arrive so that I can do a bit phoning in the cab. I need data as I use LINE almost exclusively in Thailand. 

In Pattaya I am sure to be in Central so I use the office there and put say 100 dollars in the machine and put in 5 x 20 baht top ups. Each top up gives me a month in advance. I am currently about 10 months ahead. 

I suspect that it does not matter where you go and what card you get. For me, I have made decision to keep the same number as long as I can and for that reason AIS has suited me with its 12 month life as long as I keep it topped up. I also believe that the reach is better with AIS but again, only what I believe. 

As a matter of interest, I spend for a month about 450 baht for around a 4 gig fast plan and I top up say about 100 for phone and text calls using AIS. This just about is fine for me as I also use the sim as a hot spot for my lap top  so a bit of decent speed data suits me.  

• Like 1

I’ve read that some of the Thai phone companies have better service in rural areas of the country, but I guess for me, that doesn’t much matter.  For other people, that might be a big deal.

13 hours ago, teelack said:

I have had the same AIS number for years so I really cannot comment about other brands. Here is how I use it.

I do stop at the arrivals hall now and get the whole thing fixed up for the month and paid for. The plans seem to be changing regularly so I tell the ladies what I want and they install and set up. OK, occasionally there are a few people there but bugger the cabbie waiting. He will stop for gas anyway! By the way, by going onto the AIS web site you can do a bit of pre planning as to the right sim for you before you get up to the counter. 

One response says to pay and top up on one trip and activate on the next. This does not always work as if you have too much credit it will automatically renew even if your not in Thailand. I want data when I arrive so that I can do a bit phoning in the cab. I need data as I use LINE almost exclusively in Thailand. 

In Pattaya I am sure to be in Central so I use the office there and put say 100 dollars in the machine and put in 5 x 20 baht top ups. Each top up gives me a month in advance. I am currently about 10 months ahead. 

I suspect that it does not matter where you go and what card you get. For me, I have made decision to keep the same number as long as I can and for that reason AIS has suited me with its 12 month life as long as I keep it topped up. I also believe that the reach is better with AIS but again, only what I believe. 

As a matter of interest, I spend for a month about 450 baht for around a 4 gig fast plan and I top up say about 100 for phone and text calls using AIS. This just about is fine for me as I also use the sim as a hot spot for my lap top  so a bit of decent speed data suits me.  

Me and MrsFiend do the same, we get sufficient top-ups to extend our sim card validity until our next trip, but not enough credit so that it is used up automatically renewing the package the following month.

I've had the same AIS number for about 5 years now.

16 hours ago, js007 said:

I’ve read that some of the Thai phone companies have better service in rural areas of the country, but I guess for me, that doesn’t much matter.  For other people, that might be a big deal.

Sure, very relevant. My Mrs goes to her home village a lot and switched to the network that had better coverage for data there, from the one that used to have best telephone network coverage. 

• 1 month later...

I’ve generally used DTac and True and had no problems with either.

currently with Dtac and can top up from my thai bank account and current top-ups mean the number will still be active when i get back again in november

3 hours ago, stoace said:

I’ve generally used DTac and True and had no problems with either.

currently with Dtac and can top up from my thai bank account and current top-ups mean the number will still be active when i get back again in november

My DTAC sim extends by 12 months whenever I put any credit on, I had a friend put 300 baht on for me in Jan 2018 (long story) my sim card was still working in Dec 2018 and continued till Jan 2019 when I put more credit on so now will be active till Jan 2020.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:14 PM, too_mutt said:

T-mobile One has a deal similar to Google Fi for international use, although not quite as good. It gives unlimited 2G data for surfing and unlimited texting, and $.25 per minute for calling. Since most people text rather than call, so I will use the line app to talk to Thai friends.

T-Mobile free data and text msgs are included with most domestic plans. I will just need a Thai SIM for calls. Will that make a difference which local SIM I choose?

As opposed to tuk com,why not just go to Central Festival?

Edited by 4wheels
On 1/23/2019 at 11:39 PM, TheFiend said:

Me and MrsFiend do the same, we get sufficient top-ups to extend our sim card validity until our next trip, but not enough credit so that it is used up automatically renewing the package the following month.

I've had the same AIS number for about 5 years now.

Nice posts.   In my third year of same AIS number myself.  Always check before I leave last trip of year that validity extends until first trip the following year - *121# provides the balance and validity date (as I'm sure you know - added for others who may not...)  Validity is most important as you would know - think it's only a few weeks past expiry then the number is DEAD FOREVER.

Personally, and only my preference, I use https://mobiletopup.com/ for all my topups.  Those orange machines scare me ?  Website for me is very convenient and never a problem and their fee is very small ?

Use a dual sim phone, so on arrival BKK, the settings are tweaked to sim #2. et voila... I stay now for 30 day periods so the package I select from AIS for the month is 481.5B for 4Mbps a month *777*7155#.  Simply poke that stuff in while in taxi on way to Pattaya.  (No auto renewals for me)  If hotel or guesthouse wifi is down or inadequate, then I can usb tether mobile to laptop with no problems.  Speed and data fine.

Cheers...

• Thanks 1

I use the orange boxes outside the convenience store to add 'units' to my AIS sim. For as little as 20 baht top up, I get extended validity for 30 more days; it does cost two baht surcharge but still a deal.

Any idea how long a SIM is valid once a month is up? I left early December, will be back March 15th, still have my DTAC SIM and just want the 5 GIG one month plan again.