Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Boeing 777x - The future?

I've been reading up on the new 777x and it seems to be getting closer to the actual test flight stage, (Q2 2019) with deliveries expected in 2020 (as I understand it). From first impressions it appears to be quite revolutionary in a number of areas, not least the Engine design and development, along with folding wingtips and pax capacity of over 400.

Some are saying this could kill off the A380. I'm not so sure if that is a fair or relevant comparison, perhaps putting it up against the A350 might be better, here's an interesting comparison:

https://simpleflying.com/777x-vs-a350/

Anyway, speaking of Engines, here's the new GE9x strapped to a 747, the comparison to the GECF6 this particular 747 has, to give y'all an idea.

Either way, hopefully it'll be better for the end user (us) in both comfort and reduction of costs.

9x-1-1521147153.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

How much cheaper can flights get ?. unless you mean the expensive end of the planes which so few of us have ever tasted, but seriously flying is so cheap now how do you make it cheaper.

Thai flew the A350 for a short period on the LHR route and I loved it, much better than the 773.

As for 10 seats across in Economy, I already feel squashed if my 3 are full. ?

19 hours ago, sinbinjack said:

How much cheaper can flights get ?. unless you mean the expensive end of the planes which so few of us have ever tasted, but seriously flying is so cheap now how do you make it cheaper.

I think by making the expensive end more expensive!

I've read somewhere "they" came up with a new lithium/aluminum alloy that has the same strength to weight ratio as composites. So, the fuselage of the new 777s will be "usual" metal frame and skin, but the wings will be composites.
They can make shapes with the composites that just can't be done with metals, supposedly. Boeing has constructed a huge building in Everett, WA (where they make everything but the 737) just to make composite wings. The building is gigantic, so I would think they have plans to use it to make more than 777 wings. Perhaps, bring the 787 wing manufacturing home from Japan? 

In the aviation news yesterday was the rumor that Airbus will announce, sometime in the next couple of weeks, they will stop producing the A380. The rumor was from a "reputable" source so it has been given some credit.

Edited by Samsonite
Typo.
7 hours ago, Samsonite said:

I've read somewhere "they" came up with a new lithium/aluminum alloy that has the same strength to weight ratio as composites. So, the fuselage of the new 777s will be "usual" metal frame and skin, but the wings will be composites.
The can make shapes with the composites that just can't be done with metals, supposedly. Boeing has constructed a huge building in Everett, WA (where they make everything but the 737) just to make composite wings. The building is gigantic, so I would think they have plans to use it to make more than 777 wings. Perhaps, bring the 787 wing manufacturing home from Japan? 

In the aviation news yesterday was the rumor that Airbus will announce, sometime in the next couple of weeks, they will stop producing the A380. The rumor was from a "reputable" source so it has been given some credit.

From memory,t he reason Boeing sourced the wings to Japan is becase they partnered with boeing and took some of the financial risks, so cutting them off and bringing them home could be a violation of their contract.

And is anybody surprised that the 380 is shutting down? They don't have any new orders, thats why!

On 2/10/2019 at 2:42 AM, sinbinjack said:

good question, as Jacko said maybe offering better comfort for less. I agree, flying is cheap at the moment, possibly in part due to the cheap price of oil. Shockingly enough I just looked at a ticket and saw how much is made up in taxes here in the UK. The base fare itself is , as you say, cheap.

I think an improvement in comfort would be nice. no one wants to be in Econ for a long flight, and econ seems to be getting smaller and smaller. Premier econ is now a gateway drug into business, but I think that we might see more PE classes as travellers are tempted by the price point and enhanced comfort on long haul.

7 hours ago, Butch said:

I think an improvement in comfort would be nice. no one wants to be in Econ for a long flight, and econ seems to be getting smaller and smaller. Premier econ is now a gateway drug into business, but I think that we might see more PE classes as travellers are tempted by the price point and enhanced comfort on long haul.

The other end of it is that Biz, with the main carriers, is quite a high standard these days but also a high price to pay. Obviously the market seems to uphold this price.They have made Economy so cheap, and let us be honest, so crap, that anybody older, richer, less physically fit is not keen, or maybe able, to stand up to 12+ hours of it. I don't know how full the expensive front end is these days, I wanted to book Emirates and sit up front on the A380 last year, far too expensive. Now the A380 will stop production in 2 years, that level of comfort will perhaps vanish. I just booked a mid-range flight, not a budget carrier. I booked Economy, Biz would have been 4x the price, and it wasn't especially cheap at the back. That's Thai for you.

I hope this 777-X is not as bad as the uncomfortable and noisy 777-200 ER I last flew on.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, jacko said:

.............I hope this 777-X is not as bad as the uncomfortable and noisy 777-200 ER I last flew on.

As I, and others, have said before, the number of seats, their size and how far apart they are, is up to the airline. Some airlines will stuff as many seats in the cabin as possible and the public be damned. The latest trend has been to make the bathrooms so small many people find them almost impossible to use. Why? So the airline can squeeze in a another row of seats.

Some airlines do the interiors themselves and others have Airbus or Boeing do it. Still others have it done by a third party.  Boeing has a "showroom" where the customer can pick out the type and brand of seats, the galleys (kitchens), heads (bathrooms), etc. ,etc., etc.

I've had many very comfortable flights on the 747 and I've had two very unpleasant flights both on JAL 747s. Two of the most comfortable flights that come to mind were both on Korean Air 777-200ERs.

Edited by Samsonite
Typo.
  • Upvote 1

I agree Samsonite, years ago I flew a KLM 747 into Cape Town, it was relatively spacious and comfortable , the equivalent SA Airlines 747 plane was cramped, uncomfortable and truly horrific.

The old EVA 747 were Combi's iirc, they were also pretty good in econ and Elite was awesome, at the time only £150 more on top for a return trip , so it was a no brainer for 12 hours.

• Like 2
On 1/20/2019 at 2:47 PM, Butch said:

Some are saying this could kill off the A380. I'm not so sure if that is a fair or relevant comparison, perhaps putting it up against the A350 might be better, here's an interesting comparison:

I read in the Wall Street Journal last week the A380 is close to being cancelled due to lack of orders.

1 hour ago, BigDUSA said:

I read in the Wall Street Journal last week the A380 is close to being cancelled due to lack of orders.

Airbus announced the halting of production of the A380 on 14 Feb.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/02/citing-lack-of-demand-airbus-cancels-a380-superjumbo-aircraft/

That's a real pity. Emirates A380 was probably the quietest most comfortable plane I've ever flown on. I choose to fly economy as I can survive a 12 hour flight if I have more to spend on accommadation food drinks and girls. But the A380 was definitely the way to go. Came back on a Quantas 747 and it just wasn't as good.

• Upvote 1

Airbus are stopping production, but the A380 will be around for many years.... I imagine Emirates will keep hold of some longer than than they normally keep their aircraft for slot restricted routes like DXB-LHR and invest in a mid-life refurbishment.

Sadly, Qatar have already announced they will offload theirs when they reach 10 years old

4 hours ago, TheFiend said:

Sadly, Qatar have already announced they will offload theirs when they reach 10 years old

To who I wonder?