Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Best SIM Cards for tourists - Update for Feb. 2019?

4 minutes ago, Grandpollo said:

Any idea how long a SIM is valid once a month is up? I left early December, will be back March 15th, still have my DTAC SIM and just want the 5 GIG one month plan again.

It seems to vary depending on carrier and the plan. I used to have what seemed like unlimited validity, but realized I was paying OTT for calls to other networks. I still seem to carry a years validity which is refreshed each top up. Top ups are no issue wherever I am, having mobile banking and the AIS App on the phone.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As  you exit the customs/baggage hall at Suvarnabhumi airport and turn right to head to the meeting points there are couple of mobile phone operators  on your left hand side.  I can't remember which c

I have had the same AIS number for years so I really cannot comment about other brands. Here is how I use it. I do stop at the arrivals hall now and get the whole thing fixed up for the month and

Nice posts.   In my third year of same AIS number myself.  Always check before I leave last trip of year that validity extends until first trip the following year - *121# provides the balance and vali

44 minutes ago, Grandpollo said:

Any idea how long a SIM is valid once a month is up? I left early December, will be back March 15th, still have my DTAC SIM and just want the 5 GIG one month plan again.

Suggest you email DTAC,  provide number and ask both the current BALANCE and VALIDITY.  If your validity is getting close to expiry and you still have some funds in your balance, then ask them if they would extend the validity by taking some Baht from the balance.  This is what happened to me a few years ago when I did not understand balance and validity while using AIS.  Anyway, you're back in a few weeks.   My validity was going to expire months before I was due back.

Other option is to have an op on the ground who also uses DTAC to top up your phone.   Normally each top up, however small, gives an extra month validity.  Might cost ya a beer or two ? 

Sorry, not sure how this works but before i switched to a postpaid plan, i would hand a Thai Girl my phone  at the Beer Garden and she would put in some numbers and extend my validity for up to one year. If i top up i only got 1 month.  If you stop at a DTAC office they could explain or extend your phone for a year.

10 hours ago, Grandpollo said:

I don't know about DTAC, but at AIS, it used to depend on the particular plan you were using.    Some plans may require topping up on a monthly basis, others less frequently.   Maybe that's not such a big deal, so long as you can top up online from anywhere.  

47 minutes ago, 4wheels said:

My US phone has unlimited data and text.

It may have unlimited data by Wi-Fi connection, (where a free on is available) how about when on network connection? I am not particularly knowledgeable about this but have always felt the USA networks to be rather manipulative and restrictive. Most people travelling swap SIMs to a local one when they arrive. I do when I go to the UK. 

17 minutes ago, jacko said:

It may have unlimited data by Wi-Fi connection, (where a free on is available) how about when on network connection? I am not particularly knowledgeable about this but have always felt the USA networks to be rather manipulative and restrictive. Most people travelling swap SIMs to a local one when they arrive. I do when I go to the UK. 

WiFi not necessary. Times have changed drastically in the past 2 years regarding what is offered when traveling abroad. I get unlimited free talk,text and web in Canada and Mexico (surrounding countries) from T-Mobile. I have a few unlocked smartphones I prefer to carry when abroad that I prefer to use than carrying a brand new iPhone. Some places I will use it in Patts but not everywhere. That is the reason I asked which carrier SIM is best deal for calls only. I was with 1 2 Call a decade ago.

"With T-Mobile ONE™, you get unlimited texting and data at up to 2G speeds in 210+ countries and destinations—all at no extra cost".

Edited by 4wheels
4 minutes ago, 4wheels said:

Times have changed drastically in the past 2 years regarding what is offered when traveling abroad. I get unlimited free talk,text and web in Canada and Mexico (surrounding countries) from T-Mobile.

Well I guess T-Mobile have an arrangement with one of the main networks in Thailand to give you this 4G support for free. Have they got rid of that CDMA crap yet?

13 minutes ago, jacko said:

Well I guess T-Mobile have an arrangement with one of the main networks in Thailand to give you this 4G support for free. Have they got rid of that CDMA crap yet?

Not just Thailand but 200+ countries. In the US, Sprint, Verizon, and US Cellular use CDMA. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM.  

New phones can use both networks using dual SIMs. Some are preparing for the early introduction of 5G. But I usually keep my absurdly priced phones for 3 years,so I expect when I buy again,5G will be fully implemented and all phones will be capable by then.

Edited by 4wheels
56 minutes ago, jacko said:

Hey CDMA used to be great for out in the sticks in Oz, all other phones couldn't pick up a signal but my trusty CDMA phone could.?

I used True for several years, then started having problems with the WiFi Internet. I discovered that their service department sucks big time. I had a hissy fit and cut up three True SIM cards, credit and all. The office where my wife signed up for post paid refused to cancel the post paid and she had to drive 50 kilometers to a bigger shop to cancel. They charged her an extra month to cancel. I'll NEVER use True again. I now have four AIS Sim's. I think AIS has the best coverage and signal strength. I was a little irritated when AIS got into a pissing contest with 7-11 and you can no longer top up at 7-11 shops.

As far as service I think D-Tac is the best but unfortunately out here in the boonies, their coverage is limited with no Internet in many places. AIS is far from perfect but at least it always works no matter where I am at.

11 minutes ago, Gary said:

I used True for several years, then started having problems with the WiFi Internet. I discovered that their service department sucks big time. I had a hissy fit and cut up three True SIM cards, credit and all. The office where my wife signed up for post paid refused to cancel the post paid and she had to drive 50 kilometers to a bigger shop to cancel. They charged her an extra month to cancel. I'll NEVER use True again. I now have four AIS Sim's. I think AIS has the best coverage and signal strength. I was a little irritated when AIS got into a pissing contest with 7-11 and you can no longer top up at 7-11 shops.

As far as service I think D-Tac is the best but unfortunately out here in the boonies, their coverage is limited with no Internet in many places. AIS is far from perfect but at least it always works no matter where I am at.

I use AIS for a couple of reasons Gary has outlined. Out there in Nakhon Nowhere (in the jungle of the north west) I have found AIS to provide the best of what is available.  I regularly send my Thai missus money to help with her house payments, car payments, and to pay university fees for the "daughter".  I ask her to stick 100 baht on my AIS SIM every now and then to keep it active, and I have plenty on it to cover my trips.  Works for me too.

5 hours ago, yorta2 said:

I use AIS for a couple of reasons Gary has outlined. Out there in Nakhon Nowhere (in the jungle of the north west) I have found AIS to provide the best of what is available.  I regularly send my Thai missus money to help with her house payments, car payments, and to pay university fees for the "daughter".  I ask her to stick 100 baht on my AIS SIM every now and then to keep it active, and I have plenty on it to cover my trips.  Works for me too.

Let me add to your reasons. I have had AIS for years and the same number. Every shopping centre has an AIS outlet and I use the machine to top up. 20 baht gets you a months extention up to 12 months and I am at the moment covered for that period. Add this to the fact that I rarely need to wait more than 5 minutes for an updated monthly plan to be put into my phone and activated at the airport on arrival. This way I get a professional installation and the latest plans. As long as my phone has less credit than the plan it wont roll over when I leave Thailand and I keep my credit for my next visit. What could be simpler and more cost effective? 

Dont forget, and I repeat, rather than bung in 100 baht, put in 5 x 20 bahts and get five months rather than one. 

• Upvote 1

For the first time in years, on my last trip in January, I did not use a SIM. I could not top up my old one, so I used a combination of Whatsapp and FB messenger to stay in touch with friends, as there is a wifi signal in most places these days  The downside, is that where the signal is weaker,  actual voice calls can be a pain and start to break up, but text messages usually quick.  

On 3/3/2019 at 7:28 PM, Barhop said:

Suggest you email DTAC,  provide number and ask both the current BALANCE and VALIDITY.  If your validity is getting close to expiry and you still have some funds in your balance, then ask them if they would extend the validity by taking some Baht from the balance.  This is what happened to me a few years ago when I did not understand balance and validity while using AIS.  Anyway, you're back in a few weeks.   My validity was going to expire months before I was due back.

Other option is to have an op on the ground who also uses DTAC to top up your phone.   Normally each top up, however small, gives an extra month validity.  Might cost ya a beer or two ? 

I have no idea of the local number (in November/December I honestly never made or received an actual phone call and made and received one SMS to/from my daughter so she could add it as a contact) , but I was hoping at the DTAC counter I can find that out, avoid the fee for a new SIM and the passport stuff and all that. Well, it costs nothing to ask them to scan the SIM and maybe I save three bucks. 

3 hours ago, Grandpollo said:

I have no idea of the local number (in November/December I honestly never made or received an actual phone call and made and received one SMS to/from my daughter so she could add it as a contact) , but I was hoping at the DTAC counter I can find that out, avoid the fee for a new SIM and the passport stuff and all that. Well, it costs nothing to ask them to scan the SIM and maybe I save three bucks. 

It would seem simple to ask anybody with a phone, or sat nearby to receive a text or a hang up call to relay the number back to you. Does your daughter not have the number?  Is it IOS or Android...

Edited by jacko

DTAC Happy USSD Codes:
Check your remaining balance – Press: *101*9# or *101#
Check your Internet credit – Press: *101*4*9#
Check your SMS credit – Press: *101*2*9#
Check your Happy for free credit – Press: *101*5*9#
Find out your phone number – Press: *102*9#
Check your Promotion – Press: *103*9# – Switch plans IVR: Press *1003 press 9.

But you;ll need to be in Thailand I suspect for the codes to work

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Regyai said:

DTAC Happy USSD Codes:
Check your remaining balance – Press: *101*9# or *101#
Check your Internet credit – Press: *101*4*9#
Check your SMS credit – Press: *101*2*9#
Check your Happy for free credit – Press: *101*5*9#
Find out your phone number – Press: *102*9#
Check your Promotion – Press: *103*9# – Switch plans IVR: Press *1003 press 9.

But you;ll need to be in Thailand I suspect for the codes to work

I suspect the same. And I will be at the DTAC counter first, though I could fiddle with it waiting for my suitcase. 

Something I would like to know with DTAC is when you buy the 1 month/ X GB package (which I think was 5GB) they say something is allocated to SMS and calls but they don't say how much.

If you add Baht to the account is that all towards SMS/calls? Assuming one runs out. Calls and SMS have mostly been superseded by Line/WhatsApp/Messenger and such locally and back to home. 

I am going to try the codes here at home now just for the heck of it. Nope no luck. 

2 minutes ago, TheFiend said:

3 minutes ago, TheFiend said:

My AIS SIM picks up the EE network in the UK and have been able to do things like check my balance from the UK.

Similarly, in Australia I can access my AIS numbers for info. and, when my regular phone I use here stuffed up, I used my 

Thai one for a few days making regular Australian calls, using up most of my accumulated Thai credit.

8 minutes ago, TheFiend said:

My AIS SIM picks up the EE network in the UK and have been able to do things like check my balance from the UK.

I forget which network my AIS went onto, I thought it was Vodaphone. I could receive SMS for free so no issues with banking. Checking balance etc was trivial as I could do it online from my phone on O2 data or laptop. 

Edited by jacko
12 minutes ago, jacko said:

I forget which network my AIS went onto, I thought it was Vodaphone. I could receive SMS for free so no issues with banking. Checking balance etc was trivial as I could do it online from my phone on O2 data or laptop

Have tried that numerous times myself with no success.  If I try to log into my AIS account, from either desktop or laptop, it requires input of a OTP which it has sent to my phone.  I never receive this OTP while in Oz.  Confuses me a little, as AIS is able to send me me advert style SMS's almost daily via my TPG SIM1.  (Normally I have my SIM2 turned off, but have had it on whiile trying to log in this time).  In my phone settings, it says: - "SIM slot 2; SIM name AIS; Operator AIS; Number unknown"

Icons at top of mobile show Wifi On; SIM1 On; SIM2 blank.  Just to really confuse the situation, top left of phone screen says TPG - no service, yet wifi and SIM1 lights are on, and the phone works and online internet works???  So clearly TPG is providing service.  I can normally work my way eventually through stuff like this, but really stumped with this.

Leaving SIM2 on...

Any ideas please?

8 hours ago, Barhop said:

If I try to log into my AIS account, from either desktop or laptop, it requires input of a OTP

Well I can log on with fingerprint on the phone, also PIN received using Thai Sim in UK on roaming (I  use a different phone).

Why does SIM 2 show blank, seems incorrect. Do you have  roaming enabled for your Thai SIM? 

Try to get the Thai SIM to go to a different network.

Edited by jacko
2 minutes ago, jacko said:

Well I can log on with fingerprint on the phone, also PIN received using Thai Sim in UK on roaming (I  use a different phone).

Why does SIM 2 show blank, seems incorrect. Do you have  roaming enabled for your Thai SIM

Try to get the Thai SIM to go to a different network.

Thanks for the reply.  Looks like I am stuck with what I have got.  Tried the roaming with TPG last year and got hit with a deposit of $500 to enable.  Eventually the deposit was soaked up by the monthly computer and phone accounts, so OK, but still a PIA.

And even last year with roaming enabled, there seemed no extra access that enabled me to receive the AIS OTP.  Bugga, the OTP is the only thing I need and yet they send advert SMS's often through TPG!?!?!? Oh well ?

Ahhh, the different network attempt for sim2 sounded promising but got to ALLOW DATA ROAMING? with the warning YOU MAY INCUR SIGNIFICANT CHARGES  Which is what happened last year, with $500 deposit...  so declined ?

Bugga...